PDA

View Full Version : Misson Complete

gletob
December 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hahaha I did It I successfully
What is it you ask well if you go to the best buy in my area you might find a HP computer running ubuntu I actually managed to do it after a friend dared me to I hid the cd Under my jacket popped it in to a computer reboot and installed ubuntu took a picture with my phone now my friend must use Ubuntu for two weeks
EDIT: Live Cd running not Install

suziequzie
December 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Did you leave it in the system? Or quickly revert it back to their Windows configuration?

gletob
December 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I left it running and also left a note for people referring to : www.ubuntu.com and www.ubuntuforums.com

hanzomon4
December 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
You gone be in some kinda trouble!!!!! Did you install it or just pop in the livecd? And most importantly did you make sure compiz was working?

LaRoza
December 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
You just gave the Linux community a black eye. I wonder what Best Buy will think of Linux users now?

I respect the property of others, and the stores in my area let me try out live disks when buying a computer. With your example, will I still be able to do that?

suziequzie
December 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Oh man, I hope *someone* on their staff knows what Linux is, and can calm the panic that ensues when some staffer thinks a virus hit their machine...

gletob
December 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ooops I worded that wrong no it running live cd not intalled

Wazeem
December 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hahaha I did It I successfully
What is it you ask well if you go to the best buy in my area you might find a HP computer running ubuntu I actually managed to do it after a friend dared me to I hid the cd Under my jacket popped it in to a computer reboot and installed ubuntu took a picture with my phone now my friend must use Ubuntu for two weeks
EDIT: Live Cd running not Install

That is so awesome but if it was an install that would have been more amusing.

P.s I think people are taking this way too seriously.

LaRoza
December 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Ooops I worded that wrong no it running live cd not intalled

You should have restored the computer to the way you found it. Leave the disk in the store if you want, but do not do such childish things.

Kingsley
December 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM
You know you're a geek when...

I don't think they'll be too dumbfounded by what they see. You left a note on which website to visit.

LaRoza
December 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM
P.s I think people are taking this way too seriously.

It is serious. How would you like someone fiddling with your computer or something you were trying to sell?

I try out live disks on display computers, but leave the computer exactly as I found it.

LaRoza
December 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I don't think they'll be too dumbfounded by what they see. You left a note on which website to visit.

Imagine their opinion of Ubuntu (users) after that.

Wazeem
December 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
It is serious. How would you like someone fiddling with your computer or something you were trying to sell?

I try out live disks on display computers, but leave the computer exactly as I found it.

If I have the thing on display then I should expect such things. You said it yourself you try live discs too, plus its not like it was a virus. Seeing as its a computer store they should know about ubuntu and as there is a note left I dont see major harm.

and the seriousness is a matter of opinion so please dont try and force your opinion on me.

gletob
December 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I did leave a note you know

LaRoza
December 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
If I have the thing on display then I should expect such things. You said it yourself you try live discs too, plus its not like it was a virus. Seeing as its a computer store they should know about ubuntu and as there is a note left I dont see major harm.

and the seriousness is a matter of opinion so please dont try and force your opinion on me.

They have the computers tied down (at least, where I am) because people might steal them. They usually have them turned on, so people can try them. The run in a guest account, so you can't install anything.

If they have reason to think people will try to boot from a disk and not restore the computer to the original state, perhaps they will not leave them on?

One should not abuse a priviledge, and one should not inconvenience others, especially when one's behavior can have a negative impact on others.

This isn't an "opinion", it is a fact. Any priviledge that is abused, is taken away.

The OP's action were trivial, but are an inconvenience that I doubt the Best Buy staff will want to see again.

hanzomon4
December 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I did leave a note you know

What did the note say, and was it a tomboy note or a paper note?

popch
December 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
That was not well done. It is not proper to run software on a computer which you are not authorized to use in that manner.

While I do not think that the Ubuntu community at large will be made to suffer, it is still poor form.

What kept you from asking if they minded your testing Ubuntu on that PC?

gletob
December 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM
What did the note say, and was it a tomboy note or a paper note?

I was a gedit note

Wazeem
December 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
This isn't an "opinion", it is a fact. Any priviledge that is abused, is taken away..

Your post is assuming many things and is confusing from what is fact and what isn't.

They have the computers tied down (at least, where I am) because people might steal them. They usually have them turned on, so people can try them. The run in a guest account, so you can't install anything.

How is this related to the OPs thread, What are you trying to prove? The only thing that is remotely related is the "installing" of software but seeing as how the OP did not install ubuntu even that is unrelated.

If they have reason to think people will try to boot from a disk and not restore the computer to the original state, perhaps they will not leave them on?

Perhaps... perhaps not but we will find out.

One should not abuse a priviledge, and one should not inconvenience others, especially when one's behavior can have a negative impact on others.

again your assuming that it has had a negative impact. You seem to think that one person going into a store and running ubuntu from live-CD AND leaving a note behind will cause a major negative response to the community.

This isn't an "opinion", it is a fact. Any priviledge that is abused, is taken away.

I dont think that is a fact. Especially since its difficult to distinguish between privilege and a need. BTW how serious YOU think the action may be is not the same as someone else. I never said "it is" I said "I think" while you said "It is". And most of this post i'm responding to is assumptions so I dont see where the facts are.

The OP's action were trivial, but are an inconvenience that I doubt the Best Buy staff will want to see again.

again an assumptions. Some of the guys might have found it amusing not everyone is uptight. I know I would have laughed even if I knew not of ubuntu.

DoctorMO
December 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
It's a rights violation of BestBuy but it isn't immoral as stated. No intending harm and not causing harm. But BestBuy do have a right not to have their computers tampered with, weather they mind live cds is unknown so we are guessing.

LaRoza
I dont think that is a fact. Especially since its difficult to distinguish between privilege and a need. BTW how serious YOU think the action may be is not the same as someone else. I never said "it is" I said "I think" while you said "It is". And most of this post i'm responding to is assumptions so I dont see where the facts are.

It really matters how serious the Best Buy managerial staff thinks it is. I doubt they will want to put up with behavior like this in the future.

bapoumba
What that fun or an exploit? Hoping so. Have fun now, I'm closing the thread. I'll make sure I take a picture.