PDA

View Full Version : not all computer problems are because of linux

octopuskevin
December 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
When i started using linux almost two years ago, I was told that most problems you have with your computer is simply because linux does not always support things the way windows does. Granted, I do agree with that statement, as I did find myself sometimes needing to configure some .conf files, waiting for the release of something else, etc... long story short, when you use linux you begin to accept the fact that not everything works out of the box. That's o.k. though, we all figure it out eventually, we browse the forums, we read up on anything and everything.. maybe its a bug? check launchpad..

However maybe I just don't have good luck with computers.

Last year my desktop started crashing... frequently. I figured it was the nvidia card I had bought so I could experience the joy of wobbly windows... I tried everything, anything. Others seemed to be having the same symptoms as me... except my computer would crash as if it was a sporting competition. Well after a month of acquiring some spare parts to test with, it turned out my motherboard had essentially died, and my power supply was losing life, thus affecting the videocard and giving me those similar symptoms.
Linux 1 - Hardware 0

So, lacking a computer I picked up an acer 6291 this summer. Awesome computer, ultra portable, did everything i needed.... until the left mouse button stopped working. weird.. like deja vu I thought, but this was brand spanking new, so how could it be a hardware issue. I tried anything and everything, but once I saw the same things happening in windows, I knew it was hardware. As usual tech support was useless, so I made a work order for this repair.
Linux 2 - Hardware 0

That was back in October.... now its December and my wireless stopped working. I'm done blaming linux for things not working. I booted up windows, and guess what? No dice. wireless is junk. awesome. So now, with a week of school left and in the midst of some brutal exams, my one and only salvation and retreat from studying is down the toilet. I've reverted to using my cellphone to play games when i need a break at the library... good bye ubuntuforums, goodbye digg... This sucks!
Linux 3 - Hardware 0

The Moral of the Story
So the moral of the story is this. Linux may be sometimes unstable, but it will do what you want it to do. There are always bugs, and there are always things that need to be configured properly. However just because your using linux does not mean that your hardware is excused. Test your system because I can bet a good chunk of problems people have is not because of 'linux doesn't do this, linux doesn't do that', no it may just be that the hardware in your spanking new computer is junk.

- A very disgruntled, upset, and bothered university student with a broken computer

n3tfury
December 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
The Moral of the Story
So the moral of the story is this. Linux may be sometimes unstable, but it will do what you want it to do. There are always bugs, and there are always things that need to be configured properly.

that goes with any OS.

Lostincyberspace
December 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
The Moral of the Story
So the moral of the story is this. Linux may be sometimes unstable, but it will do what you want it to do.

More like what you tell it to do. :)

macogw
December 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I've had a similar set of incidents. Every time I leave home with electronics and move into my new dorm, things break.

Last year (first day in the dorm):
- 1 mp3 player
- 1 wireless keyboard
- 1 wireless mouse

This year (within 3 weeks):
- 1 IBM Model M clicky keyboard (grrrrr)
- 1 new and working mouse
- motherboard
- power supply

And when the people who fixed my motherboard put the laptop back together, they closed it up wrong so something is stabbing through my left speaker. My optical drive is also in its death throes and has been since April.