PDA

View Full Version : "Social networking" sites--do you use them?

herbster
December 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I visited myspace once to check a band's page and the nausea from the design had me questioning how anyone could spend time on that site :? Facebook is an obviously cleaner layout, but after signing up I haven't touched it. I see the "reconnecting with people" aspect and such and it can be nice for many people, but I find that I just don't use these sites at all.

How about you?

P.S. Yes, I am secretly collecting data on this forum's users as an agent for Evil Social Networking Data Mining Corp.

Ob1
December 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
nah, I might sometime join such a network but I maintain contact with people via email or instant messaging, that's good enough...

boast
December 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
nope.

I would need to have friends first :D

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
"used/use" as in actually have an account? no.

"used" as in someone linked me to a band several times? yeah.

bonzodog
December 10th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I actually have a Facebook account which I use, as does the rest of my family, and they are abroad from me, so it's a good way of keeping up with them.

Does Digg/Slashdot/Reddit count as 'social networking'?

I also have accounts with all of these and often comment on things, though I find the average age of most of the people on them somewhere in the low teenage bracket, and the possible mental age much lower than that.

toupeiro
December 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I had a Xanga account since 2001 that I just recently shut down. I have a myspace, but I don't do much with it except listen to music.

billgoldberg
December 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I don't come on the internet to make friends. I have pidgin/email/phone/sms to keep in touch with my friends.

Erdaron
December 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I hate myspace, but I keep up with a couple blogs on there, and listen to music. It's actually pretty good for discovering new bands.

I use facebook a lot more. It's cleaner (as long as you ignore all those pointless apps). Now that I've started using iLike, I started finding new artists on facebook, too.

Also, I'm in a comedy group, and we use both for advertising. That's actually a pretty good use. Much better than fliering, anyway.

Kingsley
December 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I use Facebook to have a quick chat with friends or to contact people I wouldn't really talk to often. Facebook makes E-mail and IM seem kinda outdated :D.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I use Facebook to have a quick chat with friends or to contact people I wouldn't really talk to often. Facebook makes E-mail and IM seem kinda outdated :D.

neither of those is outdated if all you need to do is communicate with the other person.

PartisanEntity
December 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
No I don't use them. I see them as being nothing more than sugar coated data mining scams. I keep in touch with friends and relatives quite easily using emails, messaging, forums and phone calls as well as obviously meeting, face to face, those who live in the same city.

Kingsley
December 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
neither of those is outdated if all you need to do is communicate with the other person.

True, but most people (at my college) check the FB account much more frequently. I shouldn't have used the word outdated though. Maybe tedious or inefficient is better.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
how is email or IM "tedious"? i can see the Facebook appeal for college peeps though.

glupee
December 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I use facebook cause it's great for planning my weekend events. Planning parties is easy when u can send eveyone on there a message about when and where and i get little reminders of things so i don't double book. It's perfect for me. Bout data mining, i couldn't care less. Not like i use real personal info. Since facebook, i haven't had the need for any im services and i never really used email either. All my friends live close enough where i actually get to see them, which is my preferred form of communication anyway.

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't come on the internet to make friends. I have pidgin/email/phone/sms to keep in touch with my friends.

Truer words were never spoken in my opinion.

I have a facebook acct, as well as a Myspace account. I rarely login to them. I used to do Facebook before it got the "OMG It's the new Myspace" hype, and actually enjoyed the pre-widget days. It allowed me to find old highschool buddies and reminisce. Aside from that, I'm with billgoldberg.

herbster
December 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Mustn't one be "on the internet" to use pidgin/email?

spamzilla
December 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Nope never although I had a site which was affiliated with *shudders* Zoints which was a crappy bug ridden copy of myspace. Needless to say it never took off and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a dead project now.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Mustn't one be "on the internet" to use pidgin/email?

i think what he's saying is that he doesn't get on the net to MAKE friends like social networking sites allow you to do. he uses those apps just to communicate to his friends.

Dimitriid
December 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Not really, Ive heard people rave about myspace but whoever made that web design and/or allowed people to create such sites should be charged with crimes against humanity.

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Read some bad things about Facebook here in the forums today.

So I chose option 3, No, but I haven't ruled them out, instead of 4.

Looks like they are going to try to get a "Social Site" going here in Ubuntu.

Now that I think I'd join. :)

LookTJ
December 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Yes, I check MySpace.com sometime.

Crashmaxx
December 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
MySpace is a total piece of garbage that I rarely use anymore. I still have a page and it is decent, so much so that I would show it to others that want to know more about me. But the only people you will meet there are spambots, emos, and jail bait. The site is just so insecure and unmoderated that everything falls apart at the seems and people make the worst pages ever on the web. I like freedom a lot, but in this case, it makes it too easy to add a million silly things to a page with nothing close to a design. Sometime people need some restrictions to maintain order.

FaceBook is so much better. There is a lot more clutter then there was, but its not so overwhelming. And there are a lot of genuine functionality, especially if you are in school. It is a great way to stay connected to all your friends and even to meet some new people. I wish that there were some more restrictions on the apps and layout so there would be less crap to sift through, but otherwise it is a good site. Even with their deals with Microsoft, I still see Linux ads on the site and am free to support Linux groups on their. If that changes, then maybe I will change my mind, but otherwise it is just an ad deal and nothing to worry about. Even Linux.com has Microsoft ads on its page, its just the way advertising works.