PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Hardy Heron Theme

isaacj87
December 11th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Hey guys,

I was bored and looking around on Digg and found this. It appears to be a small preview of the theme for the upcoming LTS. What do you guys think? I'm not very particular to it...

I apologize if this information is already present on the forums...:)

Ubuntu Hardy Heron theme work begins... (http://www.breakitdownblog.com/ubuntu-hardy-heron-theme-work-begins/)

w7kmc
December 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I think it is moving in the right direction...so far looks kind of sweeeeet!

I never was a real fan of the brown ubuntu desktop...but the funny thing is...the same shades of brown and ubuntu style wallpapers are now on my WinXP desktops, and I get positive remarks from some co-workers...

Polygon
December 11th, 2007, 02:38 AM
oh m y gosh, that theme looks NICE!

me and everyone else says the human theme now looks more orange-ish rather then brown, now with this theme, there is no doubt anymore ;)

cant wait to use it!

and does this mean that libnofity can be skinned now? usually thats the only thing that sticks out in a theme becuase you can only change like only half of the pop up bubble

and the feather wallpaper looks schweet

isaacj87
December 11th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I just really wish they would move off from the brown, tan, orange colors...I remember there being a black and orange mock-up a few backs and I liked it...

Polygon
December 11th, 2007, 02:40 AM
its ubuntu's colors

windows xp colors were green, blue, etc

mac os x is more silvery / blue

ubuntu is brown/tan/orange

it helps define the look of ubuntu, makes it so when you see a screenshot of that theme, you instantly know 'thats ubuntu, not some other gnome based distro'

new2*buntu
December 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM
That looks sweeeet!

isaacj87
December 11th, 2007, 02:44 AM
its ubuntu's colors

windows xp colors were green, blue, etc

mac os x is more silvery / blue

ubuntu is brown/tan/orange

it helps define the look of ubuntu, makes it so when you see a screenshot of that theme, you instantly know 'thats ubuntu, not some other gnome based distro'

I agree. They are Ubuntu's colors :)

In fact I've always been a huge fan of this mock-up, but I don't really think the dock is necessary. I just like smooth, rounded, slightly glossy buttons and panels.

Old Mock-up (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=437694&highlight=mock-up)

bash
December 11th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Dunno not a big fan of it. I like the rounded corner of the menus and the semi transparent panels. But the overall look just doesn't fit. For example that mockup of the poster above, now thats what I would consider a nice, slick design. But really like that they are trying to use only svg's now.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Hey guys,

I was bored and looking around on Digg and found this. It appears to be a small preview of the theme for the upcoming LTS. What do you guys think? I'm not very particular to it...

Ubuntu Hardy Heron theme work begins... (http://www.breakitdownblog.com/ubuntu-hardy-heron-theme-work-begins/)

Man, all of that is so ugly...

I usually like the ubuntu theme colors. But that looks bad.

My suggestion (not that anybody cares) is to keep the Human color for the folders... make the panels a black glossy image. Make the metacity a black glossy color with orange and red buttons (specific to ubuntu logo colors).

Then make the gtk theme almost white, like the color of real milk. And for the wallpaper, stay a rich beautiful brown.

So, basically lose the gray, the peach color, and the off-white tan.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 11th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I love the chocolate glossy look from the palette. It's gorgeous, although it makes me want to eat my computer, and that would be bad :(

If it actually comes to something like that, I'll be more than happy to ditch my theme for that default one. Very professional.

Nano Geek
December 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM
It's to busy and shiny for my taste, but it's a great start.

fedex1993
December 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM
umm i like how its desgned i just wish they could choose a diffrent color for once so it supports diffrent colors instead of the default burn orange just giv elike the users the aption to choose the colors
instead of restricting them

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM
It's to busy and shiny for my taste, but it's a great start.

I'm one of those people I like shiny (not just desktops, but shiny everything). As for the busy, one thing to keep in mind is that the desktop shown is very small resolution, with everything right next to each other. In actual production, most of it would be more spread apart and not all in one small tight spot.

GSF1200S
December 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM

My suggestion (not that anybody cares) is to keep the Human color for the folders... make the panels a black glossy image. Make the metacity a black glossy color with orange and red buttons (specific to ubuntu logo colors).

Then make the gtk theme almost white, like the color of real milk. And for the wallpaper, stay a rich beautiful brown.

So, basically lose the gray, the peach color, and the off-white tan.

I like the theme allright, but I have to admit that your idea sounds pretty good... I miss the theming options in Gnome: KDE is awesome everywhere else, but it clearly cant be modified in the theme extent to Gnomes level...

Nano Geek
December 11th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I'm one of those people I like shiny (not just desktops, but shiny everything). As for the busy, one thing to keep in mind is that the desktop shown is very small resolution, with everything right next to each other. In actual production, most of it would be more spread apart and not all in one small tight spot.I hope so. Anyway though, it's a great start and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 03:48 AM
In fact, I would embrace the whole coffee thing.

I would make the wallpaper more like the color of black coffee, and maybe add some swirls of cream into it...

... then for the gtk-2.0, I would do it like the color of a glossy white porcelain coffee cup with accents of brown, black, and orange... (black forward/back buttons with orange and white trim, and then the old orange human folders)

Then for my panel and metacity, I would make them both match. Either a glossy black image, or a transparent image... all with ubuntu logo color buttons.

I just think that Brown and White go well together. Then I would add accents of Black , and Orange for the panels, metacity, icons, and folders.

Lostincyberspace
December 11th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Starbucks really needs to come out with an Ubuntu drink.

jamathis
December 11th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I like the new look of the menus. Not sure on the color scheme. I like the look of the Ubuntu Studio Theme better.

http://dbaldinger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/ubuntustudio-desktop-sm1.png

PmDematagoda
December 11th, 2007, 04:25 AM
It is just awesome and a great boost-up from the Human theme, I just can't wait until they introduce this theme:lolflag:(I only need to get GNOME fixed then I'm good to go).

isaacj87
December 11th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Actually in all honesty, I don't like it at all...haha I was just trying to beat around the bush. I even like the human theme better...While I'm all for making a new theme (seeing how there has been minimal changes since the first release) I just can't see how this is a step in the right direction. Thankfully ubuntu is fully customizable!

