PDA

View Full Version : Where are you, where have you travelled and where would you like to go?

herbster
December 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I live near Toronto in Canada and have been to New York, California, Chicago and England (London and Redding). I haven't travelled too much but I am planning on some big trips in the next few years; I would love to go around the world of course but probably most of all Italy, Spain, South Africa and the Himalayas.

p_quarles
December 9th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I grew up in Seattle, and currently live in Chicago. Places I've been: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Kansas City (U.S.). In other countries: Vancouver (Canada), Tijuana (Mexico), Paris and Strasbourg (France), Frankfurt (Germany), and Copenhagen (Denmark).

The top places I'd like to go are (in order of distance): New York, Toronto, London, Vienna, Prague, and Tokyo. I like big cities.

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 05:58 AM
grew up in the NW and have been to too many places in the US to list, but have lived in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and now New York. overseas, i've been to England, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, and Spain.

Want to go to France, Italy, Japan, Australia, Russia, and Egypt just to name a few.

sports fan Matt
December 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Grew up in the Chicago northwestern Suburbs, then moved to the Dallas area and Austin for school and now living a pea whisker away from Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Been to FL, WI, MI, MN, ND, ID, WA, OK, TX, MO, IN, OH..

Would love to: visit ireland, england, prague, rome, paris, and others I cant think of right now...

BTW: Not a cubs fan, but they look better then my White sox this year

Kingsley
December 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I was born and raised in metro-Atlanta, Georgia. The U.S. places I've visited are Tennessee, Alabama, Virgina, North Carolina, Florida, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. The only other country I've been to is Nigeria.

Someday, I'll visit Germany, England, Canada, France, and Nigeria again.

cyclefiend2000
December 9th, 2007, 06:22 AM
i was born and currently live in the upstate of south carolina. my travels have mainly been confined to the southeast of the US. i have been to italy. i desperately would love to go back, and possibly move there at some point. other than that, there are many places in europe i would love to visit, particularly spain and belgium.

nalmeth
December 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Born in Canada

Spent 3 years in Germany when my Dad was transfered there. In those 3 years I traveled around much of Europe with my family, excluding Russia, Greece and Spain & Portugal.
Playing hockey in Germany required a lot of travel. I played a large tournament in Poland, and our team (mostly German, but many internationals) got schooled by teams from Russia, and some of the poorer countries in the area.

Been all over Canada except the remote north
Been to Boston, Houston, Fort Lauderdale and New York in the US, and vacationed in Mexico.

I would like to see:
Antarctica
the remote Canadian North (namely Yukon),
the Amazon,
the Himalayas,
and after that I would have to re-evaluate :)

I am not a prolific traveler, but I have seen some special places and I am thankful I have had the opportunity to see what I have seen.

Lostincyberspace
December 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Born in California grew up in Washington state, Except for 1 year in oregon, and till about 3 years ago when we moved to utah for my dad to go back to school. But i have been to Pittsburg and Ceder Point, Ohio, Nevada, Arizona, Montana, Colarado, Wyoming, New Mexico. and some more.

GSF1200S
December 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Born in Wisconsin. Drove in an RV through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and settled in California. Took an Amtrak to Florida, which sent me through Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
I joined the Navy and got stationed in California. I took a road trip going to Nevada and Utah, as well as Arizona again. I went on cruise and saw: Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, and Hawaii. Next cruise im supposed to go to the U.A.E and Australia. Im getting the itch to see Europe though!

GSF1200S
December 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM
i was born and currently live in the upstate of south carolina. my travels have mainly been confined to the southeast of the US. i have been to italy. i desperately would love to go back, and possibly move there at some point. other than that, there are many places in europe i would love to visit, particularly spain and belgium.

I would LOVE to see Italy!

Velcor
December 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Right now I'm in Maryland.

Where have I been? Off the top of my head.

The Azores, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Germany, United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Angola, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe (lived here), Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Kenya, Ethiopia (Lived here, too), India, and a few various states.

Where would I like to go? No where at this moment.

*grin*
December 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Looks like I'm first in from the other side of the pond - glad so many of you would like to visit!

I'm in England, in the Westcountry (Bristol now but used to be Dartmoor, which is a stunning national park). I was born in and grew up in London.

My family are Scottish - so I've been there and to some of the islands (e.g. Skye).

I have also visited Wales, Ireland (Eire) and the Isle of Man (tiny island off the coast of Engand where I have some family). It is the least known of the 6 Celtic nations.

I've been to a few European places like France, Spain, Switzerland and Crete, as well as Egypt (Africa).

I'd love to visit Canada and I have good friends in Australia, but not managed either yet...

GSF1200S
December 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Looks like I'm first in from the other side of the pond - glad so many of you would like to visit!

I'm in England, in the Westcountry (Bristol now but used to be Dartmoor, which is a stunning national park). I was born in and grew up in London.

My family are Scottish - so I've been there and to some of the islands (e.g. Skye).

I have also visited Wales, Ireland (Eire) and the Isle of Man (tiny island off the coast of Engand where I have some family). It is the least known of the 6 Celtic nations.

I've been to a few European places like France, Spain, Switzerland and Crete, as well as Egypt (Africa).

I'd love to visit Canada and I have good friends in Australia, but not managed either yet...

Cool.. Id like to see England too (I am half english after all), but I imagine you folks dont take too kindly to Americans there.. Aussies dont seem to mind us much..

gn2
December 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Live on the NE Coast of Scotland.

Have travelled to: Belize, Honduras, Mexico, Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Austria, Monaco, Germany, Italy Northern Ireland, Wales and England.

