PDA

View Full Version : Top undermentioned features in Ubuntu

rich.bradshaw
December 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've just blogged about 8 features I love in Ubuntu that noone ever talks about: http://richbradshaw.wordpress.com/2007/12/10/featuresyoudidntknowinubuntulinux/ have you got any others you think I should add, or any comments?

meborc
December 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM
1,2,3,5 are pretty good... i didn't know one could link google calendar with evolution :) nice catch (don't use gnome, so can't try it out)

the others are well known, at least thats the impression i get when looking around in the forums and the screenshots... gnome do is a new thing, and a a separate program (as well as awn etc) so i dont know if that sould be on the list :) but still, good effort

bobbocanfly
December 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Some really small things like the command-not-found hook in bash that looks up the apt-repos and tells you what package you need to install to get the command you were trying to run. Its little thing like that that make Ubuntu so usable.

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
:confused:
Curse you I just installed gnome-do, and realized I don't use any of the programs for it.

TheAL76
December 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I don't think I've seen number 5 happen on my machine.

Was there some configuration or setup that you did to have num 5 happen?

Crashmaxx
December 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Great blog! I replied there with questions about #1 because that is really the coolest feature.

Here are a few features of my own:

Leave a message with gnome screensaver:
This is part of the new Gnome, now if you lock your screen or have it lock when the screensaver comes on, there is a button for others to leave you a message. When you come back, the message will pop up in the corner. Almost makes up for the lack of other normal features gnome screensaver has.
Mount almost anything anywhere:
I mount my schools network drive using sshfs, but the truth is anything you have access to you can mount. Windows shares, ftp servers, and all the obvious physical partitions. And you can put them anywhere and call them whatever you want, instead of just letters.
Alt+F2 to run a quick command
I didn't realize this one for a while, but it is perfect for stuff that runs in the background like compiz.
Map XKill to Ctrl+Alt+Del:
XKill is a really neat app that makes it so whatever app you click on closes right away. I prefer to have the three fingered salute mapped to it, because 90% of the time you need to use that is to kill a locked up program. It is much faster and easier then having that process panel come up.

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Mount almost anything anywhere:
I mount my schools network drive using sshfs, but the truth is anything you have access to you can mount. Windows shares, ftp servers, and all the obvious physical partitions. And you can put them anywhere and call them whatever you want, instead of just letters.So true, you can even mount things you shouldn't like the teachers hard drive...
:lol:

aimran
December 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
[/LIST]So true, you can even mount things you shouldn't like the teachers hard drive...
:lol:

Hmm my teacher has a floppy disk, is that mountable?

SuperMike
December 10th, 2007, 11:53 PM
My favorite feature -- small disk footprint with a robust OS. How about consuming only 2GB for the OS (even with a lot of features) instead of 20GB like is required with any other OS?

Lostincyberspace
December 11th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hmm my teacher has a floppy disk, is that mountable?
Simply put yes.

Darkhack
December 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Very few of these features are Ubuntu specific, but for Linux in general, there are a lot of little things that I like. I can't really think of anything that hasn't been said before or isn't considered a major feature. But for small features I like...

- ability to lock the screen while AFK
- cron jobs
- ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X for when programs crash the entire X server or just for switching window managers

Every other feature I like is pretty mainstream.

Mateo
December 11th, 2007, 02:09 AM
apparently Evolution 1.14 will have read/write of google calendars.

picpak
December 11th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Typing / on the desktop to open an address bar that opens files.
Dragging files into the terminal to get its path.

-grubby
December 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM

I had no idea you could do that! That's awesome

conehead77
December 11th, 2007, 02:50 AM

wow, why didnt i know that yet??

GSF1200S
December 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I know this is a little technical in nature, but especially for new users, I think failsafe X is a HUGE feature. I remember sitting at a command line the first time after my failed attempts with video drivers crashed X- with failsafe X it just loads the OSS drivers and you can T/S with a GUI. I kinda wish this could be turned off, but its still a great feature that many dont talk about or realize...

**EDIT** Between this, theming, and the integration thats going on, Im seriously considering Gnome again... (I dread Nautilus though)

FuturePilot
December 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Wow! I swear I learn a new feature every day! And I've been using Ubuntu for how long? :lol:

To the OP, that's a nice list there. ;)

Crashmaxx
December 11th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I saw this on LifeHacker (http://lifehacker.com/software/linux-tip/open-folders-quickly-using-forward-slash-key-331147.php) but thought it was a guide to a script or add-on, not a default feature, cool!

picpak
December 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I saw this on LifeHacker (http://lifehacker.com/software/linux-tip/open-folders-quickly-using-forward-slash-key-331147.php) but thought it was a guide to a script or add-on, not a default feature, cool!

Yeah, that's where I found it. :)

Doesn't work in Xfce though. :(

MetalMusicAddict
December 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
X over SSH has got to be another one. :)

misfitpierce
December 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I knew bout them all but Gnome-Do and now know of that thanks to you :)

SupaSonic
December 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM
X over SSH has got to be another one. :)

God bless X over SSH! I use it every day.

MozartlovesUbun2
December 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Great blog! I replied there with questions about #1 because that is really the coolest feature.

Here are a few features of my own:

Map XKill to Ctrl+Alt+Del:
XKill is a really neat app that makes it so whatever app you click on closes right away. I prefer to have the three fingered salute mapped to it, because 90% of the time you need to use that is to kill a locked up program. It is much faster and easier then having that process panel come up.

How do you do that

kvonb
December 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM
-

shafin
December 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thats one great tip.
Thanks

rax_m
December 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Some great tips here ... thanks all.

I especially like the "use / to open a location bar". :)

Not sure if people know about Alt-F1 to open the main menu.. saves reaching for the mouse.