PDA

View Full Version : Explain your name

de_valentin
December 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Hi,

After reading this thread, Defend your signature (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=632088)
I thought it might be nice to see what the names of other members mean if they actually do mean something or that is just your own name in 1337-speak. Or why you chose this name.

So to start of:

When I first wanted to get a hotmail-account my first name was allready taken, (quite normal) and the alternatives were something along the line of
valentin2473@hotmail.com So there is someone out there who wants my name as a nick, so he is not the real valentin and I will definitely not stand at the end of the line (I know quite arrogant, but I was young)

And that is how I got to 'de_valentin' meaning 'the_valentin'

apothecaryaaron
December 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty boring:

Apothecary:
a·poth·e·car·y /əˈpɒθəˌkɛri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-poth-uh-ker-ee]
–noun, plural -car·ies. 1. a druggist; a pharmacist.

Aaron:
1. That would be me.

Using apothecary vs RPh or RX was the limit of my creativity for names.

gnomeuser
December 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
When I got my gmail invite my normal nickname Lovechild was taken so I took gnomeuser instead since that embodied my love for the GNOME desktop. I've since decided to drop all this nickname nonsense and instead use my real name everywhere, I just haven't been able to change it in many places. Feel free to call me David.

de_valentin
December 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Will do Dave

~LoKe
December 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Loke is the Norwegian god of mischief. Pretty self explanatory after that.

I've tried to get my name changed to Løke, but haven't gotten an answer.

xyz
December 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Mine's got to be the most boring ever!

When I joined here, no "great and original" idea came to mind...so I simply picked letters...any letters.

~LoKe
December 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Mine's got to be the most boring ever!

When I joined here, no "great and original" idea came to mind...so I simply picked letters...any letters.

Just lie and say it's the band name (based on eX, Yes, Zeppelin).

xyz
December 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Loke is the Norwegian god of mischief. Pretty self explanatory after that.

I've tried to get my name changed to Løke, but haven't gotten an answer.

I think it's impossible to change your name. Not 100% sure but I guess it's a forum rule.

xyz
December 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Just lie and say it's the band name (based on eX, Yes, Zeppelin).

OK then here I go: The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans...and Z was the donor!!

de_valentin
December 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM
OK then here I go: The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans...and Z was the donor!!:lolflag:

renzokuken
December 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM
as a massive fan of Final Fantasy i quickly discovered all the good names were taken on hotmail, so i tried Renzokuken (Squalls Limit Break from FF8 )....i believe it is japanese for "sequential blade" or something like that.....

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
my online nick from way back on Quake 3 on the Dreamcast.

Clickbg
December 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well, my nickname is Click but it`s taken so i add my country code BG. Click comes from the *revolution* of pc games here in Bulgaria(1995-98) i was clicking more than normal so my friends start to call me Shtrak which means Click

rune0077
December 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Pretty simple: my names Rune, I'm born in '77, don't know what the 00 is for, I just put it there never imagining I would one day have to explain it on an internet forum :)

grim192
December 10th, 2007, 01:33 PM
grim is actaully my nickname in real life for about the last 10 years but someone else has that so 192 is just part of my i.p address (i'm a network engineer;))

grim

raptros-v76
December 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I've been using this name for years, and I have used slight variations on it in many places. I dimly remember some video game one of my friends had being involved in creating this name. When i was younger, I used to have this thing about the number 76 (not sure what or why). My real name is Aidan; I don't have any preference on how you refer to me.

herbster
December 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I do believe there's a thread on here asking the same question, but nevertheless, herbster was kind of an inside joke with friends years ago in high school, where there was an extreme nerd named Herb in our science class and we called him the Herbster. It evolved to possess more uses and of course I have loved it since :D

popch
December 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Like any other computer user, I felt the irresistible urge to type the letters p, o, p, c and h when prompted to enter a name. The urge being irresistible I couldn't resist.

bonzodog
December 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I have had this nickname in use since 1988, when I started using it on CB Radio in my local area (Local area? on a Half wave thunderpole with a 3 Watt burner? hrm.....).

It comes from the Name of a band - the Bonzodog Doodah Band, who were a one hit wonder band from the 1970's in the UK. It's interesting to note that some of the original members are still touring though. Their one hit was called 'I'm the Urban Spaceman'.

I took the nick to the net in 1996, when I started on IRC, having long gotten rid of the CB from the house. Out of interest, I googled the nick recently, and a large number of the first few hits are all me, and there is only one other person on the entire Internet using this nick. The other hits were sites about the 1970's band.