Mostly on motorbikes.

Here's a place I recommend visiting: http://tinyurl.com/2qujqe

xpod
December 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I come from the North East Of Scotland myself of course but have lived down in London for the last 8 years
I`d love to travel ....back to the North East Of Scotland.:lolflag:

Been all over the UK of course but Holland & France are as far as i`ve been outside the UK.

gn2
December 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
have lived down in London for the last 8 years
I`d love to travel ....back to the North East Of Scotland..

You must be due out soon, your sentence must be served surely?

popch
December 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I live in Switzerland and have been to Germany, France, Italy, Russia, England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Jersey with short calls on the Netherlands and Belgium (just to change trains or planes).

Edit: I just remembered that I have been to Spain, too. Short stay for an international conference, but been there nonetheless.

juice_fi
December 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I live in Finland and besides traveling all over my homeland I've been to Sweden (Stockholm, Karlstad) and Norway (Oslo). I'd like to go to England and Canada, and maybe Italy in wintertime.

bonzodog
December 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I was Born in Leicester, UK. Spent most of my childhood there, lived in Birmingham for a while

Have travelled to France, Austria (via France, germany, luxembourg), and as a truck driver I have been all over the UK -- i often spent holidays down in Cornwall.

I also spent 3 weeks in Laguna Beach, Orange County, California. It was nice, but it wasn't me.

In 2001, I took a camper up the west coast of of Scotland, going all the way out to the Isle of Lewis, then doubled back a bit, and Hopped across the pond to Northern Ireland.
I then spent a good while travelling around, sold the camper, and spent a year here, and hitch-hiked down the west coast as far as Cork, then I went back to England for a bit. I came back to Ireland permanently in 2004, and have since seen most of the country.

I would love to go to Canada, and see Vancouver, and most of BC.

I also Would like to see Japan, and some of the far east.

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
i don't think i've seen a single Euro wanting to visit the US. lol, i don't blame you.

hartl_vienna
December 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm living in Vienna, Austria.

I've travelled to Italy, German, Hungaria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Nederlands, Danmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, Slovenija, Slovakia, Croatia, Serbia, Albania, Fyrom, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Jordania, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, USA, Singapore, Indonesia.

engla
December 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I'm from Lund, and I've visited my home countries Sweden and Norway a lot. I've been to a few places really far away; Antigua and Lago Atitlan, Guatemala, really nice and Hong Kong was really cool. And I've been to Reston, VA, USA :)

Right now I live in Germany and I find it really interesting to live in a new country. I'm just staying for a year I guess (studying), but you really learn a lot (even if it's not so far from home).

tact
December 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Places i have lived/worked:
Born and bred in Brisbane, Australia.
Lived in Canberra, Australia for 10yrs.
Then a year+ living and working in Antarctica.
For the past 9yrs living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

In my travels i have also been to:
Beirut, Lebanon
Dubai, UAE
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Several cities in India
Singapore
Bangkok, and several other places in Thailand
Brunei
Macau
Beijing and Shenzhen, China
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam
Jakarta, Indonesia

xpod
December 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I`m a lifer now it seems........all i get are home leaves now & again.:)

mdsmedia
December 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I was born in Sale, Victoria, Australia, lived in Melbourne since I was 9, travelled to the US in 2005...spent 4 nights in Atlanta GA before 2 1/2 weeks outside Dallas TX, then drove up to Holland, Michigan overnight and spent a week there. Crossed the Mississippi in St Louis right on midnight.

The month in the US was wonderful, and hardly saw any of the big cities, so I'm not yet tainted but I want to see NYC. My dream is to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in the States... a white Christmas :)

I've spent 3 weeks in Thailand and 2 weeks cruising Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

Before that, 3 weeks in NZ was my first overseas trip.

kellemes
December 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Dutch parents, born in Sydney-Australia 39 years ago, parents went back to Holland when I was 3 years old.
Lived allover the country but the last 28 years in Amsterdam.
For about 1 year I worked/lived in Budapest-Hungary.
I travelled to most countries in Europe but I often visit Germany a couple of times a year.
I'd like to move from Amsterdam to the countryside, just became parent myself and would like to see my son grow-up outside the city.
As a traveller I'd very much like to visit Peru or Chile or some other place in South-America. And obviously Australia would be nice to visit some time. (never been there since our move to Holland)

rowanparker
December 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
i don't think i've seen a single Euro wanting to visit the US. lol, i don't blame you.
Well, you might be wrong there.

I've always lived in England (only 16, can't expect much) and I've never been to Scotland or Ireland (yet :)).

I have been to: Wales, France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and I think that's about it.

I am going to Thailand to Thursday (my father moved over there, it'll be a first for me, gotta fly by myself :() for two weeks so that's my first 'out-of-the-continent' trip. I would however like to visit the States and Canada at some point in my life.

aninaiian
December 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Living on Guam for all 19 years of my life

Been to:

Saipan and Rota of the Northern Mariana Islands
Honolulu, Hilo, and Kona, Hawaii
Sydney and Cairns, Australia (Cairns was only the airport but it was a long 6 hour wait there on the way to Sydney and a very long 14+ hour wait there on the way back to Guam)
Japan (okay, so I was only at the airport in Nagoya, but it counts for something)
Toronto, Canada
Detroit, Michigan
New York, New York
California (LA and Orange County)
Phoenix, Arizona
Las Vegas, Nevada

I'm not too sure where I'd like to go to, but I sure haven't been to too many countries, only four really as most of the places I listed are a part of the US or highly tied to the US.