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Actually in all honesty, I don't like it at all...haha I was just trying to beat around the bush. I even like the human theme better...While I'm all for making a new theme (seeing how there has been minimal changes since the first release) I just can't see how this is a step in the right direction. Thankfully ubuntu is fully customizable!

haha... instigator.

Maybe the Baige color if it were a little lighter... but that brown and orange are terrible. There are much better shades of orange and brown. Those just look bad.

isaacj87
December 11th, 2007, 05:29 AM
haha... instigator.

Maybe the Baige color if it were a little lighter... but that brown and orange are terrible. There are much better shades of orange and brown. Those just look bad.

LoL, you caught me...I don't mean to start any war...We're all entitled to our own valued opinions. :D

igknighted
December 11th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I gotta admit, I like it. It's the first Ubuntu theme that (in my opinion) has promise. Now, I like the chocolate and beige... but I don't care for the orange too much. Hopefully that will get toned down in the final release?

Oh, btw... is this theme available for download anywhere, or would it be installed if I upgraded to Hardy?

EDIT: Actually, upon further review the orange is ok... the more I look at it the more I really like it. I always thought that brown only looked good in two ways... modern (like the hardy SS posted), or retro (like the sidux 2007-3 wallpaper).

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 05:54 AM
LoL, you caught me...I don't mean to start any war...We're all entitled to our own valued opinions. :D

Yes, people should always be entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that the theme showed in that picture is the wrong way to go... It doesn't look new and clean like most OS themes today.

It really shouldn't matter because themes are easy to customize... but the digg.com comments are going to be ridiculous for that theme.

Crashmaxx
December 11th, 2007, 06:00 AM

THIS.

The OP's one is just too much. And the "beige" still looks way too pink for me. I liked it when there was more orange and brown, less of the "beige". Once the default had the "beige" background, I was done with using the defaults.

Albi
December 11th, 2007, 06:16 AM
My personal favourite is the top one from this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mockup_alt_papers.jpg

bobbybobington
December 11th, 2007, 06:19 AM
It looks fine and dandy to me except the mouse theme, an ORANGE CURSOR? maybe brown cursor but that would be pushing it imo

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 11th, 2007, 06:33 AM
In fact, I would embrace the whole coffee thing.

I would make the wallpaper more like the color of black coffee, and maybe add some swirls of cream into it...

... then for the gtk-2.0, I would do it like the color of a glossy white porcelain coffee cup with accents of brown, black, and orange... (black forward/back buttons with orange and white trim, and then the old orange human folders)

Then for my panel and metacity, I would make them both match. Either a glossy black image, or a transparent image... all with ubuntu logo color buttons.

I just think that Brown and White go well together. Then I would add accents of Black , and Orange for the panels, metacity, icons, and folders.

That sounds pretty attractive. Any chance for a Mockup?

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM
That sounds pretty attractive. Any chance for a Mockup?

I might just make the theme and give it to anybody that likes it. I have figured out how to modify the clearlooks Glossy gtk-2.0, and I can make the "xfce4-engines" gtk-2.0 pretty good also.

This is my gallery: http://crimesaucer.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured

page 2 has one I made called mocha which sort of looks like the one that we are discussing right now... but I'm more into my later page 1 themes.

This is the one I made and am using right now (I even modded the xfwm4 window theme, icons are my mod of UbuntuStudio also):

Large View: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-6.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-6-1.png

Large View: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-7-5.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-7-6.png

Large View: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-10.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-10-2.png

Methuselah
December 11th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I love the brown theme in the OP's post.
Now, I'm usually more fond of blue and green person myself.
(That's why, despite my indifference towards vista, I really do like the defauly look)

However, this brown theme feels so inviting and homely.
It brings to mind working on a wooden desktop by candlelight or something. Bring it on!

nikoPSK
December 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
nice but, I like the white panels. Also

Personally looks a bit too “Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory” for my tastes.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I love the brown theme in the OP's post.
Now, I'm usually more fond of blue and green person myself.
(That's why, despite my indifference towards vista, I really do like the defauly look)

However, this brown theme feels so inviting and homely.
It brings to mind working on a wooden desktop by candlelight or something. Bring it on!

I like the name... that is my other web name on the Archlinux forums. I wanted to change my Ubuntu Forums name but I didn't want to lose my 1057 bean count and my coffee cups. (it was all about not losing the coffee cups... it took for ever to get them)

CarpKing
December 11th, 2007, 06:59 AM
This all looks pretty nice, but I still hope that the default GTK theme has color chooser support.

Methuselah
December 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, for long life!
Methuselah is also the name I gave to an old PII machine I have.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, for long life!
Methuselah is also the name I gave to an old PII machine I have.

I like it because I feel like an old man in this world...

hanzomon4
December 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
What is everyone on?!?!

This is hideous....

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM
What is everyone on?!?!

This is hideous....

Don't include me in there... I said it looked bad. I like ubuntu's colors... but not like that.

Lostincyberspace
December 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It is a good start.

undine
December 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I love it! The move towards increasingly orange themes never sat well with me -- I preferred the distinctive coffee/chocolate palette.

Perhaps Canonical can employ Tay Zonday to release a remix of Chocolate Rain to promote it, a-la Dr. Pepper ;)

JurB
December 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I think i'm going to be sick..... :shock:

pt123
December 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Agree.

Who are they trying to attract ? little kids? looks like chocolate and is so childish.

I hated the default KDE look as it looked like it was Kindergarten.

If they want brown they should use these two stylish themes
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Creamy+Classic?content=69907

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Creamy?content=69315

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM
The new theme has become too brown. It looks like chocolate to me. They really neew to improve it.

blithen
December 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Personally I love it. I love how the changed the colour of the panels, makes everything more official Ubuntu looking.

chips24
December 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
wow, gettin it the fist day its out!!!

subs

In fact I've always been a huge fan of this mock-up, but I don't really think the dock is necessary. I just like smooth, rounded, slightly glossy buttons and panels.

this one looks a lot cleaner than the hardy heron one which is under development..... maybe by the time it is finished and hardy is released.... it'll look a lot better:guitar::guitar:

Sockerdrickan
It looks better than the old one!

pt123
December 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
This one is so much better

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2620273&postcount=1

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Ok add the Ubuntu colors to the theme, but they have overdone it. It looks horrible to me. Any idea what they r doing for Kubuntu?

