PDA

View Full Version : (preliminary)SUCCESS: Fluxbox in Gnome

Brunellus
September 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Earlier, I asked whether it would be possible to run Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org) as Gnome's default windowmanager instead of metacity.

I am pleased to report that this is possible. Consider this a draft howto, as I am busy trying to tweak things.

I am indebted to poofyhairguy's "enlightened gnome" howto, as well as Stormy Eyes' excellent advice on running Openbox within Gnome

STEP ONE: Installing Fluxbox

This is the easy part. Fluxbox is in universe; enable universe, fire up your terminal, and
$ sudo apt-get install fluxbox that sucker.

You can restart the Xsession here, if you like. When GDM comes up, you'll see Fluxbox added to your "Sessions" menu.

However, I would NOT restart the Xsession at this point. Fire up your terminal and
$ sudo /usr/share/xsessions/fluxbox.desktop

where you see
exec=fluxbox replace that line with
exec=startfluxbox

If you do this, Fluxbox will, on its first execution, generate a configuration file:

~/.fluxbox/startup

For a more complete discussion of what the startup file does in Fluxbox, please see This page in the Gentoo Wiki (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fluxbox#Startup_Applications)

STEP TWO: Cramming Fluxbox into Gnome

This next section is essentially ripped off of poofyhairguy's excellent, and recently slashdotted, Enlightened Gnome Howto.

First, execute the following in a regular terminal:
$ sudo cp /usr/share/gnome/default.session ~/.gnome2/session

Then, edit that session file:
sudo gedit ~/.gnome2/session

Find this line:
1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --sm-client-id default1 and change it to this:
1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --default-wm fluxbox --sm-client-id default1

Save the file, restart your Xsession (CTRL+ALT+BKSPACE), and log back into gnome.

This will take a while. You will see fluxbox first, then the gnome-panel, and finally the desktop will appear and draw over all the fluxbox desktop.

Fluxbox in Gnome: First impressions

Fluxbox is a very lightweight windowmanager. Not for nothing is it the wm of choice of DamnSmallLinux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org) From what I can tell, it takes up VERY little RAM.

It also draws and redraws faster than metacity, at least on my equipment--AMD k7, 512 MB RAM, nvidia geforce 5200 128mb VRAM-- and much neater as well.

Here's a neat trick that Fluxbox does: open two windows. Now middle-click drag one onto another. The two windows are now docked together: clicking on the titlebar will switch between windows. In this way, you can tab through any number of windows. This is particularly nice if you run stuff from terminals--that way, you can have the app in one window, then click the window itself and get the debug output.

Things I've got to figure out:

The nautilus desktop draws over fluxbox. Thus, no flux taskbar and no slit (the flux name for the dock).

Also, I can't get flux's right-click menu. Middle-click works.

Comments are ALWAYS welcome. A huge shout and thanks to the whole Ubuntu community--y'all rock, hard.

And of course, a screenshot (http://static.flickr.com/27/41568346_aa996d0e15_o.png) of my desktop. The wm is fluxbox, and an assload of gdesklets running.

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM
What are the differences between this and using Openbox? Not a flippant question btw; just genuinely curious as Openbox is much easier to integrate and would seem to accomplish the same. Is there any advantage to Flux?

az
September 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Is fluxbox fixed in breezy? If not, report this to the MOTU (Masters of the Universe) so that they fix the package before relase.

Brunellus
September 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM
What are the differences between this and using Openbox? Not a flippant question btw; just genuinely curious as Openbox is much easier to integrate and would seem to accomplish the same. Is there any advantage to Flux?
My main reason for wanting Fluxbox over Openbox is Fluxbox's neat window-tabbing trick. It also seems lighter, memorywise, than Openbox, but I have not tested this rigorously.

Also, I have more experience with Fluxbox, having used it under DSL and on my old ubuntu box (a coppermine celeron and 256mb RAM--you run out of RAM fast if you're doing photo-editing work with that setup!)

I compared the two last night. Openbox plays more nicely with gnome, but Fluxbox is better by itself. It's a very sleek, somewhat stark environment...but it can be made to look pretty stylish.

Azz, I'm still running hoary. If someone running Breezy would please apt-get fluxbox and then post the contents of /usr/share/xsessions/fluxbox.desktop I would be interested. It's a simple fix...

Come to think of it, I think I'm going to write a more general Fluxbox howto.

bigzak
September 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM
My main reason for wanting Fluxbox over Openbox is Fluxbox's neat window-tabbing trick. It also seems lighter, memorywise, than Openbox, but I have not tested this rigorously.

I have generally found fluxbox lighter, quicker and much, much more stable than openbox. Also, the menu format is completely horrible, and takes a whole bunch of typing where fluxbox would need perhaps 4 words...

A quick correction to the article (excellent as it is); the slit is not the fluxbox word for the dock. Fluxbox has a dock that is normally hidden until you dock something to it. The slit contains the desktop switcher, systray, taskbar and clock.

Knome_fan
September 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hm, I'm currently usin xfwm4 with gnome and getting it to run was very easy, so I don't see why getting fluxbox to run should be any harder:
1. Open a terminal
2. gnome-session-remove metacity -> metacity is gone for good
3. Start your wm (in my case: nohup xfwm4 &)
4. gnome-session-save
5. Profit! :-D