PDA

View Full Version : Linux starts here!

fatality_uk
December 9th, 2007, 02:49 AM
It's taken till now, but Linux has, in my opinion, finally come of age. I've usually had a Linux box somewhere, but my production environment is now 100% Linux.

When manufacturers like Dell and BIG supermarkets like Tesco are selling Linux PC's, Tesco PC (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-6129.aspx) it's a very good indicator that Linux is now a viable business proposition for the home desktop market.

In addition, there's ID software's continuing support for Linux and a few other games developers and manufacturers making "good" noises about Linux.

Just wanted to know thoughts about where people see Linux in 3 years? A real alternative to MS?

~LoKe
December 9th, 2007, 02:54 AM
It's already an alternative to, and if I may say so, superior than, Windows.

fatality_uk
December 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM
It's already an alternative to, and if I may say so, superior than, Windows.

Not the point I was making. From "OUR" point of view, yes an alternative, but for avg guy on the street, he knows he wants a PC to do stuff, but is there likely to be a real "choice" for him walking into PC High Street shop in two or three years?

Will the sales staff say, "Here we have the ABC x300 model. It comes with Windows or Linux installed for you"

~LoKe
December 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Not the point I was making. From "OUR" point of view, yes an alternative, but for avg guy on the street, he knows he wants a PC to do stuff, but is there likely to be a real "choice" for him walking into PC High Street shop in two or three years?

Will the sales staff say, "Here we have the ABC x300 model. It comes with Windows or Linux installed for you"

I don't think we'll see this for decades. Actually, it won't happen until schools and workplaces phase out Windows.

ewr2san
December 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Here's what I see happening..

Linux's release schedule and pace of improvement is definatley ahead of windows at this point.

One of the key things I see happening is the GUI of Linux surpassing that of Windows, and taking a real lead.

Other innovations that make things automagically happen like:
zero effort backups, adaptive performance tuning, and other "easier than windows" technologies making users switch.,

yatt
December 9th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Its getting there. In some ways it is much better than what MS offers. In other ways, it completely falls on its face, stands back up, falls on its face again, the jumps in front of a bus.

I think the later may need some work.