PDA

View Full Version : The best lightweight window manager?

master_kernel
December 8th, 2007, 03:12 AM
What do you think the best lightweight window manager is?

To me, the top seats belong to XFCE and Enlightenment, maybe IceWM. So, how about you?

-grubby
December 8th, 2007, 03:16 AM
well technically XFCE isn't a WM so it doesn't count...but it wins best DE in my book (although I still use GNOME). I would say my Favorite WM is Fluxbox or E17. next comes what is it....ICEWM

p_quarles
December 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I have absolutely nothing against any of the other lightweights, but I'm currently in love with Fluxbox. Simple, takes few resources, and takes all its cues from human-readable text files.

D-EJ915
December 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Sawfish, pure awesomeness. I love all of them...FVWM, CTWM, Windowmaker, etc. They do different things and work in different ways that I like using all of them.

But as for brainless configuration and stuff, Sawfish wins by far.

herbster
December 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I was using Openbox for a while, looove it. Now trying Fluxbox, just felt like giving it a go, and really digging it too.

Medieval_Creations
December 8th, 2007, 03:42 AM
+1 Fluxbox. I've been using it for years now. I've checked out and play with some of the others, but still seem to always come back to Flux.

RAV TUX
December 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM
What do you think the best lightweight window manager is?

To me, the top seats belong to XFCE and Enlightenment, maybe IceWM. So, how about you?

1. e17(specifically the "e17 CVS Deb" for OzOs (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/board,91.0.html))
2. Fluxbox

blithen
December 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Sawfish, pure awesomeness. I love all of them...FVWM, CTWM, Windowmaker, etc. They do different things and work in different ways that I like using all of them.

But as for brainless configuration and stuff, Sawfish wins by far.
DDDDDDD:!! I didn't work for me.... ._. :(

LookTJ
December 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM
OpenBox, BlackBox, IceWM? I don't know which is the lightest and best, but I use GNOME/OpenBox.

crimesaucer
December 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
well technically XFCE isn't a WM so it doesn't count...but it wins best DE in my book (although I still use GNOME). I would say my Favorite WM is Fluxbox or E17. next comes what is it....ICEWM

Actually, the xfce4 window manager is xfwm4, and it has many features like composting and transparency. For a lightweight browser, xfwm4 is pretty damn good.

vishzilla
December 8th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Which is better Openbox or Fluxbox? I am thinking of switching over to one of these...

IYY
December 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I vote for IceWM. It's the simplest, and can actually look the best with the proper themes.

Besides, I love Meta+Space shortcut to activate the commandline.

~LoKe
December 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
DWM, simply brilliant!

herbster
December 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Which is better Openbox or Fluxbox? I am thinking of switching over to one of these...

How about installing both and giving them a go :)

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I like windowmaker, very customizable

~LoKe
December 8th, 2007, 05:10 AM

You really would have to try them both.

smartboyathome
December 8th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Enlightenment 17 is also a desktop environment, so it doesn't count either. Though it is the lightest DE I have seen in a while (is also one of the prettiest :lolflag:).

Mateo
December 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM
definitely fluxbox. I've going to buy an old computer just so I won't feel guilty running fluxbuntu on it.

RedSquirrel
December 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Fluxbox is my favourite, but I wouldn't call it "the best". I don't think there is a "best" window manager because it really comes down to individual tastes. ;)

TeraDyne
December 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I like Windowmaker and AfterSTEP the most. Both are customizable enough for my needs, and they're really fast.

bonzodog
December 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I would go for Openbox. I love my openbox, and it is very fast. Openbox also supports gtk theming.

I always used windowmaker before this, but openbox is really something else.

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I like Windowmaker and AfterSTEP the most. Both are customizable enough for my needs, and they're really fast.

afterstep is pretty good, but I feel windowmaker is a bit better in some areas.
But meh they are pretty good in any case

jseiser
December 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM
awesome window manager. Find it here. http://awesome.naquadah.org/

tytyty
June 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
[-X Oh, please. E17, IceWM, AfterStep, Metacity, kwin, and xfwm are HEAVYWEIGHT WM's. All *box, Sawfish, FVWM, and WindowMaker are MIDDLEWEIGHT. The best LEIGHTWEIGHT is defiantly without a doubt...
wm2:)http://www.all-dat-breakfast.com/wm2/.