Solicitous
December 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Ok, never been a huge fan of the brown. I personally think the colour scheme needs to be changed to look more professional. That said, I do like the Theme Guideline, great ideas!

kodak
December 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
wow lots of opinions

:)
ubuntu know that most people who install it will probably change the colours and theme, after all that's what is so easy in linux.

What we are not seeing in hardy is what's being done under the bonnet which is much more important than the lipstick

for me the new theme is a good start

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
wow lots of opinions

ubuntu know that most people who install it will probably change the colours and theme, after all that's what is so easy in linux.

What we are not seeing in hardy is what's being done under the bonnet which is much more important than the lipstick

for me the new theme is a good start
You r right that most people will change the appearance but what makes a new user want to try Linux is by its default look not what u can modify it into. 8.04 will be a LTS release so they should make it look good and be stable as well. That theme looks like a chocolate factory to me.

Darkhack
December 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is taking the brown/orange/tan theme a bit too far. I'd rather keep the current theme which has a good balance of Ubuntu colors while still looking neat and professional. The proposed mockup looks terrible. Way too dark and too much brown. I realize most everyone will change from the default, but this isn't a good way to present Ubuntu to first timers. First impressions really do matter, especially with Ubuntu breaking into the mainstream at Dell, and these mockups are enough to turn anyone away and/or not take it as a serious operating system.

igknighted
December 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The new theme has become too brown. It looks like chocolate to me. They really need to improve it.

I really like the chocalate look... the old look was just drab and boring, I've been waiting for them to get bold and go with the chocolate for some time.

Since there is clearly no way to please everyone, what if there was a couple themes installed, and you could select from a couple pre-installed themes (chocolate, cream, etc.)? Of course people can go get their own, but any good distro should include a few themes. Mint, Fedora, Suse, etc. all come with a few themes and wallpapers to choose from, it would be nice if Ubuntu would do the same. I think a couple variations on the same theme would be perfect.

CarpKing
December 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Since there is clearly no way to please everyone, what if there was a couple themes installed, and you could select from a couple pre-installed themes (chocolate, cream, etc.)? Of course people can go get their own, but any good distro should include a few themes. Mint, Fedora, Suse, etc. all come with a few themes and wallpapers to choose from, it would be nice if Ubuntu would do the same. I think a couple variations on the same theme would be perfect.

Well, Ubuntu already does come with multiple themes. But I agree, it would be nice if they could replace some of the more outdated ones with alternative versions of the default.

On a different note, does anyone else think it's odd that there's no mention of these guidelines on the ubuntu-art mailing list yet?

igknighted
December 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well, Ubuntu already does come with multiple themes. But I agree, it would be nice if they could replace some of the more outdated ones with alternative versions of the default.

On a different note, does anyone else think it's odd that there's no mention of these guidelines on the ubuntu-art mailing list yet?

Yeah, i suppose there are multiple themes... I guess I meant variations of "human". One creamier, one more chocolatey, etc.

sloggerkhan
December 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
If you look at the artwork wiki, you'd see that official theme requirements aren't up.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy?highlight=%28art%29

As you can see, everything seems to be just user ideas that are jumping the gun a bit.

Prisma
December 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Hey guys,

Can you guys also make a default (official) dark theme (just changing the colours of the human theme) so people can have the same default desktop but in black-grey? I think it would be a nice idea. By the way it looks awesome.

SunnyRabbiera
December 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I personally would like a orange theme, sure I like the concept but really brown....
ugh

bobbocanfly
December 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
They got rid of the generic gray panel colour! Thank god for that. Was my only hate of the Ubuntu default theme. The window borders looked nice (Emulating them in emerald at the moment, looks very nice) but i could never stand the shockingly ugly grey panels.

SunnyRabbiera
December 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
well it is rather easy to edit the panels though

sloggerkhan
December 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Once again, that is NOT on official theme.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
.... but i could never stand the shockingly ugly grey panels.

Here Here! I agree :)

There is always going to be disagreements about colors, because everyone has a different favorite color, but I like Ubuntu's darker brown, it really gives it it's own identity.

The more orange-y themes of the last few releases scared me :lolflag:I think Dapper was the only one I kept at default theme.

One thing to remember, is that a *very* large percentage of users of Hardy Heron will already be familiar with Linux, and *will* change the theme, no doubt. There will be new users, and I guess when it comes down to impressing them, Hardy Heron can give them a "homely and welcoming" feeling or a "modern, clean" feeling. I like homely, while others are going to like modern.

Maybe a theme for each? :popcorn:

Steveway
December 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
That's the best brown theme I have seen so far.
I like it.
For everyone that wants Ubuntu to drop the brown: This is Ubuntu, Ubuntu is brown, deal with it or go away. It's not like they force you to use it, you can easily change it to whatever you want.

Prisma
December 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/ubuntu_desktop_mockup.jpg

I wish all icons on Hardy Heron will look as good as the bulb inside that notification bubble instead of those ugly default human icons on the panels. :-k

fuscia
December 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
those eagle feathers looks horrible like that, especially with the logo on top of them. it reeks of rte.1 in saugus, ma.

igknighted
December 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
those eagle feathers looks horrible like that, especially with the logo on top of them. it reeks of rte.1 in saugus, ma.

Haha

I sort of ignored the background. In fact, I think a cream colored background would look much nicer to contrast the chocolate panels. But, Hardy's a long way off, lets see what develops.

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
A plastic milk white theme would look great.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Not to brag or anything, but I feel that this theme that I made has a far more professional brown color scheme to it:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-4b.png

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-10-15.png

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-2-14.png

... add a nice dark brown Ubuntu wallpaper, change the panels and the window theme to another color, add some more color to the icons/folders... I'm basically saying that the shade of brown they have chosen is not as beautiful as it should be. And too much brown makes it look like a melting chocolate bar.

