PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.0 vs Aqua

khurrum1990
December 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Hi, now that KDE 4.0 is coming out, I am assuming everyone has seen what it looks like. Which interface do u like better. I think I like KDE 4.0 better.

fuscia
December 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
i like kde 2.0 better than aqua.

khurrum1990
December 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Leopard's aqua interface isn't that bad.

Incense
December 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
i like kde 2.0 better than aqua.

:lolflag:

I get tired of aqua really fast, and I like KDE3 and 4 much more then aqua.

khurrum1990
December 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
KDE 4.0's interface is awesome though!

fuscia
December 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM
KDE 4.0's interface is awesome though!

it is looking good. it'll be great to see what kind of icon and window dec. themes people come up with for it.

khurrum1990
December 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Yeah I wonder what people could make that beats the default interface though. Anyone knows an easy way to install KDE 4.0 on Kubuntu other then the way mentioned on Kubuntu.com cause their way looks tough.

fuscia
December 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah I wonder what people could make that beats the default interface though. Anyone knows an easy way to install KDE 4.0 on Kubuntu other then the way mentioned on Kubuntu.com cause their way looks tough.

there's a live version floating around somewhere.

edit: i think this is the one i used - http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/

khurrum1990
December 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I tried the OpenSuse live version, but I want to install it.

-grubby
December 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM
there's a live version floating around somewhere.

yah I think it uses opensuse?

Incense
December 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I tried the OpenSuse live version, but I want to install it.

If you are already on openSUSE, you can use the one click install from build service to get it up and running.

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4

EDIT: BTW, the Kubuntu live CD can be found at this page http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc1.php

hanzomon4
December 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Lord no, Aqua beats the hell out of kde4...

undine
December 10th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Oxygen by a mile. Aqua is horrid.

D-EJ915
December 10th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Aqua is an abomination, why all the buttons are on the left side is beyond me, I don't know what application has the scroll bar on the left aside from terminal emulators.

zenwhen
December 10th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Lord no, Aqua beats the hell out of kde4...

Agreed.

fuscia
December 10th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Aqua is an abomination, why all the buttons are on the left side is beyond me, I don't know what application has the scroll bar on the left aside from terminal emulators.

jobs is left-handed. (i'd do it, if i were he.)

aimran
December 10th, 2007, 04:22 AM

at the expense of the other 90% of the right handers T_T

D-EJ915
December 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
you know I'd never thought of that, but now that you mention it, they just flipped the buttons of the windows layout.

fuscia
December 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM
at the expense of the other 90% of the right handers T_T

they only wanted 7% of the market (they've almost reached their goal).

SomeGuyDude
December 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
KDE4 looks amazing, and this is from a generally anti-KDE guy. Once it shows up as an easy-to-install dealie for Kubuntu I'm going that route.

Heck, I'm thinking of putting Kubuntu on my machine now just in preparation.

Quillz
December 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
You've obviously never used a Mac. Since the very first Macintosh in 1984, the window widgets have always been on the left. Why? I don't know, that's just how it's been. Also, the scroll bars are on the right... NeXTstep is the only OS I know of that had the scroll bars on the left.

Oh, and I think Aqua is better.

Quillz
December 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
you know I'd never thought of that, but now that you mention it, they just flipped the buttons of the windows layout.
Nope, Windows came after the Macintosh. Windows flipped the interface around.

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
The buttons on the left side r un easy to use but they look good, and thanks for the download page of kde 4 kubuntu.

Fonon
December 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM
personally, I think that Aqua looks better than KDE 4, but it does look good. Is there a GNOME theme like it?

undine
December 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
personally, I think that Aqua looks better than KDE 4, but it does look good. Is there a GNOME theme like it?

Yes.

GTK + Metacity (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/yet+another+OXYGEN+style+for+Gnome?content=64748)
Icons (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/gtk-oxygen-theme+%22icons%2Cwallp.%2Ctheme%22?content=63893)

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Anyone knows the Kubuntu dependencies for the Baghira theme for KDE?

stimpack
December 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Aqua looks nice but is limited. In KDE I can add buttons to my titlebar like the 'pin window on top'. I don't see this in OSX, and if there was a way, the aesthetic traffic light buttons would suddenly become out of place.

3rdalbum
December 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
When you say "Aqua", do you mean "Aqua" or do you mean "Titanium" or do you mean "Brushed Metal"? Because Apple can't make up its mind about which interface theme it actually wants.

I like Oxygen, because at least it's unified.

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
When you say "Aqua", do you mean "Aqua" or do you mean "Titanium" or do you mean "Brushed Metal"? Because Apple can't make up its mind about which interface theme it actually wants.

Yeah I have noticed that to, every release something is a bit different. I meant Aqua Leopard though.

D-EJ915
December 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
You've obviously never used a Mac. Since the very first Macintosh in 1984, the window widgets have always been on the left. Why? I don't know, that's just how it's been. Also, the scroll bars are on the right... NeXTstep is the only OS I know of that had the scroll bars on the left.

Oh, and I think Aqua is better.
what are you talking about? Don't assume stupid things, the first computers I used were Macs. The arrangement of the buttons in Mac OS has never been anything like what it is in windows and only the close button has been on the left side, it used to just have maximize on the right then they added shade.

Quillz
December 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM

10.3 had the "brushed metal" look, 10.5 has the new "unified plastic" look.

Laterix
December 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
No contest! Aqua is way better looking that KDE4 or any other KDE version. KDE just doesn't get it right... it's all about details.

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Aqua is awesome, but kde 4 is milk white and I like that better. Its brighter, Aqua get dull after a while.