Best WM period is Openbox.:)

cardinals_fan
June 6th, 2008, 02:18 AM
TinyWM is lightweight. Here's the source code, all 56 lines of it:
/* TinyWM is written by Nick Welch <mack@incise.org>, 2005.
* This software is in the public domain
* and is provided AS IS, with NO WARRANTY. */

#include <X11/Xlib.h>

#define MAX(a, b) ((a) > (b) ? (a) : (b))

int main()
{
Display * dpy;
Window root;
XWindowAttributes attr;
XButtonEvent start;
XEvent ev;

if(!(dpy = XOpenDisplay(0x0))) return 1;

root = DefaultRootWindow(dpy);

XGrabKey(dpy, XKeysymToKeycode(dpy, XStringToKeysym("F1")), Mod1Mask, root,
True, GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync);
XGrabButton(dpy, 1, Mod1Mask, root, True, ButtonPressMask, GrabModeAsync,
GrabModeAsync, None, None);
XGrabButton(dpy, 3, Mod1Mask, root, True, ButtonPressMask, GrabModeAsync,
GrabModeAsync, None, None);

for(;;)
{
XNextEvent(dpy, &ev);
if(ev.type == KeyPress && ev.xkey.subwindow != None)
XRaiseWindow(dpy, ev.xkey.subwindow);
else if(ev.type == ButtonPress && ev.xbutton.subwindow != None)
{
XGrabPointer(dpy, ev.xbutton.subwindow, True,
PointerMotionMask|ButtonReleaseMask, GrabModeAsync,
GrabModeAsync, None, None, CurrentTime);
XGetWindowAttributes(dpy, ev.xbutton.subwindow, &attr);
start = ev.xbutton;
}
else if(ev.type == MotionNotify)
{
int xdiff, ydiff;
while(XCheckTypedEvent(dpy, MotionNotify, &ev));
xdiff = ev.xbutton.x_root - start.x_root;
ydiff = ev.xbutton.y_root - start.y_root;
XMoveResizeWindow(dpy, ev.xmotion.window,
attr.x + (start.button==1 ? xdiff : 0),
attr.y + (start.button==1 ? ydiff : 0),
MAX(1, attr.width + (start.button==3 ? xdiff : 0)),
MAX(1, attr.height + (start.button==3 ? ydiff : 0)));
}
else if(ev.type == ButtonRelease)
XUngrabPointer(dpy, CurrentTime);
}
}

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Nice :)

RiceMonster
June 6th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I've tried IceWM, JWM, wmii, E17, Fluxbox, and Openbox. Openbox is by far my favorite, followed by Fluxbox. I still want to try out Awesome, Window Maker, PekWM, and FVWM Crystal.

smartboyathome
June 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
E17 may be horrid at first, but great when customized. :D

-grubby
June 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
E17 may be horrid at first, but great when customized. :D

if anybody thinks E17 is horrid they should try E16. Gah I hated that..

MONODA
June 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
openbox for me. i also like dwm and wmii

urukrama
June 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
if anybody thinks E17 is horrid they should try E16. Gah I hated that..

I much prefer E16 over E17.

orengolan
June 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
dwm - http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm/

can't be faster than this:
"dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never exceed 2000 SLOC"

cardinals_fan
June 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
dwm - http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm/

can't be faster than this:
"dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never exceed 2000 SLOC"
2000 lines? TinyWM has 56!

With that said, I consider Xmonad and dwm to be the two best window managers.

kaiju
June 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
evilwm - another one in the lightweight cathegory
i've been using it for a few weeks now, never had any problems with it.
of the more full-featured window managers, i like fluxbox most.

x1a4
June 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM
DWM, simply brilliant!

Nice, but I find wmii to be better. :) Although not having window titles is one advantage dwm has over wmii.

LaRoza
June 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I have used wmii for a while, and just a few minutes ago started using xmonad. They aren't that different, and I can't say one is "better".

starcannon
June 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I prefer Fluxbox with Rox.

Just my preference, your mileage may vary.

msrinath80
June 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Window Maker, always :-)

jaybee99
July 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
No one mentioned windowlab yet, which surprises me. It's a very nice one in the lightweight category, well worth a look. Having said that, I switched to xmonad a year or two ago and would find it hard to switch back to a non-tiling wm now.

collinp
July 15th, 2008, 02:27 AM
For me, has to be either IceWM or Enlightenment.

AnLGP
July 15th, 2008, 02:29 AM
jwm or fluxbox

mrgnash
July 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'd have to say wmii...

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I'd have to say wmii...

So do I.

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'd have to say wmii...
You've been assimilated!

brunovecchi
July 15th, 2008, 03:35 AM
awesome window manager. Find it here. http://awesome.naquadah.org/

+1. I like awesome.

AnLGP
July 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
awesome was alright. i'm not used to tiling WMs but I think I could prob. get the hang of it.

Lord DarkPat
July 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Openbox

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
You've been assimilated!

Just wait until I figure out how to say that!

dizee
July 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Openbox
i concur.

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Just wait until I figure out how to say that!
...must...retain...control...of...mind... :)

|{urse
July 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Wow, you guys consider e17 lightweight?

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
...must...retain...control...of...mind... :)

प्रतिरोध व्यर्थ है

In reality, they aren't that different :-) I could use xmonad without any trouble (besides changing background colour) and it was essential wmii in use.

ryaxnb
July 15th, 2008, 06:02 AM
JWM, FLWM. Here's Why:

JWM: Xlib direct
JWM: Easy Interface
JWM: Nice taskbar
JWM: themable
JWM: Takes up ~3MB RAM
JWM: GNOME hints
JWM: Uses Debian Menu
Flwm: Uses Debian Menu
Flwm: Uses ~4.5MB RAM
Flwm: Handy one-direction maximize
Flwm: Neat widget setup
Flwm: Nostalgic

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Eck, I always hated the debian menu. It's so ugly and messy. I tried it in Fluxbox and Openbox (which I use now with Arch), and I much preferred to build the menu myself in both cases.

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM
JWM, FLWM. Here's Why:

TinyWM and Ratpoison are lighter :-)

I don't know how much DWM, wmii, and xmonad take up though, although I know wmii has less than 10000 lines of code and is the largest.

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Yeah, wmii was only 1 MB when I installed it. It's my favorite tiling wm now, but I still prefer to use Openbox. I can't get comfortable in a tiling wm :(.

ryaxnb
July 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Eck, I always hated the debian menu. It's so ugly and messy. I tried it in Fluxbox and Openbox (which I use now with Arch), and I much preferred to build the menu myself in both cases.

don't have the time

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah, wmii was only 1 MB when I installed it. It's my favorite tiling wm now, but I still prefer to use Openbox. I can't get comfortable in a tiling wm :(.

I can only be comfortable. You should see me in Windows/GNOME/KDE or whatever! Luckily, the keyboard shortcuts don't do anything special in those DE's so I don't do anything I can't undo.

ryaxnb
July 15th, 2008, 06:16 AM
TinyWM and Ratpoison are lighter :-)

I don't know how much DWM, wmii, and xmonad take up though, although I know wmii has less than 10000 lines of code and is the largest.
It's not about who's lightest it's about who's best. Best ultra-ultra-light? dwm. But I want a .conf file, Debian menu support, and a nice titlebar and taskbar, being a Windows convert, I'm used to those features, except the .conf file, which I'll grow in to. :D.

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM
It's not about who's lightest it's about who's best. Best ultra-ultra-light? dwm. But I want a .conf file, Debian menu support, and a nice titlebar and taskbar, being a Windows convert, I'm used to those features, except the .conf file, which I'll grow in to. :D.

I would consider those strikes against them to some. "Best" is too relative I think.

ryaxnb
July 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I would consider those strikes against them to some. "Best" is too relative I think.

Of course. "Best" for me, right now. :)

mrgnash
July 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
You've been assimilated!

My reprogramming has been thorough indeed :( I'm even using Opera :confused:

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Good. Now use Vim!

