PDA

View Full Version : Seagate snubs Linux

autocrosser
December 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Just what the title stated--take a look at:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux

I foresee lower sales ahead for Seagate....I would write to them and protest.

Link is: https://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/stx_ask.php?p_cats=262

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Open Sauce
:shock:

p_quarles
December 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Open Sauce
I for one will never use an OS if the seal on the cap is broken. You don't know what could be in there. (good catch, FP; didn't notice it till I saw your reply).

Note, too, that this won't work with Macs. This won't be Seagate's death knell, exactly, but it does seem like a pointless way of wasting a perfectly good target market.

hanzomon4
December 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Won't be buying their products, even if I used Windows...

autocrosser
December 9th, 2007, 03:44 AM
My mail to the presales Dept reads:

RE FreeAgent Drives:

I am sad to say after many years of buying your products---I will no longer due to the lack of support for Linux.

Sorry to hear that you will turn your back on the operating system of the future.

Yes--I saw the "Open Sauce"---just shows sloppy reporting--bad show ;)

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I for one will never use an OS if the seal on the cap is broken. You don't know what could be in there. (good catch, FP; didn't notice it till I saw your reply).

Note, too, that this won't work with Macs. This won't be Seagate's death knell, exactly, but it does seem like a pointless way of wasting a perfectly good target market.

I had to re-read that sentence because I couldn't believe what I just read
Yes, best not to use an OS that's been tampered with :lolflag:

Wow, won't work on Macs either. Not good for Seagate.

autocrosser
December 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Please everyone---write to them and complain....I for one will not just let it pass by.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 9th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I sure would. (Let it pass by, that is). This is shiny new evidence that they are lame and do not deserve my money. Makes choosing hard drives easier. No amount of backtracking will solve this; they obviously do not care about compatibility with anything other than Windows.

Also... why does The Inquirer continue to even exist? Every one of their articles that I have read has been sloppily written.

zachtib
December 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM
so, what' stopping me from reformatting the drive to ext3?

Sporkman
December 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM
So they're not marketing these towards servers, I take it?

p_quarles
December 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM
so, what' stopping me from reformatting the drive to ext3?
The power management features. It shuts down after about six minutes, then restarts using the USB 1 protocol. The article was poorly written, but it does explain this.

autocrosser
December 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Point is that FreeAgent is a power-saving function---only for Winblows........

Nano Geek
December 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Looks like someone fell asleep behind the steering-wheel for a moment there. Hopefully it was unintentional and will be fixed.

zachtib
December 9th, 2007, 03:59 AM
The power management features. It shuts down after about six minutes, then restarts using the USB 1 protocol. The article was poorly written, but it does explain this.

this wouldn't affect their internal drives, would it?

PilotJLR
December 9th, 2007, 04:03 AM
No, shouldn't affect internal drives. In fact, Seagates are used in large volume by a lot of array vendors (some of whom run systems based on linux)

zachtib
December 9th, 2007, 04:05 AM
well, that's good. i've always used seagate drives on my builds, and i'd have to have to start using something else.

i'll just stay away from their externals

sloggerkhan
December 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
This sounds like an issue with the external's case more than anything. So they've done bad product design once. Their hard drives are still fine.

wana10
December 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
don't know why they didn't just stay with the old way of doing it... i have one of their pushbutton externals and it goes to sleep all the time only to bounce right back as soon as i need it.

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM

lol, that actually made me laugh.

Frak
December 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM

:lolflag:

Sucks for me, since only one of my computers run Windows, the others run either a flavor a Linux or Mac OS X.

Crashmaxx
December 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I, for one, will keep using Seagate for all my drives, just not this specific product. It would be nice to have the sleep feature, and nice to have it work in Linux, but this one product doesn't make me want to switch brands.

Lostincyberspace
December 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I dont think its really worth it to get seagate it is just so much more expensive.

wana10
December 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM
more expensive then what? usually i see seagate drives at the same if not a lower price.

DoctorMO
December 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Those who don't get The Inquirer are obviously not British or don't understand the history.

The Inquirer is run by the same merry men and The Register, the difference being that they get to say what they like and make jokes and pokes at everyone; It's like the Private Eye for IT in a way.

regomodo
December 10th, 2007, 01:15 AM

it's theinquirer. what do you expect.
if i see anything linked to that biased site i just leave it