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Not to brag or anything, but I feel that this theme that I made has a far more professional brown color scheme to it:

... add a nice dark brown Ubuntu wallpaper, change the panels and the window theme to another color, add some more color to the icons/folders... I'm basically saying that the shade of brown they have chosen is not as beautiful as it should be. And too much brown makes it look like a melting chocolate bar.
Your theme looks pretty good, I just didn't like those stars, and choose a different panel background and make it slightly light orange. That would look good then.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Your theme looks pretty good, I just didn't like those stars, and choose a different panel background and make it slightly light orange. That would look good then.

Thanks. Yeah, that was my own Emerald star theme. I would actually change the stars to buttons for other people, and make the panel match the window theme instead of being those crazy stripes.

The panel image was just something I was using then instead of the glossy image or transparent images.... it was just different than most panel images.

This is a different way to go with more of a white clearlooks gtk theme, and the accents of black and orange (could be made to use dark brown instead of black... in fact, my next theme will probably be a mix of the theme above, and the theme below):

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-11.png

(behind it is the theme I'm using right now, which is sort of blueish)

JurB
December 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Very nice!

epimer
December 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Quoted for emphasis!

Although I don't suppose it'll stop the speculation now that it's underway... :popcorn:

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Very nice!

Thanks, I think a default theme would need just a bit more variety of color to it, but I just wanted to show that we could stay brown without being chocolate coated.

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks. Yeah, that was my own Emerald star theme. I would actually change the stars to buttons for other people, and make the panel match the window theme instead of being those crazy stripes.

The panel image was just something I was using then instead of the glossy image or transparent images.... it was just different than most panel images.

This is a different way to go with more of a white clearlooks gtk theme, and the accents of black and orange (could be made to use dark brown instead of black... in fact, my next theme will probably be a mix of the theme above, and the theme below):

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-11.png

(behind it is the theme I'm using right now, which is sort of blueish)
Now this is a good theme. Hey can u check out my screen shot as well. I don't know how to upload it. Suggest some improvements please. Its kde though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=1770

bash
December 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Quoted again for emphesis. This is just ONE suggestions of MANY.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Now this is a good theme. Hey can u check out my screen shot as well. I don't know how to upload it. Suggest some improvements please. Its kde though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=1770

Your theme looked very good... my only suggestion is that I would make the window theme's buttons match the blue, green, and red folders. (and the background behind the buttons to match like the rest)

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Your theme looked very good... my only suggestion is that I would make the window theme's buttons match the blue, green, and red folders. (and the background behind the buttons to match like the rest)
Thanks!

Ultra Magnus
December 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I know allot of people say allot of things about the default brown colour of ubuntu and I used to somewhat agree. I have used various emerald themes for a while and recently I had to use vista allot but after I managed to nuke my computer and reinstalled ubuntu (windows is now relegated to a vm never to touch my hard drive ever again but thats another story) I was about to install emerald when I stopped and sat back and I've decided to stick with the default colours - after all the visual noise of emerald and vista, the ubuntu brown is really quite calming - I hope for hardy there isn't a too massive departure from it.

shafin
December 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Of all those Mockup's this one really stood out to me:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman

palette

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=palette.png

images

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=toohuman.png

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=button.pnghttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=button2.pnghttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=greybutton.png

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=loadingbar.png

wallpaper

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wallpaperthumbnail.png https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wallpaperthumbnail2.png

nikoPSK
December 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM
gotta love that but I am sad to say I don't think they will do the theme you pointed out or the one shown in the first post. I think they will stick to human theme and I like it that way. ;)

plun
December 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Ping Vlad !!! :)

http://www.vladstudio.com/home/

He won KDE4s wallpaper contest (or one of them)

lyceum
December 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Of all those Mockup's this one really stood out to me:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/TooHuman

This looks good. No more poo looking wallpapers please!Why does "human" have to look so bad?? I do like this one though, I can live w/ it.

crimesaucer
December 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
@shafin- I like the orange and silver.

@plun- that's a nice winter wallpaper.

xl_cheese
December 11th, 2007, 10:26 PM
yep, lots of idea's being tossed around for hardy.

Here's one of my submissions.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2537/screenshotpv8.jpg

on the wiki too.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/SmoothMergedGradients

PrimoTurbo
December 11th, 2007, 11:02 PM
The overall theme looks nice but are they kidding when they are actually using the brown color as the overall theme.

I mean this is just horrible, maybe silver and orange would of worked but brown is not a good design color for an interface.

plun
December 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM
@plun- that's a nice winter wallpaper.

Well, thats just the latest...:)

KDE4s winner

http://blog.ruphy.org/posts/25

Vlad has real class
http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpapers/

stinger30au
December 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
yep it looks ok.
a lot better then what i could do anyhow

bruce89
December 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I hope they don't fork Clearlooks and not bother maintaining it like the last LTS and Ubuntulooks. It's so bloody awful, I now use Clearlooks with different colours (possible with newer themes).

hanzomon4
December 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Agree.

Who are they trying to attract ? little kids? looks like chocolate and is so childish.

I hated the default KDE look as it looked like it was Kindergarten.

If they want brown they should use these two stylish themes
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Creamy+Classic?content=69907

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Creamy?content=69315

Like these two...

daynah
December 12th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I like TooHuman. I would rather it be more brown that the peachy orange, though.

aktiwers
December 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Man I don't like the looks.. Hope they change it. But thats just a mater of taste I guess.

pt123
December 12th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Enough of this "who cares what the default theme is, as most people will change it"

Default theme is very important when they do reviews they always use the default theme, if it going to be ugly as this mock up is it will do very little to attract new users.

Presentation is very important in attracting new users.

Lostincyberspace
December 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I think that it would be good if they made a few different themes to choose from on first startup.

Tristam Green
December 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
That, while shiny, is *wayyyyy* too much for me. Thank God for compiz-fusion and emerald though...

SomeGuyDude
December 12th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Like some have said, it won't look at all like the default within about 20 minutes of me having it.

That said, if I was going to hand that to a new user and tell them to use Ubuntu? No way. The vast majority would never go for it. It looks pretty bad, frankly. That orange/brown isn't calming in the way the Gutsy default is, it's almost overbearing. It looks like I'm in a room with the lights turned down.

