PDA

View Full Version : Less stickies in Community Chat

weekend warrior
September 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Is there any chance we could have less sticky topics in the Community Chat? With the addition of monthly desktop shots there are now seven of them. Seven stickies out of 27 topics shown on the first page. Topics move very (too) quickly off the first page when the Chat is active and the amount of stickies contributes to this.

With respect, the Cookbook thread doesn't seem noteworthy or active enough to be stickied with only 4 posts in August, just 2 in July and 5 in June.

The "What kind of Linux User Are You" is interesting, but imo not different enough from other threads to be stickied and is active enough to probably survive on its own much like the "How many of you completely switched to linux" or "What are you listening to now" threads for example.

The Code of Conduct, a reminder" would arguably be no less effective if it were tacked onto the Guidelines sticky with a title change to reflect this.

The "Post your forum suggestions" sticky duplicates this very forum here, doesn't it? I even wavered on where to post this but eventually opted for here. It seems more appropriate. A bit confusing this duplication.

The "Freenode IRC channel" sticky is debatable. People say it's very quiet there while others have encountered problems with rudeness or even hostility to popular projects like ubuntu guide.

With these changes, the Community Chat would be left with 2 or 3 sensible sticky topics - like this forum here. This would improve the quality and usefulness of the Chat forum allowing topics to stay on the front page longer and not be so top-heavy with less than noteworthy information.

Thank you for listening.

macgyver2
September 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I second. When I go into Community Chat or the next page I don't even see the normal posts until I scroll down. And you're absolutely right about the inconsistency of what is a sticky and what is not.

XDevHald
September 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I see your point and will be sure to pass this over to other hands to see what they can do.

~Thank You!~

az
September 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Stickies suck.

Nobody reads stickies.

Stickies get worse as you have more of them.

.....Can you guess what my opinion of stickies are?

ubuntu-geek
September 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM
OK I removed a few of them.. The rest will stay for now..

weekend warrior
September 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Thank you kindly. It's much better now. :grin: