PDA

View Full Version : Is Linux/Ubuntu getting faster with each release?

phrostbyte
December 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
What do you guys think?

tgalati4
December 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
It's getting both faster and slower with each release. But capability is increasing with each release.

Shutdown times for me are around 7 seconds versus 30 seconds or more in Dapper. Boot up is quicker as well. Neither helps when you have an uptime in triple digits. Running Gnome Gutsy on older hardware feels slower, but running XFCE (Mint/Gutsy version) seems to run OK on older hardware (PIII, 500 MHz with 256 MB or more RAM).

I think Hardy will see more performance tweaks as some of debug code is removed and overall performance issues are directly addressed. First get it to work, then get it to work well.

SLED 10 is definitely slower than XFCE Mint 4 on this old hardware (PIII).

I think you will have to try a few distros on your specific hardware to make determination. Of course you can compile Gentoo and gain an extra 2%.

meborc
December 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
to me, everything is getting slower :( it used to be conf files and bugs and hard to get to work... now it works out of the box, but because of that and because it has to work out of the box for every computer, the system is hogged down with processes and daemons and what you call them :)

so it is a compromise... (not talking about dapper -> gutsy, more like warty -> dapper)

it used to be simple complications, now it is complicated simplifications

hutxubix
December 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I do not have a large experience but I wouldn't say it is going slower.

But I can say is that Debian etch in my Acer TravelMate 4000 (from 2005) and is much much much more faster than XP (And the laptop has that stick of 'Design for Windows XP').