Ubuntu needs to move more in the "muted" direction. I want something between the toy look of Kubuntu and the "made with mud and clay" look Ubuntu's now sporting. It's almost depressing.

Methuselah
December 12th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I like the brown colors.
Silvery themes can look good and sleek, but they can have an impersonal, sterile feeling about them. The Ubuntu brown is a breath of fresh air, not taking itself too seriously but looking tasteful and inviting.

I have no interest in a default ubuntu look that tries to be Mac/Apple, although I think the Mac interface is nice. It needs to stick to its own personality.

Let's have various shades of brown everywhere and orange for highlights.
Perfect!

LuisAugusto
December 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks god is not official.

I don't want to be rude but, anybody thinking that would be a nice default theme lacks any kind of common sense, and taste...

Th only thing good about it is the dropdown menu (the design itself, not the color).

SomeGuyDude
December 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM

I don't want to be rude but, anybody thinking that would be a nice default theme lacks any kind of common sense, and taste...

Th only thing good about it is the dropdown menu (the design itself, not the color).

Agreed. I like the earth tones, but this isn't earth-toned, it's overly dark and muddy looking.

Pastels, folks, not shades.

Methuselah
December 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM

As they say "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and all of them stink..."

To me, some of the things people are saying would be suitable are absolutely hideous not to mention creatively bankrupt, wholly derivative and not fitting with the theme of Ubuntu,

By the way, just a tip, prefixing something rude with "not to be rude" does not nullify the effect... ;)

SomeGuyDude
December 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
The problem is, once you go dark enough that the text has to be white-ish, you've gone too far for the vast majority of people to accept as default. The dropdown menu looks great, the panels look awful.

LuisAugusto
December 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM
As they say "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and all of them stink..."

To me, some of the things people are saying would be suitable are absolutely hideous not to mention creatively bankrupt, wholly derivative and not fitting with the theme of Ubuntu,

By the way, just a tip, prefixing something rude with "not to be rude" does not nullify the effect... ;)

Yes, I know everybody has it own opinion, that doesn't change anything.

I already mentioned this once, based in the fact that we're a society, we have a lot of things in common, which means that there are things most (special mention to the most) of us find pleasant.

Like with women (or men, for girls).

Again, as I said once, take that screenshot to the street, and ask.
Then take a Windows Vista or OS X screenshot, and ask too.

You'll see the results of what I'm saying :)

Methuselah
December 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
The problem is, once you go dark enough that the text has to be white-ish, you've gone too far for the vast majority of people to accept as default.

Not a problem IMO.
I have always found light text on dark easier on the eyes.
Maybe many people are used to what is customary in books...but books aren't like a light shining into your face, computer screens are.
I think the console (comand line) has always had it right.

The defualt look isn't a dealbreaker for me anyway. It's pretty easy to define your own or just download one!

misfitpierce
December 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think if thats the way its going it looks tremendous. Love it. :)

khurrum1990
December 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
How many of u like to keep the default OS look? I know I don't but I was just wondering.

Tomosaur
December 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I actually really like the dark brown colours - but the main problem is integrating the look with other software. If they can pull it off sensibly, then great. I like the dark background and panels, and the new menu looks great.

khurrum1990
December 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I actually really like the dark brown colours - but the main problem is integrating the look with other software. If they can pull it off sensibly, then great. I like the dark background and panels, and the new menu looks great.
This theme isn't official yet, its just a mock up. Its not that its dark brown, its that its become too brown.

Kernel Sanders
December 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=svgpanels_minidesktop.jpg

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=svgpanels_panelzoom.jpg

Just..... WOW! I love it!

Linux and Ubuntu needs this so badly it's untrue. It needs the "wow factor". It needs people to look at it and think it's beautiful from the off, rather than "there are lots of themes for it if you go to Gnome Look"

Function only goes so far in the eyes of the consumer, they need fashion too, and i'm delighted that this is being addressed for Hardy Heron.

I really hope they don't lose their nerve in the face of opposition from the hardcore users. It's alright for them, they can make ubuntu beautiful themselves. Newbe's can't, and there isn't much incentive to stay with Ubuntu if it doesn't look awesome from the get go.

Delighted with this!

jlotempio
December 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Not a big fan, def to Willy Wonka style for me. Loved all the versions up to Gutsy, not a fan of the mockup, too overdone. I agree with the plea to add some glossy panels and icons, polish Gutsy a bit and your good to go.

Nekiruhs
December 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM

I actually like the proposed theme, I think it looks very professional. Your them, IMO, has too much grey, not enough brown. I had to look at them a second time to see the brown.

lyceum
December 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I actually like the proposed theme, I think it looks very professional. Your them, IMO, has too much grey, not enough brown. I had to look at them a second time to see the brown.

Nothing personal, what is up with the color brown? It is not a very profesional color. Why are Ubuntu stuck with the brown? Does anyone know?

rune0077
December 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Nothing personal, what is up with the color brown? It is not a very profesional color. Why are Ubuntu stuck with the brown? Does anyone know?

I've been asking myself that too. My first impression of Ubuntu, after installing, was: "What a horrible colour!" After each reinstallation, the first thing I do is get rid of everything even remotely brown on the desktop. But then again, each his own...

Prisma
December 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I've been asking myself that too. My first impression of Ubuntu, after installing, was: "What a horrible colour!" After each reinstallation, the first thing I do is get rid of everything even remotely brown on the desktop. But then again, each his own...

That's the reason I believe there should be at least 3 different colour sets of the main theme. The default could be that Brownish theme, and the alternative ones could be black/white, silver or blue. I am talking about official themes not something grabbed from gnome-look.org or those ugly alternatives that come with Ubuntu.

khurrum1990
December 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ubuntu seriously needs to improve its themes, the human theme is still bearable but the alternatives with it make me puke.

tech9
December 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Hey guys,

Ubuntu Hardy Heron theme work begins... (http://www.breakitdownblog.com/ubuntu-hardy-heron-theme-work-begins/) I am not fond of the dark brown

kripkenstein
December 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Well, Windows and OS X look 'professional', but they have done it to death already. Ubuntu wanted a different look: the idea is that if you see a screenshot, you should recognize immediately "hey, that's Ubuntu!" - which wouldn't work with yet another standard blue/shiny/etc. theme.

