PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Recommend me a distro!

mthakur2006
December 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hey guys!
I was using Ubuntu for the past 2 years but now I have got some spare time and a spare machine. So far I have tried:

Kubuntu - too complicated.
Xubuntu - Too simple.
Fedora - gnome based, but the 6 cd install puts me off
Suse - too slow
Sabayon - the package manager didn't work for me
PCLOS - the x-server won't come on.
Sam linux - same as above
Mandriva - same as above.
Dreamlinux - the finishing off is a bit iffy.
PCBSD - just no.
windows - too many security problems + too slow.
linux mint - exactly the same as ubuntu (well, almost...)
elive - would like to try it again, but i lost the iso when i reformatted and i am not willing to spend any money again :)
fluxbuntu - didn't like it but i want to like it....

so, please recommend me a distro and give a reason please as well.
Thanks.

rsambuca
December 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Perhaps if you state what you goals are for this distro?

~LoKe
December 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
If you liked Ubuntu, how about Debian?

-grubby
December 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
debian Try it

samwyse
December 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Isn't Fedora installable from the a live cd nowadays like other distros?

crimesaucer
December 9th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I would try either Archlinux or Sidux. (if you like the bleeding edge apps)

PurposeOfReason
December 9th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Archlinux. Pacman is my favourite package manager and you can make it whatever you want.

rsambuca
December 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM
How can all of you people recommend a distro to someone when you don't know what their specific needs are?

LookTJ
December 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I suggest Archlinux because of AUR(user community maintained packages/PKGBUILDS) and pacman, also the latest releases as well. If you like KDE, I recommend trying kdemod on Archlinux, but if gnome, I recommend using the openbox window manager with it.

~LoKe
December 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
How can all of you people recommend a distro to someone when you don't know what their specific needs are?

It fits the criteria that we've established based on what his reasons are for not using the other distros. Until he gives us more, we give him whatever we want to.

Kingsley
December 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM

The distros that he's listed seem pretty broad, so I assume he just wants to try whatever for no particular reason.

Joeb454
December 9th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Try fedora...purely because it has a live cd or dvd nowadays

blithen
December 9th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Until he gives us more, we give him whatever we want to.
:lolflag:
Ontopic: I would try Gentoo, gets you to learn the ins and outs of the linux system better.

Caffeine_Junky
December 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Exactly!! ...
..and the OP says that Kubuntu is to complicated and Xubuntu is to simple. That doesn't leave much to play with...

I assume the OP wants to use Gnome?

crimesaucer
December 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM

After taking a look at the distros the op has used and the reasons the op didn't like them...

I would say that you might like Arch with Gnome (very fast and using easy to use gnome)... but you probably will have it on your list as a "way to complicated install and building process".

I never actually tried debian's lenny or sidux... but if I try a different distro other than Archlinux... those would be my next choices... or just back to good old xubuntu since I really like xfce4 and the Ubuntu Community...

... and I totally disagree about the "too simple" comment for xubuntu. I find you need to know your way around linux more on xfce4 than gnome (for themes, icons, panel...) and the simplicty of apps like thunar and mousepad and the Settings Manager make more sense than nautilus and the gconf editor. The same goes for xfwm4 verse metacity and even compiz.

... and not to mention, if you're trying to use the Desktop Environment of xfce4 with any distro, than it's more about having low resources and a fast, snappy environment. Simplicity is just an added bonus because it "get's out of your way" and lets you work.

malangaman
December 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
if you want rocket speed, Try Puppy Linux.

rsambuca
December 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
:lolflag:
Ontopic: I would try Gentoo, gets you to learn the ins and outs of the linux system better.

Gentoo is out because the OP doesn't like Sabayon's package manager.

blithen
December 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Oh yeah @_@ Opps.
then probably Arch. If I didn't have a 64bit computer I would be using that!

crimesaucer
December 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Oh yeah @_@ Opps.
then probably Arch. If I didn't have a 64bit computer I would be using that!

So is Arch, because if kubuntu and the gui is "too complicated", good luck with the install and all of the config files in nano... as well as getting your xorg.conf and synaptics touchpad working.

...but here is an 8 page "HowTO" with screenshots if you feel up to it: http://www.raiden.net/?cat=&aid=276

LookTJ
December 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
So is Arch, because if kubuntu and the gui is "too complicated", good luck with the install and all of the config files in nano... as well as getting your xorg.conf and synaptics touchpad working.In my opinion, Arch's wiki is very straightforward, so it should be easy to follow through the install. I would use vim rather than nano(just my own taste perhaps)

crimesaucer
December 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
In my opinion, Arch's wiki is very straightforward, so it should be easy to follow through the install.

I agree. The wiki is full of good info... but for the install it almost has too much info and it's easy to get confused with the ftp install, installing from within another distro...etc...

...plus, if you're not familair with all of the config files that you must do by hand, then it's nice to see it in a screenshot guide like the one I posted above.

The link in my post above is pretty damn good, and included some steps that weren't in the Arch wiki (that were needed)... and it made it really easy for me.

Once you get it installed, everything else is handled really good in the wiki.

