PDA

View Full Version : Big and Small - Linux

Mazza558
December 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM
The idea of this thread is to name something big, something really important to you functionally, in terms of your preference or simply just the ideology of Linux. Then, name something small / insignificant about it that is just a nice touch that you like, and makes your time using Linux slightly easier...

Big: Being able to run plenty of programs simultaneously with no slowdown is an absolute boon to me.

Small: AWN shows the status when copying/moving files simply based on a white square slowly filling up.

jpittack
December 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I have an unhealthy addiction to computers. I want to change them as much as I can, so that they are faster, more secure, easier to use, look nice, and make me want to use my computer for something else then video games and tweaking. That would be the really big thing. On my incomplete list, compile a fast, hardened kernel, from the 2.6.24 based when it comes out. Learn everything and apply from bodhi.zazen's security sticky. Find some way to overclock my FSB to let my RAM run at native speeds. On and on and on.

Little things? The repos. Find new stuff all the time. Too bad I screwed up, and now have no ability to enter the package manager, or update for that matter. On to the reinstall! (I'm addicted to that from Windows)

SonicSteve
December 12th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Really Big,
The ability to easily authenticate to Windows Server Active Directory. I'm hoping that with the next version of Samba it won't be long before this a reality.

Small but nice,
I can't think of anything that seems small.

Lostincyberspace
December 12th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Big: Being able to freely use and distribute one of my favorite programs.

Medium: Not having to worry about some one finding out that I am not paying for software.

Small: Being able to control what my computer works like to lengthy extent.

Priceless: Being able to make My friends jealous.

smartboyathome
December 12th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Big: Being able to customize every part of my Linux Desktop.

Small: A lot of open source programs are available for windows as well.

-grubby
December 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM
big: no malware
medium: lot's of free software
small: desktop customization

Warren Watts
December 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Big: Being able to build fully functional, usable computers using old outdated hardware that was either given to me or recovered from the trash. I have four Linux PC's: a 450 MHz PIII, a 550 Mhz PII, a 700 MHz Duron, and a 1GHz Duron , none of which have more than 384 MB of RAM or larger than a 14 GB hard drive. They are all networked together, with the 550 Mhz box acting as a Web and file server. I don't have ONE RED CENT invested in any of them.

Little: Introducing my children to GNU/Linux and the world of Open Source. Both of my kids, age 10 and 13, have completely adapted to Linux, and actually prefer it to windows. My 13 year old makes regular use of the command line, and knows GIMP better than I do!

akiratheoni
December 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Big: Having something that when it breaks, I know I can fix it. If I can't, I know I have a reliable community to help me with my problems. Also, being able to customize my desktop to however I like it and having choice. No malware at all either.

Small: No need to deal with product keys... learned this when I had to install Vista and Microsoft Office again! :P