So I think Ubuntu is purposefully trying to look different. As for it not being 'professional', well, those things change over time - it wasn't long ago when 'Google' would sound like a *very* unprofessional name for a serious company, but hey, today it's the #1 brand and even a dictionary word :)

However, I do agree that the actual implementation of Ubuntu themes has been sub-par, mostly. I think brown/orange/etc. can look very good, but Ubuntu isn't quite there yet. Hopefully Hardy will be a step in that direction. The screenshots look somewhat promising, if they tone things down a bit.

rune0077
December 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Well, Windows and OS X look 'professional', but they have done it to death already. Ubuntu wanted a different look: the idea is that if you see a screenshot, you should recognize immediately "hey, that's Ubuntu!" - which wouldn't work with yet another standard blue/shiny/etc. theme.

Which I absolutely get. But really, did it have to be brown?

oldb0y
December 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I love the brown and the dirt-like colors:mrgreen:

Polygon
December 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Which I absolutely get. But really, did it have to be brown?

what makes blue or silver a 'professional' color? What standard are we comparing colors to make them seem professional or not? Its just all down to preference.

rune0077
December 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
what makes blue or silver a 'professional' color? What standard are we comparing colors to make them seem professional or not? Its just all down to preference.

Uh, never said blue or silver was a professional colour (someone else did). I'm not even sure what a "professional colour" really means, nor do I particularly want to find out. I just said I didn't like the brown.

Ub1476
December 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Uh, never said blue or silver was a professional colour (someone else did). I'm not even sure what a "professional colour" really means, nor do I particularly want to find out. I just said I didn't like the brown.

Well, I guess a professional color is something which looks "clean". I think the Ubuntu team will have a hard time making brown "clean", but everything is possible:)

Tomosaur
December 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I like the dark colour scheme - particularly now that it's all glossy too. I think it will be very popular, even though the mockups have received a very split reaction.

dr.silly
December 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM
disgusting
terrible

way to much chocolatey

pmgr33r
December 14th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Much too much brown...no me gusta

lyceum
December 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Yeah, Ubuntu was the 3rd or 4th distro I tried and I threw it out at first because it is so ugly. I went back to it once I learned how to change the look.

So I think Ubuntu is purposefully trying to look different. As for it not being 'professional', well, those things change over time - it wasn't long ago when 'Google' would sound like a *very* unprofessional name for a serious company, but hey, today it's the #1 brand and even a dictionary word :)

However, I do agree that the actual implementation of Ubuntu themes has been sub-par, mostly. I think brown/orange/etc. can look very good, but Ubuntu isn't quite there yet. Hopefully Hardy will be a step in that direction. The screenshots look somewhat promising, if they tone things down a bit.

I think Ubuntu's colors can look profesional, and I think you are right, it should not look like MS or Mac. I also think it should not look like poo. Edubuntu looks better than Ubuntu. I really don't get it.

_sAm_
December 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM
This must be the ugliest theme I have ever seen, just awful! Even really ugly Geubuntu theme looks better, if you can use the word ”better” here…

macogw
December 14th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I love the chocolate glossy look from the palette. It's gorgeous, although it makes me want to eat my computer, and that would be bad :(
That's the response I got when I switched the wallpaper on the Mac my boss & I shared to an Ubuntu one. "Oh, that looks like mousse. Can I get a spoon and eat it?"

I like it. Gutsy's default (with mods to the panel colors) was also a big improvement over Dapper, Edgy, and Feisty. I really like the chocolate-y wallpapers a lot more than the tan ones those three had.

aaaantoine
December 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
*Didn't read the thread, may be reiterating an established opinion*

I love the design! Absolutely love it! But please make it so the user can change the palette around.

pt123
December 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I still don't get why this is not being used as the template for the default theme

Suggestions / Requests no longer considered

After several updates to the theme, several requests are surfacing that would regress to the styles of previous versions. At this point, some portions on the theme have officially hit the "Happy Medium", to the point where any changes would just have suggestions to be reversed. Further changes to the listed below will either need to be applied personally, or at the authors lone discretion.

Basic colour pallet: Ubuntu's official colours are Brown, Beige and Orange. Black, Green, Blue, Silver and other colours would necessitate alternate colour schemes entirely.
Brown Saturation / Hue / Lightness
Beige Saturation / Hue / Lightness
Gradients from Brown to Beige
Wallpapers (The wallpapers shown in screen-shots are not part of the theme)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals

Ridiculous.

phaed
December 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Ugly. Hate it. They are going to invest a lot of time and energy into this, and most of us will be using our own themes anyway.

lyceum
December 21st, 2007, 12:48 PM
I still don't get why this is not being used as the template for the default theme

I like that one a lot too. I am not sure how useful a spinner would be on a desktop, but it does look cool.

geekygirl
December 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
I think personally that it looks overdone in the brown and glossy department....

What with glossy anyways? Its not the best thing to look at, besides who wants a desktop in Ubuntu that is more and more like a brown Vista one anyways..

Way too much brown, tool tips dont need to be brown, I like the move from the previously rather simple themes but overkill in the chocolate colour department!!

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Shiny's for things like KDE, not GNOME. Glossy is another matter.

I hate these dock like things, imitating OS X just looks pathetic.

rune0077
December 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM
I hate these dock like things, imitating OS X just looks pathetic.

I like the docks, and it has nothing to do with imitations. I was always more of a Windows guy and I've never much used OS X so I wouldn't even know how to imitate it. My Ubuntu looks a lot more like Windows than like, well, anything else I can think off. Still, once I had AWN installed, I can't for the like of me imagine how I ever survived all these years without a dock. They look great, and they're just about the single most useful application I have on my system (hell, I even downloaded a dock for my Vista partition once I realized how great they were).

TBOL3
December 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM
While the theme looks nice, I don't really like it. I loved the orange-brown color. Unlike nearly everyone else I've talked to, I find it easy on my eyes.

hanzomon4
December 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals

Ridiculous.

That is just sweet...

hessiess
December 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
its too dark

syxbit
December 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM
are any of these mockups actually available to download so i can try them?
i really like the dark browns with svg

xat_
December 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM

What constitutes a "professional color"?

phaed
December 21st, 2007, 11:08 PM
This theme is god awful ugly, and it breaks the accessibility requirements. The text in the drop down menu is difficult to read. Maybe not for you, but some users and potential users will have poor eye sight. A theme like this is totally unprofessional.

What's wrong with good old-fashioned Clearlooks? If you want something snazzier, you can always change the theme, but a *default* theme should be simple and accessible.

23meg
December 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
are any of these mockups actually available to download so i can try them?

No (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2007-December/004644.html).

23meg
December 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Why are Ubuntu stuck with the brown? Does anyone know?
This is an unofficial concept mockup (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2007-December/004649.html). The Hardy theme will be mostly orange and black.

new2*buntu
December 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
This is an unofficial concept mockup (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2007-December/004649.html). The Hardy theme will be mostly orange and black.

Wow that theme looked great! I just think that the Show Desktop button at the bottom left was ugly.

rune0077
December 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM

Oh okay, I can cope with orange and black.

Lostincyberspace
December 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Not to shabby.

exploder
December 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
That is a decent looking theme! Nice improvement!

rabid9797
December 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM

oh god that old mock-up is orgasmic. I WANT IT.

ALSO: at the maker of that mock-up(and the old one), you might want to make a submission to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy , i would really like to see that mock-up become reality

Polygon
December 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
if they could make the buttons less round i would like it a lot, i still think its pretty cool though

and the show desktop button is the gnome default, thats not how its going to look in the final version.

but at least no one will be able to say that the main color is orange (unlike the current human theme)

Kernel Sanders
December 22nd, 2007, 02:12 AM

That's terrible :(

I hope the developers stick to being bold. After all, the default theme needs to make new users go "WOW". The experienced users can go to Gnome Look whenever they like. It's the new users that need to be drawn to the eye candy.

Subtle themes may suit the more experienced users, but it's the new users that need to be visually impressed by Ubuntu from the get go.

superstoned
December 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, me also really wonders. Personally, I like the current Ubuntu theme (I hate the mockups). But most ppl I show Ubuntu complain it looks like **** (literally). Not something I'd like to be associated with...

Something lighter and a bit more colorful, like the KDE 4 Oxygen theme, would be more appropriate. Of course copying that would be rather silly.

isaacj87
December 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
See, now this is brown being used well...This is a really sweet mock-up. It looks professional, but still has the Ubuntu feel.

I'm referring to this mock-up posted a couple posts back...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Kerberos

koleoptero
December 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
I like that last theme, it looks good even with a blue wallpaper, and it's neither too glossy nor too plain. I hope they'll also make these themes available for download for gutsy.

talsemgeest
December 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, it is just a bit too brown for my liking. Or maybe just too dark shades of brown, especially on the wallpaper

GSF1200S
December 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I like that last one... looks clean, sharp, and professional.

shingalated
December 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
The unofficial one is the worst theme I have ever seen. Honestly. It looks like Warty with rounded buttons. It is awful! I never thought a theme would make me want to switch distros, but I think if this one was chosen, I would!
...Just my opinion.

vlasvlasvlas
December 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
its amaziiiiiing i love it!

Prisma
December 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't like that last theme. Looks very similar of what canonical used in previous releases of Ubuntu and the whole point is to move forward not to stay in the past.

hanzomon4
December 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Now that's more like it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Inco...rnate/Kerberos

smartboyathome
December 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Brown is here to stay, people, Brown can look very nice depending on how you use it. You just need to find that theme which uses brown, but doesn't overpower with brown and doesn't have *too* high a contrast..

rune0077
December 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Brown is here to stay, people, Brown can look very nice depending on how you use it.

Erh, no, not so much if you ask me.

smartboyathome
December 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Erh, no, not so much if you ask me.

So, I guess you haven't seen the Hershey's chocolate package, or the forum here?

LuisAugusto
December 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
The theme isn't official, get over it.

Those 2 are definitively the better among all others:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/SatinRibbon?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=u-theme-satin-1.png
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mockup_Panels_dropdown.jpg

smartboyathome
December 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
The first one you posted I think can only be done with the pixmap engine. The second I think overuses brown a bit (if you look at the other mockups on that page).

rune0077
December 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
So, I guess you haven't seen the Hershey's chocolate package, or the forum here?

Never seen the Hershey's thingy no (we don't have Hershey's over here). Seen the forum, obviously, but never claimed to like it (it's colours and design that is, I like the forum itself plenty).

LuisAugusto
December 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
The first one you posted I think can only be done with the pixmap engine. The second I think overuses brown a bit (if you look at the other mockups on that page).

I only like that mockup I pasted from BasicIdeals, the rest is quite ugly XD (tough the last one is less awful)

About the first one, the dev could make a new engine from scratch, avoiding the heavy pixmap engine, however, it isn't as it turn me nuts that much XD

nikoPSK
December 22nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
The theme isn't official, get over it.

Those 2 are definitively the better among all others:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/SatinRibbon?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=u-theme-satin-1.png
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mockup_Panels_dropdown.jpg

in the second pic I actually like the blurred menu. If they stick to human icons and offer a white version I would enjoy it. I like the menus. But overall the dark brown really isn't me.

Kernel Sanders
December 23rd, 2007, 01:03 AM

Now THATS the "WOW" effect that will get users to Linux. The developers need to be bold like this!

smartboyathome
December 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM

Now THATS the "WOW" effect that will get users to Linux. The developers need to be bold like this!

I would say that is a design which should be more aimed at Hardy+1, as it isn't as easy to look at over long periods imo.

shingalated
December 23rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
Now THAT'S more like it! I really like that one. I don't think it's too brown, and it looks a lot bettor than that Kerberos one IMHO. I really like the way the menus sort of "flow" out of the rounded button areas, and I like the orange highlights which are in just the right places.:)

shingalated
December 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
yeah

Kimm
December 31st, 2007, 04:46 PM
That theme is horrible!!
If I was a new user and saw that, it would completely put me off ubuntu. Luckily, if the time comes when we see a theme like that, I can find some theme with less ugly in it.

