PDA

View Full Version : make won't find <gtk/gtk.h>

hazel
December 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I use a simple makefile for compiling test programs containing lines like:

gcc program.c -o program `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags --libs`

This worked perfectly well in Red Hat but when I do it in Ubuntu, it says it can't find the included header <gtk/gtk.h>, although pkg-config correctly reports /usr/include/gtk+-2.0 as one of the directories that should be searched for headers. Of course this means that none of my gtk functions is recognised and the compilation aborts with reams of error messages.

The strange thing is that if I copy the offending line and paste it into bash, it works normally. Obviously this is a work-around that can't easily be used with complicated multi-file programs. I have googled but can't find any reports of people having similar problems.

I am using make 3.81beta4.

Auria
December 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
did you install the gtk-dev or whatever it's called package?

Lux Perpetua
December 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Does it work if you set SHELL to bash in your makefile?

Compyx
December 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

should do the trick. This will install the headers needed with all of their dependencies such as the X11 headers.

hazel
December 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Does it work if you set SHELL to bash in your makefile?

Ah, that was what was wrong! SHELL was set to /bin/sh. I changed it to /bin/bash and now everything works. But why didn't it before, given that /bin/sh is only a link to /bin/bash anyway?

geraldm
December 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM
/bin/sh is not "just a link to" /bin/bash
The behavior is different, based on how the executable was called.
More information is in the usual place, see "INVOCATION"

man bash

Gerald

hazel
December 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Yes, I see now. "sh" makes bash run like a Bourne shell and then it doesn't do command substitution. I tried

sh
echo `pkg-config gtk+-2.0`

and nothing came back.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I wouldn't have twigged that on my own.

geirha
December 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
In ubuntu 6.10 and higher, sh is a symlink to dash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Almquist_shell) (used to be bash).

$ readlink /bin/sh
/bin/dash