PDA

View Full Version : This week has been a good week for Linux...

gflores
September 9th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Mandriva 2006 RC1, Suse 10.0 RC1, and Ubuntu 5.10 Preview were released, the top three distros in distrowatch.com. I'm going to be installing one of them. I'm going to be installing at least one of them in the coming months, but I'm not sure which one! They're very solid distros. I think I'm going to try out Suse first and then Ubuntu when it comes out in October. I love this! :) Don't you agree?

heimo
September 9th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Sure! :) For me, this weeks best release news was Gnome 2.12 - which is now in Breezy. Excellent to see all this development work done. Oh, and Linux 2.6.13 was also just released (11 days ago), I already compiled that one but haven't restarted.

So much going on. I see more and more green light on this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyGoals

earobinson
September 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM
ya for linux

bored2k
September 9th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Gnome 2.12 = Awsome.
Ubuntu Breezy + Its Repos = Awsome.
SuSE = Terrific.
Mandrake = ___

benplaut
September 9th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Gnome 2.12 = Awsome.
SuSE = Terrific.
Mandrake = ___

no, no, no... MadrFoo :roll:

Qrk
September 9th, 2005, 06:36 AM
I am excited about SUSE and Gnome. If OpenSUSE goes well when it gets to the final stage, it might be the next Ubuntu O:) Not that Ubuntu's going anywhere, but with an Open Source YAST and the traditional SUSE charm, it looks to be a great distro, just depending on its exact relationship with Novell. Do they expect to make money on the thing?

On the Gnome side I think 2.12 is where 2.6 really gets mature. Spacial browsing was hated when Gnome first implemented it, but I think most people (including me) like it now. (or at least they have changed the default behavior) But the new tree view in spacial nautilus is really slick. Its a great solution, and doesn't use up desktop space. Its what Gnome has always strived to be, clean and elegent.

drizek
September 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM
i just need to download cd5 of suse, and it will be on my system tomorrow. im posting from a couple-hour old install of breezy. i love this.

the only OS i installed this week which was a pain in the ass was windows xp. i was amazed when ubuntu worked 100%(other than the apt-get install nvidia-glx, restart X part) on the first boot. i just cant understand how a copy of windows xp servicepack 2 from september 2004 doesnt even have nforce 2 drivers included. i cant believe that the OS used by 95% of the world cant even get my friggen integrated ethernet working. The hardware detection in windows is simply unacceptable when you consider the amount of money behind it.

tseliot
September 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM
The hardware detection in windows is simply unacceptable when you consider the amount of money behind it.
I completely agree with you, it was a pain for me to install my Bluetooth dongle or my Epson scanner. In Knoppix and PCLinuxOS (I haven't tried in Ubuntu yet) the bluetooth worked out of the box (as it should now in Breezy).

its_jon
September 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
eagle usb modem working out the box now as well ?...... what release should I install or wait for?

gflores
September 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Gnome 2.12 = Awsome.
SuSE = Terrific.
Mandrake = ___

Yeah, I forgot about Gnome. I also forgot about Firefox 1.5 Beta. Good stuff all-around. :)