So, the nick stuck, and I used it to log into the forums. I have thought about changing it to maybe 'Strontium Dog', the character from the 2000AD magazines. I was a big Judge Dredd fan in my early days.

Kingsley
December 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
My name stems from an ancient British scroll that was lost by German sailors long ago. Anthropologists, archaeologists, and paleontologists have tried to recover any remnants of its meaning, but they've been unsuccessful thus far.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
It evolved to possess more uses and of course I have loved it since :D

lol

Achetar
December 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Mine is the name of a land in a PnP RPG I am devving wit some friends.

Cheers!

Irihapeti
December 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Mine is the Maori form of my middle name. I couldn't use my first name, because it was already taken.

klange
December 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM
No truer statement has been uttered than my name.

Dimitriid
December 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Means hater of all mankind. Ok it does not, but close enough. The name of a character I made who is a sociopath transgender vampire who is also a plastic surgeon as a "day job" who collects human faces and keeps them alive.

Occasionally Correct
December 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I find it to be a modest truth. :p

aimran
December 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
IRL name :|

rune0077
December 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Means hater of all mankind. Ok it does not, but close enough. The name of a character I made who is a sociopath transgender vampire who is also a plastic surgeon as a "day job" who collects human faces and keeps them alive.

Heh! Price goes for coolest explanation so far.

gn2
December 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
the Bonzodog Doodah Band, who were a one hit wonder band from the 1970's in the UK.

You're forgetting about The Intro and the Outro Song and The Canyons of Your Mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmnnZPjrIs

aktiwers
December 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Mine is just fast to type :)

il-luzhin
December 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I used luzhin as a name since I was a young buck in the NES days of Zelda and Chronotrigger. It's a character name from a story from 19th century Russia I read as a kid. The first time I found it was taken as I tried to register an online name I came up with il-luzhin and dug the double entendre.

It's been me ever since.

igknighted
December 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Mine is a play off of my college mascot (the knight). I was bored (and likely drunk, I don't recall... which likely means I was) one night and was trying to think of a new AIM screen name to replace the one I had since 13... and thats what I came up with.

PS - I see people with names very similar to many at ubuntuforums on CS:S, is this coincidence or do we have a lot of CS:S players? If so, what servers do you guys play on?

g2g591
December 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
once upon a time, for an online game (before iming was common) i typed in some random letters and numbers. I stuck with it ever sience

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I needed something I could use that would be unique to me. Most places I go I am the first one to get that name, fortunately. If lostincyberspace is taken or to long I use lostinbrave, now that one has a pretty good story.

xpod
December 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Mine is just fast to type

I try keep my passwords like that funnily enough,while still being decent enough passwords of course......i hope anyway.
The closest i`ve come to intrusion so far has been the viruskiller game in synaptic.Those little nasties always get me in the end :)

I could`nt use the username i originally wanted,xpod was just the resulting sillyness.It implied one thing last summer when it first popped into my head but now it means something entirely different.......:rolleyes:
xp.o.d
x-pod
Go figure:)

gn2
December 11th, 2007, 06:46 AM
xpod was just the resulting sillyness.It implied one thing last summer when it first popped into my head but now it means something entirely different......

I thought it was a reference to this: http://www.wickfordangling.co.uk/fox/x_pod_range.htm

But that's because I'm an angler, we love catching fish us gn2 penguins.
(gn2=gentoo)

-grubby
December 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM
nathangrubb= nathan grubb simple

nikoPSK
December 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM
nikoPSK =

niko = nicholas (but I prefer niko:p)
PS = My middle names, Pal Sebastien
K = My last name, Kruzel.

Quite witty. :lolflag:

Fred_E _krugar
December 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
ummm yall figure it out........Ok he didnt spell it the same but a friends last name is spelled that way.

I use it on all but one forum I frequent.

Yeah I am a big Elm Street fan for the most part.......Remember to never Dream And Drive.

GSF1200S
December 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
GSF1200S is the motorcycle that I ride, and its probably one of my favorite all around machines to date..

stoodleysnow
December 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Well,
I live at 1 Stoodley Close, in the Stoodley area of Todmorden, and I like snow.:) God knows what I'll do if/when I move house!!!
:lolflag:
And the avatar pic is a generic one I found on the net, and is a picture of Stoodley Pike (the monument, which is atop Langfield Common) taken from Heeley Hill near Lumbutts. Type Stoodley Close into Google Maps if you want, zoom in.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
GSF1200S is the motorcycle that I ride, and its probably one of my favorite all around machines to date..

you date machines? -_@

xpod
December 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I thought it was a reference to this: http://www.wickfordangling.co.uk/fox/x_pod_range.htm

But that's because I'm an angler, we love catching fish us gn2 penguins.
(gn2=gentoo)

I`ve been invited to go out boat fishing by friends down Folkstone way at some point so that xpod carry case could possibly come in handy ...for getting me back to shore:)

What about the XPod though....
http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/project/html/id/80/XPod

Everytime your feeling down it plays coldplay to cheer you up:)

GSF1200S
December 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
you date machines? -_@

hehe... my favorite motorcycle to ride up until this date.