Midwest-Linux
December 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Live in the Midwest USA, been to Canada three times.

Been through or visited, ME,NH,VT,RI,MA,CT,NY,NJ, PA,OH,MI,IN,KY,TN,NC, DE, MD,WVA,GA,FL and AZ.

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well, you might be wrong there.

I've always lived in England (only 16, can't expect much) and I've never been to Scotland or Ireland (yet :)).

I have been to: Wales, France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and I think that's about it.

I am going to Thailand to Thursday (my father moved over there, it'll be a first for me, gotta fly by myself :() for two weeks so that's my first 'out-of-the-continent' trip. I would however like to visit the States and Canada at some point in my life.

i meant in this thread. overall though, most Euros have no intentions of coming to the states.

daynah
December 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm from Metro Atlanta. I've only been to Tennessee, Florida, North Carolina and Arkansas. Only one of those states was for a vacation.

I want to go to England and I am hoping to do my Masters there.

rowanparker
December 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM
i meant in this thread. overall though, most Euros have no intentions of coming to the states.
I know what you meant.
Just wanted to make you wrong :D

I wouldn't mind visiting the states, it does look a fair interesting place.

dhobbs
December 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have lived in Utah, Wyoming, Italy, and now Boston, Massachusetts.

GSF1200S
December 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I was born in Sale, Victoria, Australia, lived in Melbourne since I was 9, travelled to the US in 2005...spent 4 nights in Atlanta GA before 2 1/2 weeks outside Dallas TX, then drove up to Holland, Michigan overnight and spent a week there. Crossed the Mississippi in St Louis right on midnight.

The month in the US was wonderful, and hardly saw any of the big cities, so I'm not yet tainted but I want to see NYC. My dream is to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in the States... a white Christmas :)

I've spent 3 weeks in Thailand and 2 weeks cruising Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

Before that, 3 weeks in NZ was my first overseas trip.

Ahh... NZ huh? I ride bikes, so New Zealand is supposedly biker paradise...

GSF1200S
December 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM

I think thats as a result of conflicting philosophy.. The States are pretty varied and beautiful, but they are full of Americans, and thats what everyone has a problem with.

Tmi
December 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I think thats as a result of conflicting philosophy.. The States are pretty varied and beautiful, but they are full of Americans, and thats what everyone has a problem with.

I think it's rather because the US isn't all too different from Europe. And the cool stuff there we get to see on the telly every day anyway :)

I'm from Sweden (noone seems to want to come here either, haha), and have traveled to finland, norway, denmark, germany, france, italy, austria and switzerland.

I'd really like to see South Africa and Japan, so I guess they are on the top of the list. I'd also like to visit London (which I intend to do sometime when I get some time off).

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM

you're absolutely correct. it's no secret most of the world don't like most Americans. can't say i blame them.

*grin*
December 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Cool.. Id like to see England too (I am half english after all), but I imagine you folks dont take too kindly to Americans there.. Aussies dont seem to mind us much..

I try to take people at face value. Sure, I've met a pile of irritating Americans, but also a bundle of really cool ones - there are loads on UF! As long as I am treated with respect, I shall extend the same courtesy to anyone I meet.

Besides, the English accent isn't so popular in many places now, so anyone who's had a lifetime of yank-bashing might develop some empathy!

I hope you get the chance to visit - it's a small island but there is a lot to see, and much that is worth seeing (like really old stuff for instance!).

gn2
December 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM

We're absolutely over-run with Americana here as it is, so there's no need to come to the USA.

I do like some Americans I've met and there are some excellent musicians there, but there are things about the USA that I find utterly abhorrent and I will never pay money to go there.

Probably wouldn't let me in anyway as I have a conviction for speeding! :D

dashnak
December 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I've been in Portugal, Spain, France, England, Scotland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania.
I'm Mexican, and inside my country I've been to the following states: Baja California, Guerrero, Nuevo Leon, Veracruz, Guanajuato, Chiapas, Yucatan (Lived there my first 3 years), Mexico City (Lived there for the next 15 years) and Quintana Roo (Been here in Cancun for the last 6 years, hope to get the hell out of here sometime the next year and find somewhere else to live with my girlfriend.)
I also would like to visit Japan (There's a chance that we both get a scolarship there, but we have to apply first, duh), Scandinavia, and the Middle East.

fatality_uk
December 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Lived/Worked in St. Paul, Minnesota, Basel Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France, Holland and Poland. I think I need one of those trunks you see in 1930's movies with stickers all over it.

RedMist
December 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm from Ireland and have travelled to England, Wales, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, USA and Japan.

Would love to go to Canada. Possibly moving there for a year next summer if all goes to plan.:guitar:

Bruce M.
December 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM

I come from the North East Of Scotland myself of course but have lived down in London for the last 8 years
I`d love to travel ....back to the North East Of Scotland. :lolflag:

I`m a lifer now it seems........all i get are home leaves now & again.:)

Very humourous conversation you two are having. :)

I'd love to visit Scotland, my roots are there but I missed my chance when I lived in Germany for 4 years {sigh}

Bruce M.
December 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Would love to go to Canada. Possibly moving there for a year next summer if all goes to plan.:guitar:

Lets see, Ubuntu's weather Panal App tells me:
on Sun 9 Dec, 2007 at 21:30 GMT:

Victoria, British Columbia = 2°C
Winnipeg, Manitoba = -14°C
Elliot Lake, Ontario = -4°C
London, Ontario = -2°C
Montreal, Quebec = -10°C
Halifax, Nova Scotia = -9°C

Yesterday Winnipeg was -22°C ... COLD!!!!!!

