PDA

View Full Version : Libraries where is what ?

ThaDoctor99
December 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Okey I have really been irritated about this for a long time.
You know you need a function and you do not know all the libs by hand or memorize them or anything, but you really need to know whether somebody already done this - and where it might be placed in which library (okey you really only need to know what the function does not where in which library it is)

but you really need to do this the hard way.
Either you already know where this is and what it does or alternatively
you look around the web using google or whatever to find whether somebody actually wrote some doc upon this somewhere.
This is really buggy and your not even debugging yet - this is most a problem when you try to find something for a program in C or C++ or some other language which use the same style system for functions
- this is not including perl and python which use the same stuff but has a decent system for documenting and making these visualable.

And now for what I think would be making this a whole lot better, a little program (or maybe kind of big), which would look up what libraries you had installed and what the functions in this lib was and what these libs did. This would make stuff even better.

Well it really don't need to be any program it could just be a shell command if this is invented, just a somewhat smarter solution than looking at a lot of the rubbish google always find......

Greetings from Denmark

pmasiar
December 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Depends on the language of course... Python has great repository of "recipes" at activestate.com and cheeseshop, so with google and little patience it is not that hard to get a clue. Maybe C programmers like to have learn the hard way...

ThaDoctor99
December 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think anybody think it is really don't interessting to learn the hard way.

So if there is any easy way for C libs what should it be then Anybody knows???

cwaldbieser
December 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I don't think anybody think it is really don't interessting to learn the hard way.

So if there is any easy way for C libs what should it be then Anybody knows???
Maybe something like http://www.koders.com/?

ThaDoctor99
December 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Okey now I could look at koders but I do not see how that should help me examine what is on my system - which is also something I would like to do. Anyway I would suppose you can look into the libraries onto that site, but this is still slightly hard to do.

I think it would be to prefer if you could look for a function and the system came up with where that would be found - so that when you write something you know excatly what you should include and what not....

ThaDoctor99
December 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Well I have found something which might do a part of the trick as there is a little neat command nm in linux.
I haven't tried it yet, but this is something of what I was looking for.... :-)
now I just need to know what which functions do and I am running