Something tells me you knew that... :)

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Tristam Green was a character I created for a comic series a friend of mine was writing in our Senior year of high school. He was the captain of the main character's personal aircraft, The Illuminari and captain of his own vessel, The Oracle. Callsign was "Gemini", and was a sort-of James-Dean-meets-Han-Solo character. He hated silence, and was rarely ever seen without his sunglasses.

I ported him over to take care of all my online business shortly after, and I've been running as Tristam Green ever since.

It really freaks me out sometimes since I created Tristam in another state, and I found out a "Tristan Green" lives in the small town where I now live.

TeraDyne
December 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
TeraDyne is a nickname I chose, seemingly at random, a few years ago. Now that I've been looking at name meanings, the two root names, "Terra" and "Dyne", match me to a point beyond my real name. I'm honestly considering a name change.

Oh, and actual name meanings.

IRL:
Tera = Terra = Earth
Dyne = Dynamic. Is also a measure of energy. <link to dictionary entry> (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/dyne)
TeraDyne = Dynamic Earth Energy

In my fanfic:
Tera = Earth
Dyne = Innocent
TeraDyne = Innocent Earth

popch
December 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
TeraDyne is a nickname I chose, seemingly at random, a few years ago. Now that I've been looking at name meanings, the two root names, "Terra" and "Dyne", match me to a point beyond my real name. I'm honestly considering a name change.

Oh, and actual name meanings.

IRL:
Tera = Terra = Earth
Dyne = Dynamic. Is also a measure of energy. <link to dictionary entry> (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/dyne)
TeraDyne = Dynamic Earth Energy

In my fanfic:
Tera = Earth
Dyne = Innocent
TeraDyne = Innocent Earth

This is strange. I would have thought that 1 TeraDyne = 10exp12 Dyn (which is a force. Not the Force, though.

n3tfury
December 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
hehe... my favorite motorcycle to ride up until this date.

Something tells me you knew that... :)

indeed =D

ZipoTe
December 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Well my name "cipote" is a spanish word has diferent senses:

In one hand we have "cipote" used like: "f*ck!", "damn it!"...

and in the other is also a name to refer to... ***** :lolflag:

I starting using this name while i was playing to soldier of fortune, I used to kill with the knife and someone said: "cipote!!!" :):) so i get the name

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I starting using this name while i was playing to soldier of fortune, I used to kill with the knife and someone said: "cipote!!!" :):) so i get the name

May I just say, I absolutely love your avatar.

TeraDyne
December 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
This is strange. I would have thought that 1 TeraDyne = 10exp12 Dyn (which is a force. Not the Force, though.

Gah, I did it again. I meant force, but I keep saying energy. Dyne keeps reminding me of "Dynamo", which makes me think "energy". It's true, though, that it could mean that, but I use "Tera" as a shortened form of "Terra", so...

Wait... TeraDyne = "Force of the Earth"... That works out quite well. I like it! XD

popch
December 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Gah, I did it again. I meant force, but I keep saying energy. Dyne keeps reminding me of "Dynamo", which makes me think "energy". It's true, though, that it could mean that, but I use "Tera" as a shortened form of "Terra", so...

Wait... TeraDyne = "Force of the Earth"... That works out quite well. I like it! XD

You could also call it a MegaMegaForce.

TeraDyne
December 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
You could also call it a MegaMegaForce.

Battle Sentai... MegaMegaForce! *poses*

Nah, I like "Force of the Earth" better. It sounds like I'm in control of the world. XD

ZipoTe
December 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
May I just say, I absolutely love your avatar.

yeeeah, i like it also :) i was "googling" and i saw it. I felt in love immediatly :mrgreen:

sloggerkhan
December 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I think Genghis Khan is badass, OKAY?
I almost want to live in Mongolia just so he could be the founding father instead of GW.

kyren
December 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
see, im lucky
my real name is kyren so i just put kyren :) hahaha

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Mine comes from the rabbit I have in my avatar, Sunny is a character I have for a series I am writing