PDA

View Full Version : Are you interested: Linux Auto Hardware Installer Daemon Project ?

frenchn00b
December 10th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Linux Auto Hardware Installer Daemon Project
-----
what it is: Auto Hardware Installer Daemon Project is a daemon that makes your life easier, and gives you all in Linux to save your time. Linux is not always meant to be complicated, and can be simple as just plug to install a new element of hardware.

Install:
apt-get install lahid
rpm lahid
and the /etc/init.d/lahid start at boot, let the process run

Context:
- you are for instance playing a movie
- you feel like you need one new hardware for your system,
- go to the mall, buy it,
- back home simply plug
- and continue what you were doing before like nothing happens
X message to display :0.0 => xmessage " Device label X just installed. Click OK"
* the daemon see the new hardware
* control its references : fabricant, idproduct, deviceBus, ...
* go to www.linuxdriver.org / ftp://linuxdriver.org/drivers/model...
* download the driver in the /tmp
* unpack it
* verify the kernel in its /boot/configX
(if necessary propose to recompile (please do not tell me that it is not that difficult and it could be automatic, but we try to avoid recompiling the kernel)
* and start installing the driver / modules (./configure ; make ; make install way) located in the automatic hardware installer of the downloaded package
* and continue what you were doing (just clicking on OK on the display 0.0)
* Driver Installed: You save 20 min of time (and life mb. ;) )

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't want to get Laid.
:lolflag:
Just couldn't resist.

EXCiD3
December 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I wouldnt mind having this. It would be one of those things that were time savers. This is essentially a Linux version of Plug n Pray?

smartboyathome
December 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Is this just an idea, or is it already availabe somewhere?

Tharkun
December 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I would like this.

~LoKe
December 10th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Sounds neat, though I've had no problems thus far. Are you sure it's possible?

tinman6700
December 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
sounds like it could really help a long time Microsloth user get up to speed

khurrum1990
December 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM
It would be excellent if we had it, its gets boring to configure new hardware all the time.

Majorix
December 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't want to have this from someone with 0 posts: I don't want my comp to be ruined by a frenchn00b. My PC is up and running without such a daemon anyways.

el_ricardo
December 12th, 2007, 03:26 AM
i find it painfully obvious that this would be the best project to truely get the general public into using linux, i really hate buying hardware, plugging it in and it taking a week to get working properly, people are so used to the mainstream OS's seeing hardware and automatically configuring it for them that its no wonder people are afraid to try out linux distros

I think that with more and more PC manufacturers having ubuntu (or similar) as an option, eg dell; such a daemon is bound to be included in the kernel in the next 1-2 years anyway. Now is definatly the time for someone to get to work on it!