Virtus92
December 31st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Why use that damn ugly brown theme? Light blue is way better, more neutral and it doesn't scare potential Linux-users away. Btw I am using KDE and I know everyone with Gnome would response with: "Use KDE then, if you don't like brown." But I think it would get alot of windows guys to Linux, if you change the colours,

boteeka
December 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
How about making Gnome themes' colors changeable, like color-schemes? That would open up a totally different new world in theming.

This way people could change only the colors (or the color palette) of a theme, and those who like the look of a theme but not the colors, could change only the colors.

I know this probably is easier to say than to do actually. But it would worth it.

23meg
December 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
It's already doable. Check out the Clearlooks that comes with Gutsy.

Murrine also has configurable everything.

Virtus92
December 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM
I know it's possible, but it is must be simplified so newbies can change it very easily. (Maybe make an option in the installation, where you can select the default colours)

pt123
December 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM

The panels are too brown. The problem with brown is that hardly goes with other colours like the green in the wallpaper.
That said the style is good in this.

rye_
February 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
yeah,

look at trees, bushes etc. brown and green? what was the nature thinking?

pieisgood4589
February 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Does anyone have a temporary theme for this? It would be great... (The brown and "chocolatey" one)

k2t0f12d
February 8th, 2008, 12:28 AM
If it didn't improve in any other way besides dropping the *IDIOTIC* phlegm-like vista-esque backgrounds, I could not be made happier.

misfitpierce
February 8th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I heard that the theme wont be changed in Hardy due to them focusing more on stability and performance for the LTS rather than looks...

NovaAesa
February 8th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I heard that the theme wont be changed in Hardy due to them focusing more on stability and performance for the LTS rather than looks...

I heard that too :(
I really liked the dark chocolaty brown in the mock-ups rather than the lightish brown in Gutsy.

nikoPSK
February 8th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Good. I like human, let it stay that way. As stated before, too willy wonka for me.

wordchisler
February 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I like the chocolate glossy from the pallette as well, and the other options. The screenshot seems a tad busy.

I much prefer the pallette & screenshot to the beige-tending tones of human, though. I also like the greater contrast between the panel color and the drop-down menu color.

Just my 2¢

23meg
February 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4124287&postcount=1

It doesn't have anything to do with stability and performance.

lyceum
February 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4124287&postcount=1

It doesn't have anything to do with stability and performance.

So the idea than is that 6.10-7.10 are the betas for 8.04? That does make sense, but I still feel that 8.04 should focus on a re-design. If nothing else, the best muddy looking "human" design to date. As much as I love Ubuntu, I still cannot understand how poo colors = human :confused:This does get me pumped for 8.10 though :)

23meg
February 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
So the idea than is that 6.10-7.10 are the betas for 8.04?

More precisely, that a LTS cycle begins with a LTS+1 release, and ends with the next LTS release. The cycle that included 6.10, 7.04 and 7.10 will be concluded by 8.04, so the radical break will be reserved to 8.10.

but I still feel that 8.04 should focus on a re-design.

You can expect a new GTK theme, with Clearlooks or Murrine instead of Ubuntulooks, new panel icons, new wallpaper and slightly changed Metacity theme. This is my reportage from the current talk in the ubuntu-art mailing list; don't take it as a "promise".

dragobr
February 10th, 2008, 01:07 AM
That's very sad! I was looking forward to this...

I really think the Ubuntu default theme lacks a modern OS look... Somethings should be more flexible, things like this cannot be locked in time because of a development cycle that extends itself for years..

Anyway, that's usually how it happens... great news for the next release.. than they don't happen, and after one or two releases they come..

khensucat
February 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Has anyone seen the "Zune" theme for Windows XP? That's pretty much what the Ubuntu theme should have been, IMO ;)

BigSilly
February 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I completely agree. I think it's really, really nice. I've been trying to achieve a similar look on my Gutsy, but had to abandon it because I can't get Firefox to look right no matter what I do.

I really hope they do this. Has it been announced or is this someone's mock-up?

dnns123
February 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Cant we have the same as Fedora? The theme looks refreshing every version. Especially the wallpapers

23meg
February 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Has it been announced or is this someone's mock-up?

It's a mockup.

BigSilly
February 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
It's a mockup.

If that's true then it's a shame. Hopefully it'll be easier to achieve that look and have it be consistent throughout your system with Hardy.

You don't happen to have any images of what it will look like, that you could link for us do you? I'd very much like to see how it's progressing in the looks department!

23meg
February 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hopefully it'll be easier to achieve that look and have it be consistent throughout your system with Hardy.

It's still not possible to have rounded menu edges.

You don't happen to have any images of what it will look like, that you could link for us do you? I'd very much like to see how it's progressing in the looks department!

No. You may want to follow the upcoming alphas or daily builds; the theme changes should start appearing soon.

theproc64
February 14th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I like the old mock up a lot better, it looks cool. Both of them look awesome though and I might actually use the human theme this time.

Blue Heron
April 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I like the new theme :)

Lmack769
May 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know of an ubuntu theme that looks close to the style used in the MS zune theme for XP? My current theme (OrangeLiNstaBlackPlastic) is close to what I am looking for but it looks more glossy than the zune theme.

graabein
May 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The new theme is supposed to appear in Ubuntu 8.10. Where can we follow the development without installing daily builds?

Lmack769
May 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Just upgraded to Hardy; however, even though I am running ubuntu in VMware, 8.04 seems more responsive than 7.10 ever did. I installed VM tools in 7.10 but did 8.04 improve those packages.

23meg
May 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
The new theme is supposed to appear in Ubuntu 8.10. Where can we follow the development without installing daily builds?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/

geekgod90
October 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM
:guitar:

Ubuntu rocks

Even i saw a nice artcle bout d upcoming version

Take a look at d theme

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2008/10/04/what-should-the-next-version-of-ubuntu-bring-us/

mikewhatever
October 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM
:guitar:

Ubuntu rocks

Even i saw a nice artcle bout d upcoming version

Take a look at d theme

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2008/10/04/what-should-the-next-version-of-ubuntu-bring-us/

Have you noticed that this thread is from Feb-May 2008? Why dig it up now?