PDA

View Full Version : Live CDs with other desktop environments

Ozor Mox
December 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I often keep my copy of Ubuntu on me so that as well as having it installed on all my computers, I can install and demo it for other people, and I can boot into Ubuntu on any computer and use it temporarily.

I want to burn some other Live CDs that use different DEs. For one, I'd like to try them out as I haven't used anything other than Gnome extensively yet. My automatic reaction is to burn Kubuntu for KDE, Xubuntu for XFCE and perhaps Fluxbuntu (if there's a release of it) and Geubuntu for FluxBox and Enlightenment respectively. I've heard on several occasions here that Kubuntu is not a very good KDE desktop, but I've never really seen any proper reasons given. If it is just that distributions like PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint offer codecs and proprietary stuff, then I'm generally not bothered because I want to use distributions that are as free as possible out of the box, I can always add that stuff later, even in the Live CD. Would then Debian Live using KDE be more or less advanced than Kubuntu? What about something like Knoppix? Other Ubuntu DEs seem to be praised, both official and unofficial.

It would be nice if the distribution was quite light so I can run it on computers with low RAM, though not essential as I have run Ubuntu on a 256 MB machine and you don't tend to get much lower than that these days.

The only other live OSs I've burnt to disc so far have been FreeSBIE which simply didn't boot, and Damn Small Linux, which was really cool for a 50 MB OS and super fast, but very minimal (as I'd expect!) with fairly out of date software add-ons. I'm looking for something a bit more usable with my actual installed Ubuntu.

LaRoza
December 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
For KDE, Sidux is a very good distro. It is Debian, Sid branch, and will be very easy for a Ubuntu user to use.

For Xfce, you can use Dream Linux, which is a little more showy than Xubuntu. http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/index.html

Ozor Mox
December 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for those recommendations LaRoza, I tried sidux and it's great! Is there anything significant that it offers that Kubuntu doesn't? It looks pretty good out of the box, but then so do Kubuntu screenshots in my opinion. Quite plain, but I like the desktop to be clean by default. Dreamlinux looks a lot like OS X, I may give that a shot at some point.