PDA

View Full Version : Why Are You Here?

Eddie Wilson
December 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Good Day All,
This is just something I've noticed in the Ubuntu forums and not much in other forums. Quite a lot of the people here do not use Ubuntu at all. You will see, Mandriva user, openSUSE user, Debian user, Nexenta user, Fedora user, Sabayon user, Slackware user, and that is just to name a few. Also you will see Windows user. Why do you all hang out here? Is it the people, the amount of people or does your distro not have a good forum? I've even seen Windows user giving advice to linux users. I just really find this fascinating. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but it just seems that a lot of wrong information could be giving out. All linux distros are not created equal. And granted you do see this more in the community forums than in the support forums and thats fine also. I guess all forums gets all kinds of people it just seems that I do see a lot of people here jump the Ubuntu ship for another distro. I find that strange also. No fights please, I was just trying to get the feel of why people do change and still remain the same.
Thaniks,
Eddie

LaRoza
December 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
This is a very large forum, with many types of users, so it is no surprise to see all sorts of users here. Members who use other distros, OSX or Windows, probably have used Ubuntu and joined then and found the forum to be useful beyond Ubuntu.

Eddie Wilson
December 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
This is a very large forum, with many types of users, so it is no surprise to see all sorts of users here. Members who use other distros, OSX or Windows, probably have used Ubuntu and joined then and found the forum to be useful beyond Ubuntu.

Probably, but I can't see why a person who has gone back to Windows would come here. Maybe OSX but not Windows. Then again this is a community forum.
Eddie

Lostincyberspace
December 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
There are many different versions of Linux but at the heart they are still just that Linux.

Whiffle
December 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM
No idea why I come here. I have one computer running ubuntu, but probably not for long, but I guess I like troubleshooting stuff.

Harpalus
December 11th, 2007, 09:43 PM
There are many different versions of Linux but at the heart they are still just that Linux.

Hell, I'm an OpenBSD user, and I find Linux in general to be poorly written, poorly implemented, and poorly thought out. Doesn't stop me from posting. I'm here for lack of a better forum to poke about in. I like the bean count thing. Forget who it belonged to, but as I was poking about for the first time (looking at software people found interesting, incidentally), I noticed somebody with an avatar of a "mad hatter", with a Debian feather in the hat and an Ubuntu logo in the centre of the hat. Thought that was really neat, and combined with the coffee theme, made me stick around, if only to read threads. (Rarely post, admittedly)

LaRoza
December 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Probably, but I can't see why a person who has gone back to Windows would come here. Maybe OSX but not Windows. Then again this is a community forum.
Eddie

"Going back" is not really exclusive to using Windows only. They may still dualboot or use Ubuntu in a VM, or just have to use Windows for what they are doing.

akiratheoni
December 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Well, you can still get support for other distros here, and from what I've seen, this is one of the more active Linux forums and you get responses fast.

LaRoza
December 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hell, I'm an OpenBSD user, and I find Linux in general to be poorly written, poorly implemented, and poorly thought out. Doesn't stop me from posting. I'm here for lack of a better forum to poke about in. I like the bean count thing. Forget who it belonged to, but as I was poking about for the first time (looking at software people found interesting, incidentally), I noticed somebody with an avatar of a "mad hatter", with a Debian feather in the hat and an Ubuntu logo in the centre of the hat. Thought that was really neat, and combined with the coffee theme, made me stick around, if only to read threads. (Rarely post, admittedly)

What does OpenBSD have to offer?

That was ThinkBuntu, the avatar you saw. He has since changed it, I think. (interestingly, he uses Mac OSX, not Ubuntu)

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Yes, that's how I feel also.

I use Archlinux now and still spend way more time in the Ubuntu Forums. I still answer people's questions if I know the correct answer... most of the time they aren't distro specific. I just spend less time in the help areas, and more time in the "Other OS Talk".

I also started on Linux here. Ubuntu Forums was my first Linux experience, and xubuntu was my first distro... so I feel like Ubuntu will always be a part of my Linux experience. I like to keep up on the development and how the people are liking it... what's buggy, and what's improved. And if you do a Google search for anything related to Linux/Linux packages, there is usually an Ubuntu Forum thread discussing it.

I also have so many posts on the Ubuntu Forums and my (4 coffee cups) that it would be weird to not be a part of the Forums here, it's became a huge chunk of my internet experience, and I've sort of become a part of the Forums (just like everybody else with over 1000 beans and another 1000 cafe posts), so why would I not post here just because I changed distros...

