PDA

View Full Version : windows os on memory stick.....(brainstorming)

determinedblkman1
December 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM
just an idea, who thinks it's possible to format a (lets say a 4gb) memory stick (w/ ntfs) (using linux w/ the grub boot loader?) with windows OS. making it possible to start it w/o rebooting

it would be ideal to be able to emulate a boot (i've seen this done w/ the linux "crossover" program) this would make it possible to plug it in & initialize.

this is just an idea, if anyone has a way to make this a reality, or point out anymore possible obstacles i ask that you point them out to me.

appreciate your help

Iceni
December 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
You can do that with windows embedded/CE whatever they call it these days, I think.

Crashmaxx
December 11th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Best bet would be some sort of Linux on the usb drive and only run an emulator like Virtual Box and have Windows in that.

Or maybe just run it within a portable version of Quem or other emulator with Windows within that.

If you just want certain apps, you can get portable versions of most open source programs easily and there is software that will make normal software able to be installed on the usb drive.

The big problem with Windows booting from a usb drive is that a Windows install doesn't like to see hardware change and that would happen everytime you use it on another computer. Even if that was OK, you would need drivers for each computer you used it on, which makes it really impractical. An emulator solves this by giving Windows constant virtual hardware to run on, regardless what the actual hardware is.

What are you trying to accomplish with this? A way to boot Windows on any machine? A copy of Windows you can open in a window and use? Just a few specific apps everywhere you go?

hkgonra
December 11th, 2007, 01:10 AM
they have some "livecd" xp conversions out there so I am betting you could get it on a usb drive.

HermanAB
December 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Oldhat really. BartPE can do that: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

determinedblkman1
December 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM
thank you for you response. i agree w/ your point about windows hardware detection, and an imulation program also. but i wasnt aware of "quem, or virtual box"- i'm a try to see what i can do with them.
as for my goal: i just think it would be cool to have like all your settings,apps,etc @ your disposal no matter where ur at or what computer ur on.