Maybe in the summer huh? :lolflag:

Bruce M.
December 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I presently live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Now as to where I've been.... go get a coffee:

Canada - from coast to coast, from Halifax in the east to Victoria in the west by car. The norther tip of Ellesmere Island, a place called Alert (http://www.athropolis.com/map2.htm). Most northerly year round populated place on the planet. Missed visiting Newfoundland ( been to Goose Bay, Labrador though ) and Prince Edward Island.

Europe - Lived in Germany for four years, visited: France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Andorra and Spain.

Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay

That's the short list, not naming places in each :)

But since I mentioned Alert in Canada, I should mention that I have been to Ushauia on the southern tip of Argentina too.

Mazza558
December 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Another UKer here, but I've been to most of western Europe - Wales, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland (best. mountains. ever! (especially in the Bernese Oberland), Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Italy, and Spain. I'd like to go to Norway, Canada, and New Zealand.

sajro
December 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I live in Tennessee. I've been to Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Wyoming, New Mexico, Ohio, and Colorado. I would love to go to Germany, England, Russia, and a few Scandinavian countries. I want to live in Canada.

gn2
December 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Very humourous conversation you two are having. :)

I'd love to visit Scotland, my roots are there but I missed my chance when I lived in Germany for 4 years {sigh}

There are quite a few people with Scottish ancestry in Argentina and all over the world, we get everywhere.

Xpod and me have had a bit of banter on here, I like to tease him a bit about being in London, it's all good humoured naturally.

Erdaron
December 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I grew up in St. Petersburg, Russia. Then my family moved to Orlando, FL, and now I'm in Tucson, AZ. I also lived in Nashville, TN for a summer, attending Vanderbilt university.

I mostly can't stand Arizona and Florida, but they are gorgeous places to visit. The Sonoran desert is quite beautiful, but the climate is killing me. I'm a northerner, through and through.

I've been all over the US, a lot by car - I've driven from Florida Keys to Canada, and from Atlantic coast to Pacific coast. Some of my favorite places - New York City, Chicago, Seattle, and small-town New England (up state NY, Vermont).

Also been around Europe, also a lot by car and train. I love Paris, London, and Scotland (I spent a week in Edinburgh - a fantastic place). Been to Luxembourg for lunch, all over Germany, France, northern Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, and Austria.

I really want to visit Ireland, Spain, and Istanbul. Then it gets more vague. I want to visit South-East Asia, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, Chile, Venezuela...

I need to be on the road!

SeanHodges
December 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm live just outside London. I've been to France, Gran Canaria, Germany, Rome, Florida, Boston, New York, California (travelling), Las Vegas, Jersey, Ireland and Scotland.

I love it in the States, generally most people I meet are very welcoming and there's a lot to see and do (I'm sure this is only because I don't live there ;)). Although I do get frustrated though when an American tells me "Yeah, I been to England, I was in London for a few days before I flew to France"... That's not visiting! That's waiting for a connecting flight! I gotta say Boston does some of the best beer!

I would definitely like to visit USA again soon (probably another visit to Florida), and also Egypt. I like visiting hot places :)

Erdaron
December 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I gotta say Boston does some of the best beer!

If you like beer, you should visit the Pacific Northwest - Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Many, many excellent microbrews.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM
If you like beer, you should visit the Pacific Northwest - Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Many, many excellent microbrews.

definitely. i love micros and the NW has some of the better beers in the country.

tact
December 10th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Places i have lived/worked:
Born and bred in Brisbane, Australia.
Lived in Canberra, Australia for 10yrs.
Then a year+ living and working in Antarctica.
For the past 9yrs living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

In my travels i have also been to:
Beirut, Lebanon
Dubai, UAE
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Several cities in India
Singapore
Bangkok, and several other places in Thailand
Brunei
Macau
Beijing and Shenzhen, China
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam
Jakarta, Indonesia

Oops... ya. Add to the list above:
USA (LA and Vegas)
New Zealand (Auckland and some small towns)
Vanuatu (Port Vila, Ambae)

How could I forget Vanuatu (...by implication - totally understandable forgetting USA and NZ). hehehe

Best place I have lived - Antarctica
Worst place ever visited - LA

Where I want to visit - Europe (except UK) and Canada.

herbster
December 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Best place I have lived - Antarctica

Holy smokes, can you describe that a bit bud? That must have been something [cold] hehe.

Where I want to visit - Europe (except UK) and Canada.

Come to Canada, we are friendly people :D Just be sure to bring your coat at this time of year ;)

EmilyRose
December 10th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I grew up in northeastern OH, went to college in SE OH... have traveled all over the US... While in college I spent one quarter (9 wks) in the Bahamas where I met my husband :D, teh following winter we went to Peru together for 6 weeks for another quarter's worth of credits... I spent a month that summer in Canada finishing up my degrees, and then went to Spain, and lived there for the year.

I love Spain. I would love to live there again some day. The people, the culture, its just a different world. A different way of looking at things, of being. I meant to go back and take my then-boyfriend with me... but instead I got pregnant and so we ended up moving back to OH and are curently living with my dad. Its OK, but its not spain... someday I'll go back, and with luck someday I'll go back to stay :D

inversekinetix
December 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Been to:

France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Greece, Scotland

Lived in:

UK, Canada, Japan

Want to go to:

Cuba, Taiwan, New Zealand, Tibet, Brazil.

tact
December 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM
[re: Antarctica]...Holy smokes, can you describe that a bit bud? That must have been something [cold] hehe.