Mazza558
December 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Probably because it's one of the best linux and (arguably) technology community forums around. Community Cafe and Backyard is also a big draw if you want to discuss, well, nearly anything.

tadcan
December 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I am a windows user who gets by with it. (And presumes the linux grass is greener) I hate to idea of being forced to only use one OS forever. I have grown to like the philosophy and positive attitude that comes with Linux. This forum is the most dynamic that I have been to. In essence I keep in touch here to keep alive my intention of one day migrating and hopefully by reading various posts I'll be more familiar with it.

My Hardware doesn't like Ubuntu. So far I have a choice of Mandrivia, Knoppix or Fedora. My hard drive is almost full, so I've ordered a new one. (Will then experiment with partitions and stuff) Cos with me there is a) always problems with computers b) It takes me awhile to get around to do things.

aysiu
December 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM
If I switched to another distro or started using Windows or Mac full-time, I would probably still visit the Ubuntu Forums. The forums are friendly and lively--a pleasant place to visit, regardless of what operating system you use.

christhemonkey
December 12th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Agree very much with aysiu.

Even though i dont visit these forums as much as i used to, they are a sociable place to just hang about, help people with their problems and generally enjoy yourself, regardless of operating system.

Bruce M.
December 12th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I'm here because I use Ubuntu.

To be honest, this is the first I have noticed that other distros and OS's are here. What an eye opener.

When I saw things like Arch User, Windows User, I just though it was a duel boot thing.

How about that, learn something new every day!

jrusso2
December 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I have a lot of computers. Ubuntu is almost always on at least one of them.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM
To seek the holy grail!

ZapalacX
December 12th, 2007, 02:21 AM
To seek the holy grail!

yuo just won 5 intarwebz!!!:lolflag:

Erdaron
December 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I'm mostly a Windows user, and I've found that this Windows forum is more active and helpful than other forums that are actually dedicated to Windows.

I've come to this community because I've installed Ubuntu on one of my computers, and am slowly learning how to play with it. Unfortunately, I've not the time presently, so I'm mostly hanging around the Cafe and Windows user forums.

And I also second another poster above - I've come to admire the positive attitude of man Linux users. This is a good place in general.

zcal
December 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
It seems to me that a lot of Linux users like to distro hop. Everybody's tried Ubuntu at one time or another, and these forums draw quite the crowd. They're a huge resource for the distro and others as well. I can especially see the relevance for those on other Debian-based distros, or just pure Debian.

Yep, I've jumped Ubuntu's ship.

Eddie Wilson
December 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM

I use PC-BSD also. Its fun.
Eddie

SomeGuyDude
December 12th, 2007, 04:21 AM
It's fun to just shoot the shiite and talk nerdy once in a while. Not many forums where you can just yammer on about software and the like. Plus, since I do run Ubuntu, if I hit a problem I can get help on it.

It's the big reason I'm sticking with Ubuntu. The community is so damn strong.

Eddie Wilson
December 12th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Like a lot of people here I do testing on other distros. Ubuntu is my main distro and also I use Mepis and PC-BSD. I have a separate test partition that I use to try out a lot of different OS's. I do think that the people are one of the biggest reasons a person hangs around.
Thanks,
Eddie

LookTJ
December 12th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Well, the forums are family-friendly and active.

Warren Watts
December 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Like many others have said, I hang out here to seek solutions to issues I am having, read the new posts, and provide answers and suggestions when I can.

When I first started with Ubuntu six months ago, it seems like I was asking questions here several times a week. Now more often than not, I am posting replies.

Three of the four computers I am running use Ubuntu exclusively (including my web and file server), but the computer I spend most of my time on has ArchLinux installed. Arch's forum is tiny in comparison to this forum, and unless the issue I am having is Arch specific, I usually look here first, simply because of the sheer number of posts.

The people here are friendly and helpful, the forum administrators are honest and fair, and there is a real spirit of COMMUNITY here that I haven't found anywhere else.

Incense
December 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
If I switched to another distro or started using Windows or Mac full-time, I would probably still visit the Ubuntu Forums. The forums are friendly and lively--a pleasant place to visit, regardless of what operating system you use.

That really sums it up. Plus it's a great place to talk about linux in general, not just ubuntu. These forums really represent the best of what the linux community has to offer

K.Mandla
December 12th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Some of us use more than one at the same time, for a variety of reasons.

Like, if I put the screens next to each other and cross my eyes, I see a 3D unicorn!

Dimitriid
December 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Simple: size DOES matter :popcorn:

Eddie Wilson
December 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Also this is one place you can get help for just about any distro. Lets make that ANY distro.:)
Eddie

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:lolflag: I'm here because I use Ubuntu.

ShodanjoDM
March 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Because I find my enlightenment here (also gnome, kde, xfce etc...)

Hehe, well the truth is, hanging out in here is seriously fun. Go figure... :lolflag: