PDA

View Full Version : Inspiron Desktop 530 N Questions/Opinions

SilverDragon
December 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
First I was just wondering if anyone who has bought this machine has enjoyed/disliked their experience with it.

The reason I am planning on buying this is my old computer is having hardware problems while I was running Ubuntu, but luckily my family doesn't blame Ubuntu when I try to explain to them that it is either a problem with the CPU(CPU failing during start-up) or the monitor going into stand-by and I can't get it out of it. I tested the monitor on a different computer and it works fine. I also realized the monitor issue could also be caused by a bad video card, because thats old too(GeForce 4200). In addition, I was also having this problem under Window, so its not Ubuntu.

I had been using Ubuntu for a few months. I had been on and off, but had recently made a complete switch to Ubuntu, and I'm glad I did.

My first question has to do with the fact that because the monitor I have now (Samsung Syncmaster 712n) works fine, I was planning on using that and just buying the computer off Dell. Would that be possible or is their some propriety cable I would need to use to connect the monitor to the video card?

My second question is since the computer ships with Ubuntu 7.04, could I just wipe that out and install Ubuntu 7.10? I had been using the latest version for a few months now. People may complain about bugs but it worked fine for my daily use and has been out more then a month which is the general rule for waiting before upgrading.

My last and probably most important question deals with getting my old data onto the new computer. My old computer used IDE hard drives and all of my music and videos were on a 120GB and backed up to a 80GB hard drive. I was wondering if there was any way I could get that data onto my new hard drive?
I at least backed up my documents and pictures to a flash drive. The videos I could probably live without, but my music.. eh. :/

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd just like to buy this new computer and get started on my college applications :-)

MrFSL
December 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM
First I was just wondering if anyone who has bought this machine has enjoyed/disliked their experience with it.
I have not bought this machine.

My first question has to do with the fact that because the monitor I have now (Samsung Syncmaster 712n) works fine, I was planning on using that and just buying the computer off Dell.You shouldn't have a problem.

My second question is since the computer ships with Ubuntu 7.04, could I just wipe that out and install Ubuntu 7.10?Yes.

My last and probably most important question deals with getting my old data onto the new computer. My old computer used IDE hard drives and all of my music and videos were on a 120GB and backed up to a 80GB hard drive. I was wondering if there was any way I could get that data onto my new hard drive? If the old computer is bootable you can use the Ubuntu live CD and a cross-over network cable to transfer the files. If the old computer is not bootable then perhaps put the drive in a cheap external USB enclosure.

SilverDragon
December 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
What is a "cross-over network cable?"

If I can't get it to boot, would this be an external USB enclosure I could use?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817113012

I'm guessing because it is an IDE HDD its probably a 3.5 drive.

MrFSL
December 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Although I can't guarantee 100% that this enclosure is Linux compatible -- You are on the right track.

As far as crossover cable, more can be read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

SilverDragon
December 9th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well I'll soon find out if its compatible.

Thanks for your help. The helpful forums is part of the reason I decided to stay with Ubuntu :)

Crashmaxx
December 9th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I would just mount the hard drive with all the data internally in the new machine. I'm sure it has at least one IDE slot and probably has room to mount another drive. You could keep using it, or transfer the data to the new drive. No reason to bother with an external case unless you want to plug it into other machines or keep it in a closest and use it just for backup.

EDIT: I looked into the 530 N specs, it doesn't have an ATA slot, just two SATA ones. But it has room for two more 3.5" drives. So assuming you have a ATA drive and that is what you meant by IDE, then you have two choices. First is to get this simple adapter so you can mount it in the machine and have it just be a second drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156010

Or do like you were going to and mount it externally by USB. This is fine, but I'd only do it if you have a reason to want it external, cause otherwise you just have another device sitting around and taking up space and another power cord. Which is annoying if you use it all the time. And I'd also like to point out that the case you posted can fit 5.25" drives also, so it is HUGE. Unless you might want to mount a CD/DVD drive in there later, I would get a smaller one like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145385

Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

SilverDragon
December 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks for your input.

I'm probably going to just get my data off the hard drive and then put it away somewhere so I don't think it really matters all too much.

I would have gone with your smaller USB enclosure if I hadn't already ordered it tho :-)