Come to Canada, we are friendly people :D Just be sure to bring your coat at this time of year ;)

Sorry I just cannot describe my year+ in Antarctica "a bit". If I even began I would start to write "a bit" and end up writing pages on pages.

*chuckle* It was awesome. Savage, wild, cold, and at times lonely - but astonishingly beauiful. Without a doubt the best year of my life. :)

Antarctica is on record as the "Coldest, Highest, Dryest, and Windiest" continent

It was cold but I think you Canadians get it colder at times right? I thing the coldest (still air) temp we had when I was there was about -36C

It was also windy too, the strongest blizzard the year I was there had winds up to something like 165km/h (I will check my yearbook later tonight). But you get blizzards like that in Canada too - Right?

Thats why I am keen to see the northern parts of Canada so much. :)

In summer we 24hr sun and worked and played hard. Recreation stuff included taking the boats out to cruise the icebergs, spot whales, etc. Going ice climbing, crevassing, etc.

In winter we could still go iceberg "cruising" but we did it on skidoos and quad bikes, driving several kilometres out to sea right up to the icebergs. On my birthday we found a huge berg that had done at least one roll in its life and so there were caves/caverns inside the iceberg exposed. (They were once upon a time below the waterline and the caverns and tunnels carved by ocean currents in years past).

I have video and pictures of myself going inside the heart of that iceberg and exploring some of the caverns and chambers. The shades of the most delicate blues inside that crystal "cathedral" were breathtaking. :)

Oops... better stop!

SupaSonic
December 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well now I want to go there too. :) How'd you do it - I mean, was it related to your work or did you just wake up one day and thought - "Damn it's hot in here. I better move some place cooler."? :)

PartisanEntity
December 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have been to France, Germany, UK, USA, Spain, Lebanon, Syria, Slovak Republic, Hungary, Canary Islands (Spain).

I would like to visit Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Egypt, Cuba, Argentina among others.

subs
December 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I was born in Kolkata, India....

have lived in NewYork, USA for a few years....

travelled to Japan, UK, France, Greece

now live in Mumbai, India

Clickbg
December 10th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Born in:

Bulgaria/Sofia (that is in Europe)

Been to:

Greece, Romania, Turkey, UK, France, Germany

Want to visit:

USA, Russia, Netherlands

Want to live in:

Netherlands

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
There are quite a few people with Scottish ancestry in Argentina and all over the world, we get everywhere.

Xpod and me have had a bit of banter on here, I like to tease him a bit about being in London, it's all good humoured naturally.

Of course it is, and probably will stay that way too. Unless the ghost of William Wallace finds out. Then you'll see a rescue! :lolflag:

tact
December 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Well now I want to go there too. :) How'd you do it - I mean, was it related to your work or did you just wake up one day and thought - "Damn it's hot in here. I better move some place cooler."? :)

My year on the antarctic ice??? Yer maybe it was some subconscious urge to live somewhere cooler... Growing up in sub-tropical Brisbane, then moving south to Canberra for 10yrs, then further south to Tasmania... then as south as south gets - Antarctica. hehehe.

Actually it was work. I saw the opportunity about 7yrs prior to actually going. Thought of it as a dream adventure. For 7yrs it was just wrong timing. Then one year, after a divorce, all my businesses wound up and time on my hands... I thought "Hey nows the time!"

So I did it. :)

herbster
December 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
tact, that is incredible, truly something I wish to do as well. I'm curious how Antarctica is operated, in terms of towns/villages or even research camps/bases. Is it possible to just rent a place there for a period of time?

And are you just fearless or did any of the exploring of the icebergs/crevasses scare ya a bit?

And no, we don't get no 165km/h winds here!! The -36C does happen time to time in the winter though :D

RedMist
December 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Lets see, Ubuntu's weather Panal App tells me:
on Sun 9 Dec, 2007 at 21:30 GMT:

Victoria, British Columbia = 2°C
Winnipeg, Manitoba = -14°C
Elliot Lake, Ontario = -4°C
London, Ontario = -2°C
Montreal, Quebec = -10°C
Halifax, Nova Scotia = -9°C

Yesterday Winnipeg was -22°C ... COLD!!!!!!

Maybe in the summer huh? :lolflag:

Where I come from thats a hot summers day:lolflag:

subs
December 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
thats amazing!!!

i cant even imagine it being that cold!!!

in my city.... the coldest it ever gets is probably 20°C

RedMist
December 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM
thats amazing!!!

To be fair I was exaggerating a little:) Temperature here today was around 6°C and will prob drop to -3°C during the night but it is winter after all. Summer temps is usually up to 30°C on a very good day but we haven't had many of those of late.

nalmeth
December 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
tact, your time down in Antarctica sounds amazing. Canada doesn't commonly get 145 km/h winds, but course its large country. In the far north its probably similar to the far south of the globe.
Where I live in Canada, we get warm Chinooks as the wind is dried and warmed once its over the mountains. It can be quite a relief.

Tell more about the Antarctic, what kind of people did you meet down there? Internationals? Locals?

What kind of food did you eat? Did you work down there? If so what kind of work? etc, etc

billgoldberg
December 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Well, i'm bored so why not?

I'm from belgium (flanders/bruges).

I've been to (on holidays only) to the netherlands, france, spain, gran canaria, UK, Swiss, Austria , and Germany.

I would still like to visit Italy, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Scotland.

In the past I wanted to go to the states sometime for a couple of weeks, but their ridiculous strict immegration rules and their insisting to now every detail about every aspect off all european vistitors putted me off and I swore never to set foot there.