LookTJ
December 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I agree. The wiki is full of good info... but for the install it almost has too much info and it's easy to get confused with the ftp install, installing from within another distro...etc...

But the link in my post above is pretty damn good and was easy for me.

Once you get it installed, everything else is handled really good in the wiki.
Thanks, I have bookmarked it in my del.icio.us. :D

forrestcupp
December 10th, 2007, 04:52 AM
If Kubuntu is too complicated and you couldn't get PCLinuxOS to work, I don't know what to tell you.

You'd better just stick with Xubuntu if it worked for you.

RAV TUX
December 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM
If Kubuntu is too complicated and you couldn't get PCLinuxOS to work, I don't know what to tell you.

You'd better just stick with Xubuntu if it worked for you.

Xubuntu is awesome, I am using OzOs on a Xubuntu base.

This would be my suggestion for you also.

(see the link in my sig)

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM
You could try Cent Os or just go to distrowatch.com and try the ones in the news like I do.

I also kind of like geubuntu (http://geubuntu.intilinux.com/)

crimesaucer
December 10th, 2007, 05:14 AM

(see the link in my sig)

I loved xubuntu. If I wasn't using Arch with xfce4.4.2... I would be using xubuntu. (or sidux)

sstusick
December 10th, 2007, 05:20 AM
If you haven't tried Ubuntu with Gnome, give it a try.

mthakur2006
December 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
thanks guys for all the responses.
my goals are:
none. except perhaps that a fast and modern distro (puppy is fast but i can't figure out how to safely install it to my hard drive and i want something more modern looking). i just got some free time and i want to try out some distros. i tried arch, but it just hangs when i detects my wireless card and then nothing happens. I tried everything including passing different parameters and burning at a slow speed but it didn't work but never mind.
i have found out zenwalk.
installing it now :D
i will keep you posted :)
mthakur2006.

rsambuca
December 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
thanks guys for all the responses.
my goals are:
none. except perhaps that a fast and modern distro (puppy is fast but i can't figure out how to safely install it to my hard drive and i want something more modern looking). i just got some free time and i want to try out some distros. i tried arch, but it just hangs when i detects my wireless card and then nothing happens. I tried everything including passing different parameters and burning at a slow speed but it didn't work but never mind.
i have found out zenwalk.
installing it now :D
i will keep you posted :)
mthakur2006.

Thanks for wasting all of our time! 27 posts of ideas and you pick one that nobody mentioned. What you will find is that other than the package manager, basically they are all the same. I think your time would be better spent learning the different Desktop Environments and Window Managers.

qazwsx
December 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Debian unstable. Bleeding edge stuff is cool and exciting ;)
If you can handle it is pretty stable.

forrestcupp
December 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM

(see the link in my sig)

So what is OzOs? I went to the link and it is just a small forum that doesn't really explain anything. I don't really want to register for something without knowing what it is. I suggest if you are a part of that project, you should have someone make an informational page about the project that is accessible without logging in.

smartboyathome
December 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
So what is OzOs? I went to the link and it is just a small forum that doesn't really explain anything. I don't really want to register for something without knowing what it is. I suggest if you are a part of that project, you should have someone make an informational page about the project that is accessible without logging in.

OzOS is basically an implimentation of e17 on top of Ubuntu, but with a twist: all the packages are compiled directly from cvs.

erginemr
December 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for wasting all of our time! 27 posts of ideas and you pick one that nobody mentioned. What you will find is that other than the package manager, basically they are all the same. I think your time would be better spent learning the different Desktop Environments and Window Managers.

Well, what would you expect? From ground zero, it was evident that the OP is a "distro-hopper". But in all this fuss, your benevolent (and ironic) approach deserves a praise. Take care yourself.

mthakur2006
December 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
i am marking this thread as solved as i don't want to get abused anymore.

rsambuca
December 10th, 2007, 08:57 PM
i am marking this thread as solved as i don't want to get abused anymore.

LOL!

Just having fun with ya!

Linuxratty
December 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Klikit Linux is very nice. And the forums are very supportive.
http://www.klikit.org/

gn2
December 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
i am marking this thread as solved

You can't do that, at least not until you try Zenwalk.

mthakur2006
December 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
yh well i did but i can't get the internet to work :(
guess i am back to ubuntu for now.

sstusick
December 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
guess i am back to ubuntu for now.

Is that a bad thing? :)

gn2
December 12th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Is that a bad thing? :)

I have a seven year old laptop. There are problems trying to get Xubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 Alpha1 to run on it.
Unless I can get it running OK I will have to find another distro in October next year when updates for 7.04 expire.
Unless I can get a lightweight distro to run on it I will have to buy a new laptop.
Xubuntu 7.10 seems to be quite bloated and very slow.
The challenge is getting a distro that has a text-based installer that will run from a cardbus cd-rom drive.
The laptop has no wired ethernet adapter.....
Tricky :(

mthakur2006
December 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
try:
puppy linux
damn small linux
elbuntu
elive
gos
ozos
delilinux
zenwalk
arch

andrek
December 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Debian unstable [ Sid ]. Especially the netinst version.

Baptiste
December 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
And what about foresight linux?

Joeb454
December 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Vista :p