PDA

View Full Version : PLZ Digg/Reddit My Kubuntu Review To Help Spread The Word

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
http://seethisnowreadthis.blogspot.com/

I have written a great honest review about the advantages of Linux. Spread the word with Digg and Reddit. Thanks.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
no offense, but that just smacks of bias right off the bat. and this statement:

You'll actually find that all of the commercial software that you have been using has a free open source Linux counterpart

come on, you know that's not true.

Kingsley
December 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Your "review" sounds more like a personal anecdote. It was a nice read though.

Each have their pluses and minuses, but KDE seems to be the most advanced at the moment.
How is KDE the most advanced?

~LoKe
December 11th, 2007, 12:58 AM
That's probably one of the worst, most biased and simply incorrect reviews I've ever read.

-grubby
December 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM
That's probably one of the worst, most biased and simply incorrect reviews I've ever read.

yah I don't see where it says the disadvantages. It's like you sugarcoat Ubuntu.

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Your "review" sounds more like a personal anecdote. It was a nice read though.

How is KDE the most advanced?

Even Linus Trovalds said KDE is better, why do you argue this? The Bluetooth manager actually works, the user interface is more friendly, there are less bugs, the included applications are superior (ktorrent, K3B, etc...), etc...

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 02:25 AM
yah I don't see where it says the disadvantages. It's like you sugarcoat Ubuntu.

There are disadvantages, lol, of course. I'm trying to "sell" it to people because I think overall it is a better OS. You never mention the bad points when you try to sell something...

Nano Geek
December 11th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Even Linus Trovalds said KDE is better, why do you argue this? The Bluetooth manager actually works, the user interface is more friendly, there are less bugs, the included applications are superior (ktorrent, K3B, etc...), etc...But that's personal opinion. For example, I've used both GNOME and KDE, and I have decided that I like GNOME for just about every reason you like KDE. It just depends on what you like best.

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 02:31 AM
But that's personal opinion. For example, I've used both GNOME and KDE, and I have decided that I like GNOME for just about every reason you like KDE. It just depends on what you like best.

Please tell me what is better about Gnome?

-grubby
December 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM

please no DE wars this thread does not need to be closed

~LoKe
December 11th, 2007, 02:48 AM

It's about preference. You can't dell a DE just like you can't sell music. You have to be critical, honest and fair if you want to express your opinion. It's not a review if you only praise the good, but make no mention of the bad.

I used to be a die-hard Gnome user, but even then I could admit KDE was appealing for several reason. Hell, now I use DWM and I'm quick to sell Gnome to most, 'cause I know they'll probably have a good time with it.

Your "review" seems more like a rant about Gnome.

Nano Geek
December 11th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Please tell me what is better about Gnome?Well, I like its simplicity, but you may not see that or like it. Again, purely personal preference.

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 03:12 AM
It's about preference. You can't dell a DE just like you can't sell music. You have to be critical, honest and fair if you want to express your opinion. It's not a review if you only praise the good, but make no mention of the bad.

I used to be a die-hard Gnome user, but even then I could admit KDE was appealing for several reason. Hell, now I use DWM and I'm quick to sell Gnome to most, 'cause I know they'll probably have a good time with it.

Your "review" seems more like a rant about Gnome.

You think like a customer, lol, and not like a seller.

p_quarles
December 11th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Hmm. It strikes me that "sellers" who are unable to think like a customer (i.e., understand that they are looking for honest appraisals) generally don't tend to last very long in their chosen field.

~LoKe
December 11th, 2007, 03:29 AM
So you're trying to convince someone to use a DE they don't want? Nice work...completely against the ideology of Ubuntu.

maniacmusician
December 11th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Heh, even as a regular KDE user and an occasional Gnome user, I'm flabbergasted by this so called "review". Perhaps it was simply an excercise to see how off the mark and inaccurate it's possible to be.

The last thing we need is potential linux users reading that.

Nano Geek
December 11th, 2007, 03:41 AM
You think like a customer, lol, and not like a seller.If it is supposed to be a review, then it should say what the consumer wants to hear, not what the seller wants them to hear.

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Heh, even as a regular KDE user and an occasional Gnome user, I'm flabbergasted by this so called "review". Perhaps it was simply an excercise to see how off the mark and inaccurate it's possible to be.

The last thing we need is potential linux users reading that.

what is inaccurate about it?

tubasoldier
December 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I didn't actually read your review. However, I'm quite sure that people who use Digg or Reddit have definitely heard of Linux and Ubuntu. If you really want to "spread the word" then tell people at school/work/in the family.

From the sounds of all the other comments you should also think about including some of the negatives of KDE. When it comes to Linux/KDE/Gnome it is best to give everyone the full story, not just the 'positives' as you put it.

hotweiss
December 11th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I guess I could write about the fact that games are not natively supported and that there are some problems with getting drivers... You know what, that's what I'll do. I'll write about with what is wrong with Linux. Wait for part 2.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I didn't actually read your review.

you should have given up 47 seconds of your life to do so.

Wait for part 2.

..can't wait..

pelle.k
December 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Even though i agree with most of you, why are you so incredible nasty about it? That'll just fire him up even more.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
nasty because people are honest? okay.

pelle.k
December 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
No, that is your assumption and not what i meant. You can disagree without overdoing it. You don't have to rub it in their face.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
oh, you'd know if i was rubbing it in their face, trust me. how about you mind your own posts.

pelle.k
December 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
n3tfury, i wasn't pointing to you in particular. You took it personally and tell me to mind my own business. See the irony in that statement?
Why do i have the feeling you're gonna slap me in the face just one more time, just because you can? :popcorn:

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM
mmm. popcorn.

aysiu
December 12th, 2007, 01:49 AM
This is borderline spam/advertising and doesn't seem to be generating constructive conversation. I'm closing the thread.