:lolflag:

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Let me guess: Eire, Ireland. North Ireland I'd say. Am I close?

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
thats amazing!!!

Coldest! 20° WoW! What's hot for you?

RedMist
December 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Let me guess: Eire, Ireland. North Ireland I'd say. Am I close?

Nope....Other direction....Im from the South.

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Nope....Other direction....Im from the South.

Oh well, I goofed. It is Ireland though isn't it?

RedMist
December 11th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Oh well, I goofed. It is Ireland though isn't it?

Sure is. "Ireland" is the English language version of "Eire".

eljoeb
December 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Born in Cuba (I'm a bit older than the average user here), fled to the US, now living in Indiana. I've been to Mexico, Venezuela, the Netherlands, Canada (what American hasn't?), Spain, and Japan. Most were business trips but I still got to have some fun.

I want to go anywhere warm! I would settle for Las Vegas right now, though. If there is an outside chance the place gets snow, I want nothing to do with it:) I guess I was thinking Vietnam or Egypt.

stinger30au
December 11th, 2007, 01:11 AM
My name is Johnny and,

I was toting my pack along the long dusty Winnemucca road
When along came a semi with a high canvas covered load
If your goin' to Winnemucca, Mack with me you can ride
And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand
And I said, "Listen! I've traveled every road in this here land!"

I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to:
Reno
Chicago
Fargo
Minnesota
Buffalo
Toronto
Winslow
Sarasota
Wichita
Tulsa
Ottawa
Oklahoma
Tampa
Panama
Mattawa
LaPaloma
Bangor
Baltimore
Salvador
Amarillo
Tocapillo
Barranquilla
And Padilla

I'm a Killer
I've been everywhere

I've been to:
Boston
Charleston
Dayton
Louisiana
Washington
Houston
Kingston
Texarkana
Monterey
Ferriday
Santa Fe
Tallapoosa
Glen Rock
Black Rock
Little Rock
Oskaloosa
Tennessee
Tinnesay
Chicopee
Spirit Lake
Grand Lake
Devil's Lake
Crater Lake

For Pete's Sake
I've been everywhere

I've been to:
Louisville
Nashville
Knoxville
Ombabika
Schefferville
Jacksonville
Waterville
Costa Rica
Pittsfield
Springfield
Bakersfield
Shreveport
Hackensack
Cadillac
Fond du Lac
Davenport
Idaho
Jellico
Argentina
Diamantina
Pasadena
Catalina

See What I Mean
I've been everywhere

I've been to:
Pittsburgh
Parkersburg
Gravelbourg
Colorado
Ellensburg
Rexburg
Vicksburg
Eldorado
Larimore
Atmore
Haverstraw
Chatanika
Chaska
Nebraska
Alaska
Opelika
Baraboo
Waterloo
Kalamazoo
Kansas City
Sioux City
Cedar City
Dodge City

What A Pity
I've been everywhere

I've been everywhere

Iceni
December 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I grew up in a small place in Norway, then I moved to a city, still small compared to real cities. I've been to:

Sweden many times
Denmark a few times
Holland 2-3 times
Germany twice I think
Spain once
Portugal once
Greece 3 times
Italy once
Canada once
England once
Switzerland once
Turkey once

US:
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Las Vegas
Memphis
Atlanta
New York
Amarillo
Daytona
Don't remember everywhere but me and a few friends drove from LA to NY.

I want to go here:
NY again
Italy again
Zimbabwe
South Korea
Aya Napa, Greece
San Paulo, Brazil

tact
December 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM
tact, that is incredible, truly something I wish to do as well. I'm curious how Antarctica is operated, in terms of towns/villages or even research camps/bases. Is it possible to just rent a place there for a period of time?

And are you just fearless or did any of the exploring of the icebergs/crevasses scare ya a bit?

And no, we don't get no 165km/h winds here!! The -36C does happen time to time in the winter though :D

Heya herbster,

How is Antarctica operated... Well you dont need a passport to go there. :) Tho you will need one to exit your country. How you will get there is a tricky matter though. I know there are a few tour companies operating that take icebreakers south in the summer months and can get close enough to make landfall. Usually they use inflatable zodiac boats or helicopters to get people ashore.

I dont know of any facilities where you can rent a cabin etc.

Antarctica is not "owned" by any nation. There are over 100 countries with bases and many with some kind of "territory claims" over Antarctica but by agreement all countries to not enforce land claims and the place is intended to be kept as an open place for scientific purposes.

Under the international agreements there is to be no commercial exploitation of Antarctica for mining or military purposes. Its meant to be kept pristine and pure as possible thus most nations with a base there try to minimise eco-impact.

I got there by winning a position to work there for a year. I lived on an Australian research base (google for "Casey, Antarctica"). Australia has 3 bases on Antarctica. Our bases are on the more remote side south of Australia and south of South Africa. Thus we have no "neighbours" and are much more isolated. The 3 Aussie bases are manned right throughout the year, summer and winter.

Most of the other more then 100 countries with bases are all over the opposite side, south of South America, on the Antarctic peninsula that extends towards the southern tip of Sth America. Many only operate in the short summer months.

There are no native peoples living on Antarctica. No large land mammals either (no eskimo or polar bears or foxes etc). If all the scientists and governments packed up their bases and went home there would only be some birds, seals, and penguins on Antarctica.

