PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu may support Linux "in the not-too distant future"

50words
December 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
My letter to Fujitsu, and their response:

I own and love using a ScanSnap S500. However, while the scanner and the ScanSnap Manager work like a charm in Windows, I am migrating to Linux. With that move, I may have to migrate to a different scanner vendor. I would prefer to stay with Fujitsu, but as far as I can tell, Fujitsu does not support Linux.

This needs to change! Linux is becoming more common both at home and in business. Dell offers PCs with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed. Wal-Mart is selling out of the Linux-powered gPC as fast as it can produce them, and the Linux-powered Asus EEE PC is the hot item on every geek's wish list this holiday season.

Please support Linux.

Response from Kevin Neal, Fujitsu Product Manager - Production Scanners

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the feedback and your input. We value our customers suggestions more than anything.

I concur that Linux should be a supported operating system for our scanners and our engineering team has taken this into consideration. Although official support will not happen immediately, please know that this may change in the not too distant future.

Thanks,
Kevin

This is a hopeful response that shows Fujitsu is at least working on Linux support, and now I can hope that I will be able to use my ScanSnap as smoothly in Linux as I can now in Windows (it is really the ScanSnap Manager tool that makes it work so well).

As others on this forum have said, write to hardware manufacturers and ask them to support Linux! This is how Dell and ATI were brought on board. Let's get everyone interested in Linux!

bailout
December 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I agree that writing to them is good. I often see people recomend buying items according to their linux support but this isn't much good unless the company knows why it got or lost a sale. Writing and saying either'I bought your product because it works with inux' or ' I would have bought your product but didn't becaause it lacks linux support' is likely to be more effective.

bash
December 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Very nice to hear. And especially nice to see that you got an reply from someone higher up in the "foodchain" and not a default auto-responder pr statement.

rax_m
December 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
That sounds like a good response..

I tried that with Toshiba for my laptop.. and just got a "linux is not supported" reply..
My next computer will not be a Toshiba for sure!

matthewcraig
December 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
These are the types of emails that make a difference!! Good for you for putting it together. You have let them know that (a) you are a cash paying customer of their services, and (b) you have already made the decision to move to Ubuntu Linux. Many people will write a letter advocating Linux to a company when they are neither a customer, nor ready to make the move. An email saying, "I would switch to Ubuntu, except you do not support it", is just more reason the company should not support Ubuntu.

Your next step, and I hope you will take it, is writting a follow-up email to the same person. When you find an alternative scanner that does support Ubuntu Linux (there are many, inexpensive solutions), then write again saying, "I wanted to stay with Fujitsu, but I was not able to do so after making the switch to Ubuntu. I have purchased a scanner from XYZ corporation - model ABC. I hope you will decide to support Ubuntu in the future, because I enjoyed your services." This tells them that they have LOST A CUSTOMER. This is a huge red-flag for customer support, and it gives them material to make a change.

Too many Linux advocates think they can pester a company into making changes without being part of the business. Very rarely this works (see Dell's Idea Storm), because most who suggest are not going to be customers (Dell announced 40,000 sales of Ubuntu PCs, yet there were 1,500,000 Idea Storm votes for them). What companies need to see is actual customers leaving their products and services for competitors because they do not provide the Ubuntu+Linux support which is required to keep them. So vote with your wallet, then let the customer service department know why you left.

This works for scanners, computers, software, websites, and any other place you want to see Ubuntu+Linux support or anywhere you are not happy with the services provided to you.

Sporkman
December 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Great - good job! :guitar: