PDA

View Full Version : other WMs inside GNOME

Brunellus
September 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I've just been experimenting with other WMs inside GNOME....poofy's enlightened gnome and stormy-eyes openbox-gnome hybrids are quite interesting.

Can anyone point me to a more general resource on how the window-manager interacts with GNOME in general? I'd like to be able to run fluxbox inside gnome rather than Openbox--will the openbox trick work? Or can I change the default-wm to fluxbox in the ~/.gnome2/session file?

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I've just been experimenting with other WMs inside GNOME....poofy's enlightened gnome and stormy-eyes openbox-gnome hybrids are quite interesting.

Can anyone point me to a more general resource on how the window-manager interacts with GNOME in general? I'd like to be able to run fluxbox inside gnome rather than Openbox--will the openbox trick work? Or can I change the default-wm to fluxbox in the ~/.gnome2/session file?

Well...the sessions file trick WILL do it. But the Window Manager might not accept Gnome. You don't know till you try.

Brunellus
September 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Well...the sessions file trick WILL do it. But the Window Manager might not accept Gnome. You don't know till you try.
define "might not accept gnome"?

I'll definitely give it a try when I get home from work today, though...and expect nearly-instant reporting on #ubuntuforums

Stormy Eyes
September 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Any window manager that supports the EWMH (Extended Window Manager Hints) standard should be usable with GNOME.

poofyhairguy
September 9th, 2005, 01:43 AM
define "might not accept gnome"?

I'll definitely give it a try when I get home from work today, though...and expect nearly-instant reporting on #ubuntuforums

Try us an tell. I know I couldn't force kwin into Gnome.....

xequence
September 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I was trying other WMs in gnome also. I got e17 to work but it was NOT good in gnome at all.

I tried the openbox trick but with fluxbox instead. Didnt even do anything :P

I love gnome but I also love the speedieness of IceWM, Fluxbox, XFCE, etc.

Post 300 =O Cool :)

benplaut
September 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Try us an tell. I know I couldn't force kwin into Gnome.....

you didn't try hard enough.

me, pretty much still a technical n00b, got it in (on hoary) with no trouble, whatsoever! (but it was kinda slow) :grin:

Kimm
September 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I'm using xfwm4 in GNOME, it works wounderfully, only "problem" I have with it is that I get a small gap between the taskbar and the window when I maximize it, its not a bit gap and it does the same thing in XFCE4 anyway so I dont mind it.

And I cant see why you didnt get kwin working eighter?
I tried it for a short wile but replaced it pretty quickly, I was merely trying out other WM's as I'm not a huge fan of Metacity, however, as benplaut said, it was quite slow.

poofyhairguy
September 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I'm using xfwm4 in GNOME, it works wounderfully, only "problem" I have with it is that I get a small gap between the taskbar and the window when I maximize it, its not a bit gap and it does the same thing in XFCE4 anyway so I dont mind it.

And I cant see why you didnt get kwin working eighter?
I tried it for a short wile but replaced it pretty quickly, I was merely trying out other WM's as I'm not a huge fan of Metacity, however, as benplaut said, it was quite slow.

Slow doesn't get to me....the fact that it was more unstable got to me. Instead I want to rebuild Gnome inside KDE.