For me the Antarctic experience HAD to include a winter. I wanted to see the longest, harshest, darkest winter nights. :)

Nahhhhh am not fearless. But how to resist the lure! Even in winter when its coldest and blackest - whenever there was a blizzard I would dress in protective gear and go outside just to feel the force of the katabatic winds tearing at my body. We had handlines strung between buildings so that you could go from building to building even in a blinding bliz - provided you can stand or crawl against the force of the wind.

In such a bliz you cannot see your hand in front of your face and often cannot even stand up against the gale. Taking just a few steps away from a huge brightly coloured and lit multi-storey building - it disappears. You are instantly "alone" in the dark, driving snow. Feeling as isolated as if you had just been teleported to a fierce planet across the galaxy. You can sink into your thoughts, hearing the roar of the wind as it tries to rip you up, physically beating and shaking you around. You can literally taste what "alone and vulnerable" is.

The nearest I ever got to that elsewhere on the planet is when scuba diving at night or in an underwater cave, or in very murky waters. Just you and what you hear and your thoughts. Life extending only as far as the glass of the facemask you wear.

tact
December 11th, 2007, 03:35 AM
[...] Tell more about the Antarctic, what kind of people did you meet down there? Internationals? Locals?

What kind of food did you eat? Did you work down there? If so what kind of work? etc, etc

Hi Nalmeth,

I was living and working on an Australian research base. We had no "neighbours" being on the more remote side of the continent. (Casey is pretty much due south from Perth, Aus).

So the people I met were only those who came to the base with me. There was a "core group" of 13 who stayed throughout the whole year to run the base. The base is run for scientific purposes and the Aus Gov't accepts applications from scientists across the world to come and do their projects there.

In the summer months we had about 70 people on base. Before winter closes in most of those people evacuate. Only the core team and those scientists with programs that need to run thru winter stay on. For the winter we (13) were supporting just 2 scientists.

Once the icebreaker left taking the summer people out - thats it. We got no further outside contact. No flights in or out were possible. So until the next summer when the icebreaker comes back we (15 people) were totally isolated.

All the food, fuel, clothing, medical supplies, and spare parts for all equipment that may be needed are brought in each year. All waste is taken out again at year end. So the food we ate was basically canned or frozen. We did have a half-length shipping container set up as a hydroponics farm and the fresh produce from there was like gold! :) Chef also baked bread and cakes fresh.

There was a bit of drama the year I was down there. Some doubts about whether we could get out at the end of winter. The icebreaker had a fire in the engine room some months before it was due come fetch us out. It was repaired only just in time... but then damaged its propulsion system in heavy ice while near to another Aussie base several thousand kilometres away.

A rescue mission was mounted. Another icebreaker was going to effect an ocean-going tow and get the crippled vessel back to Aus. But how to get us to the ship.

A Canadian aerial survey company had an aircraft that could just make the distance to reach us. They made the aircraft available to the Aus govt. They had to strip out most of the seats and make the aircraft a flying fuel-tank, drop drums of fuel at a Russian base at the half distance point to make a refuelling dump. Then they came to get us out. :)

We had to rush to construct a make-shift ice landing strip for the plane (a Twin-Otter) at Casey. They arrived, refuelled and we took off ahead of a blizzard approaching.

On the way out we landed on the ice at the Russian base, the half way point. Still only just ahead of a blizzard. I got to drink real Russian vodka with real Russians at their base. But we had to hurry to hand pump fuel and get off the ground again before the bliz caught us.

Those Russian guys are tough! Hardly any of the buildings are heated! The Aussie bases are all like 3 or 4 star hotel standards! Warm, carpeted, comfy. hehehe.

I also got to visit a Chinese base on the way out. Zhong Shan (spelling?).

We made it to the ship hours before our tow-ship arrived, a Japanese icebreaker made available for the rescue. By the time we reached the ice edge and open ocean our engineers got the propulsion system working again and we made it back to Australia 5days later unassisted (but thankful the South African ocean-going salvage tug stayed with us to ensure we made it).

All in an exciting year for me. :)

yabbadabbadont
December 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Where are you,Here.

where have you travelledHere and there.

and where would you like to go?Elsewhere.

:D

ken_vh
December 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm from Belgium, but I live in the Netherlands for my work. I wouldn't mind moving to Spain or Ireland.

herbster
December 15th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Heya herbster,

How is Antarctica operated... Well you dont need a passport to go there. :) Tho you will need one to exit your country. How you will get there is a tricky matter though. I know there are a few tour companies operating that take icebreakers south in the summer months and can get close enough to make landfall. Usually they use inflatable zodiac boats or helicopters to get people ashore.

I dont know of any facilities where you can rent a cabin etc.

Antarctica is not "owned" by any nation. There are over 100 countries with bases and many with some kind of "territory claims" over Antarctica but by agreement all countries to not enforce land claims and the place is intended to be kept as an open place for scientific purposes.

Under the international agreements there is to be no commercial exploitation of Antarctica for mining or military purposes. Its meant to be kept pristine and pure as possible thus most nations with a base there try to minimise eco-impact.

I got there by winning a position to work there for a year. I lived on an Australian research base (google for "Casey, Antarctica"). Australia has 3 bases on Antarctica. Our bases are on the more remote side south of Australia and south of South Africa. Thus we have no "neighbours" and are much more isolated. The 3 Aussie bases are manned right throughout the year, summer and winter.

Most of the other more then 100 countries with bases are all over the opposite side, south of South America, on the Antarctic peninsula that extends towards the southern tip of Sth America. Many only operate in the short summer months.

There are no native peoples living on Antarctica. No large land mammals either (no eskimo or polar bears or foxes etc). If all the scientists and governments packed up their bases and went home there would only be some birds, seals, and penguins on Antarctica.

