PDA

View Full Version : Team Web Site

xarquid
December 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM
General Information
We have had a website hosted by my own company for about 6 - 8 months now. It has been web mastered by Antonio Vertigo mainly, a long standing team member since about founding. He has not had much time for updates lately. There has been interest in re-vamping the web site or at least "revving" it up a bit to include more content, more graphics and show us off a bit more. So that is what this is all about.

More Specific
The site currently is running on Joomla. I have root access to the server and the Content Management System (CMS) can change if need be, but we would prefer to stay with Joomla. Since Antonio has been the webmaster for quite some time, this is his project. He will be taking the project lead on it. However, WE NEED YOUR HELP! So, with this being said. Ideas, comments, suggestions, help in the form of programming, graphic design and really ANYTHING you can contribute would be wonderful.

So I pose the question...

Question
Would you like to contribute? If so, how do you see yourself involved in the site? If you see yourself involved in a way of programming and/or way of graphic design do you have examples of past work? We are not evaluating your as if for a job...we just want to see. It's always fun to see portfolios!

Everyone can contribute no matter the scale. If you can not contribute in a direct way such as content, programming skills or graphics -- how about ideas? What ideas do you have for the site?

Some ideas going forward that have been discussed are as follows:

Blog posts by select members
Content contribution by select members
Java applet based chat to connect to IRC to make it easier for those without direct access to an IRC application
Utility to view where we all are on a map (like Google Maps)
Current Technology/Linux news for the SC area (very precise/targetted and to the point, not overwhelming)
Schedule of events (i.e. what members are doing and where/when if they are public events) / also a schedule of technology related events that members may feel other Linux users in the area who are a part of the team may be interested in
Host meeting logs for future meetings
@ubuntusc.com e-mail addresses for members?

So what are your thoughts? Anyone willing to contribute?

Thanks for everyone's time. I look forward to hearing everyones' feedback and hopefully getting some help.

Cheers!

xarquid
December 9th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Flare updated the design of the web site today. Thanks a ton Flare for your work on this!

We're still in need of a graphic designer or two (and more programmers). Come one, come all! Tis the season! Ho ho ho. Hehe.

Anyways...let us know what you think. Come on, don't be shy. Give us your opinions.

Also, we need some bloggers.

If you want to be an official SC Ubuntu blogger, let me know. If you want to blog on ubuntusc.com on the blog there -- linked on the main page, blog about your life with Linux, your life in general, tech stuff, getting your kids or wife to use linux, getting your dog to try to use awk etc. etc. then this might be the place of FAME!!!

:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Let us know. We want to get you involve in Ubuntu SC. Just reply to this post, e-mail me, PM me, catch me on IRC (/msg me if I'm not there or idle) etc.

Thank you for your time. We look forward to having you be an active part of Ubuntu Team South Carolina.

XQ / XarQuid / Craig Huffstetler

recluse2
December 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I'd like to help. About the only thing I could do is maybe blog. I am just now learning Linux, and have a computer that I am experimenting with. I have experimented with MANY different distros and have settled with Ubuntu. I do plan on going to nothing but linux on my 2 other computers, and when I build my next machine it will more than likely run nothing but Ubuntu. Maybe I'll catch you guys on IRC

Flare183
December 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I will also still help. I mean i will keep helping the website and if you need me you can normally find me on the IRC sometime after 3:30PM in the afternoon.

I would also like to help with the programming stuff as well.

xarquid
December 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
At this point, I think either FLASH or GRAPHIC DESIGN help is mainly needed. Programming skills should be listed and expertise level should be designated ;) Details always help in my opinion.

Thanks a ton for everyone's input.

Also, input helps a lot and suggestions for improvement...I like creative input!!!

:popcorn:

Runamok
January 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hey, Clemson SC student here. If you would like me to blog about making the switch to Linux, lessons learned, and Linux laptops + college, please let me know!
I would be more than happy to share my experiences, and produce easy-to-follow tutorials that help other college students make the switch to Linux.

- Troy

xarquid
January 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Sounds cool, join us for our first team meeting and we'll definitely discuss it :) We need some bloggers -- specially on those topics! ;-)