For me the Antarctic experience HAD to include a winter. I wanted to see the longest, harshest, darkest winter nights. :)

Nahhhhh am not fearless. But how to resist the lure! Even in winter when its coldest and blackest - whenever there was a blizzard I would dress in protective gear and go outside just to feel the force of the katabatic winds tearing at my body. We had handlines strung between buildings so that you could go from building to building even in a blinding bliz - provided you can stand or crawl against the force of the wind.

In such a bliz you cannot see your hand in front of your face and often cannot even stand up against the gale. Taking just a few steps away from a huge brightly coloured and lit multi-storey building - it disappears. You are instantly "alone" in the dark, driving snow. Feeling as isolated as if you had just been teleported to a fierce planet across the galaxy. You can sink into your thoughts, hearing the roar of the wind as it tries to rip you up, physically beating and shaking you around. You can literally taste what "alone and vulnerable" is.

The nearest I ever got to that elsewhere on the planet is when scuba diving at night or in an underwater cave, or in very murky waters. Just you and what you hear and your thoughts. Life extending only as far as the glass of the facemask you wear.

That is some crazy shiet, tact!!! Really, thanks for that, it is clear you have experienced something few ever have nor will. I definitely want to do something like that, it's especially appealing for that true feeling of really being away from it all for a while. Man you can't get much more remote than Antarcica :D

Bruce M.
December 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I've been so interested in the "Antarctic" posts here I have added the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station "Weather Report" to my Panel.

It's that Feels like that's the killer.

Now THAT'S COLD! Don't bring your bathing suit!

And to think, in the middle of winter it's warmer 750 miles from the North Pole in Alert, Nunavut, Canada, than at the South pole.

What is the South Pole going to be like in July? I shudder to think.

tact
December 17th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I've been so interested in the "Antarctic" posts here I have added the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station "Weather Report" to my Panel.

It's that Feels like that's the killer.

Now THAT'S COLD! Don't bring your bathing suit!

Bathing suits are a MUST at Aussie bases. :) It is a tradition that on mid-winters day we cut holes in the sea ice (its a few metres thick at that time, and go for a dip! I have photos! hehehe

Seawater can only go down to -1.7C, so its actually "warmer" in the water than in the air! Still air temp maybe -25C to -30C on a mild midwinter day. hehehe.

When you step outside with wet hair, your hair freezes in moments hard like a helmet. It sounds like tapping on a hard plastic shell if you tap on your frozen hair. The millimetre or so closest to your scalp remains unfrozen because your head puts out a lot of heat and its trapped under the frozen outer layers of hair. SO your head does not feel so cold. And you can move your "helmet" of hair around a little on your head. :)

Got tired of people asking "can you sign your name in the snow when u pee". So my answers got a little skewed at times... "...way past that! I now do landscapes and portraits". hehehe

Then there is the old gem "...does your pee turn to icecubes?" Of course the answer is "No - when its THAT cold pee does not hit the ground at all, it crystalises and blows away as glittering dust."

p_quarles
December 17th, 2007, 04:46 AM
@tact: Just reading that made me shiver. :D

Last Winter here in Chicago was kind of extreme. At the time, I was working at a place where I had to walk about a mile (~1.5km) after exiting my train. One day, I made this walk when it was -4F/-20C. Despite the numerous layers of clothing I had on, it was still nearly unbearable. I just can't imagine going through temps like that and worse every day for an extended period of time. I admire your fortitude. ;)

sports fan Matt
December 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM
p_q,

Sadly, I remember that winter. Im also not fond of the 12 inches snow we just got..Isnt it summer already? lol

Lostincyberspace
December 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Bathing suits are a MUST at Aussie bases. :) It is a tradition that on mid-winters day we cut holes in the sea ice (its a few metres thick at that time, and go for a dip! I have photos! hehehe

Seawater can only go down to -1.7C, so its actually "warmer" in the water than in the air! Still air temp maybe -25C to -30C on a mild midwinter day. hehehe.

When you step outside with wet hair, your hair freezes in moments hard like a helmet. It sounds like tapping on a hard plastic shell if you tap on your frozen hair. The millimetre or so closest to your scalp remains unfrozen because your head puts out a lot of heat and its trapped under the frozen outer layers of hair. SO your head does not feel so cold. And you can move your "helmet" of hair around a little on your head. :)

Got tired of people asking "can you sign your name in the snow when u pee". So my answers got a little skewed at times... "...way past that! I now do landscapes and portraits". hehehe

Then there is the old gem "...does your pee turn to icecubes?" Of course the answer is "No - when its THAT cold pee does not hit the ground at all, it crystalises and blows away as glittering dust."
Your bean level name thing should really read not enough Ubuntu.

Bruce M.
December 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM

I shudder and shiver when I see people doing that on TV on New Years Day. Never mind the South Pole!

Note to Self: Never visit an Aussie base in Antarctica

This follows the same principle at most beaches. Go on a cool/reainy day and the water "feels" warmer, it the getting out that hurts. :)

Of course you are saying the water IS actually warmer. Now if only I can get my brain to accept -1.7C is warm(er).

Now that would be an experience.

However impossible for me! I'm bald. :lolflag:
I'd have a nice "iceCap"

:lolflag: OK, but to you sign your work!

My mind tells me he's joking,
But another part says, No he's right, he's talking about his experiences!

Again something I'll never see.

There's gold in them there hills! Naa, thats where we pee!
Sorry, couldnt help myself.