Dr Small
July 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Openbox. ;)

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
प्रतिरोध व्यर्थ है

In reality, they aren't that different :-) I could use xmonad without any trouble (besides changing background colour) and it was essential wmii in use.
I don't need to change the defaults with Xmonad, because they're perfect for me. Wmii has window titles, a weird little taskbar thingy, and a couple other "features" that I would need to turn off. And since when is changing the background the responsibility of the window manager? :)

That's fine; Opera is perfect. As is Vim :)

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Meh, Opera's alright. Firefox + vimperator is the way to go. What's better than a vim style web browser? :D

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I don't need to change the defaults with Xmonad, because they're perfect for me. Wmii has window titles, a weird little taskbar thingy, and a couple other "features" that I would need to turn off. And since when is changing the background the responsibility of the window manager? :)

I don't need to change the default of wmii. Ok, why did xmonad have a bright orange background? That was very annoying. It also didn't give a way to change it.

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I don't need to change the default of wmii. Ok, why did xmonad have a bright orange background? That was very annoying. It also didn't give a way to change it.
Eh? What distro is this on?

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Eh? What distro is this on?

Ubuntu.

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ubuntu.
Xmonad didn't set your wallpaper orange. It was made orange either a) by default, or b) by a login manager. Use a tool such as xsetroot, xsri (the best!), or feh to change it.

BTW, I just found a new WM to use. Xfce can be customized to be very lightweight, minimal, and keyboard-oriented, and I like the hybrid I've come up with.

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Xmonad didn't set your wallpaper orange. It was made orange either a) by default, or b) by a login manager. Use a tool such as xsetroot, xsri (the best!), or feh to change it.
At the time, I tried the "xsetroot" but it just made flickering snow instead of black.

BTW, I just found a new WM to use. Xfce can be customized to be very lightweight, minimal, and keyboard-oriented, and I like the hybrid I've come up with.
Traitor.

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Traitor.
Heh. I didn't really find tiling that useful (even though I thought that I did). I just appreciated the keyboard control available in most tiling WMs. My slimmed-down Xfce (which is more like Xfwm4 alone, because there are few remnants of the DE left) has the same keyboard-friendliness and works better with apps like the GIMP.

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Heh. I didn't really find tiling that useful (even though I thought that I did). I just appreciated the keyboard control available in most tiling WMs. My slimmed-down Xfce (which is more like Xfwm4 alone, because there are few remnants of the DE left) has the same keyboard-friendliness and works better with apps like the GIMP.

Ah, I use browser and terminals mostly, so tiling is important.

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Ah, I use browser and terminals mostly, so tiling is important.
My main apps are Opera, a tabbed terminal, Kphotoalbum, the GIMP, and Gnumeric. I very rarely open more than one of these in a workspace. So, what I need is easy workspace management. I can get that with Xfce or a tiling WM, and the GIMP tips me towards Xfce. I still like Xmonad though :)

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 01:50 AM
My main apps are Opera, a tabbed terminal, Kphotoalbum, the GIMP, and Gnumeric. I very rarely open more than one of these in a workspace. So, what I need is easy workspace management. I can get that with Xfce or a tiling WM, and the GIMP tips me towards Xfce. I still like Xmonad though :)

Opera (of course), and many terminals. Sometimes thunar (when I am not using mc) and vlc for the odd video.

RedSquirrel
July 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM

... and xfwm4 has fancy compositing. (Not a priority for me, but hey, some people like it.) :)

The last time I used Xfce, I found that it was somewhat limited in terms of what you could do with key bindings. Some of the defaults were not easily changed.

These days, I seem to be alternating between dwm and Openbox (dwm tonight, but all I did was watch The Best of Both Worlds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Both_Worlds_%28TNG_episode%29) with mplayer). There's something synergistic about watching Star Trek on a Linux box.

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
... and xfwm4 has fancy compositing. (Not a priority for me, but hey, some people like it.) :)

The last time I used Xfce, I found that it was somewhat limited in terms of what you could do with key bindings. Some of the defaults were not easily changed.

These days, I seem to be alternating between dwm and Openbox (dwm tonight, but all I did was watch The Best of Both Worlds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Both_Worlds_%28TNG_episode%29) with mplayer). There's something synergistic about watching Star Trek on a Linux box.
Xfce key bindings are very configurable :)

urukrama
July 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Xfce doesn't support keychains, though, does it? I've started using them in Openbox (and Pekwm) in the last few months, and they are absolutely great!

|{urse
July 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
wo0t! I thought i was the only one who swore by Opera's superiority (the program's better, idk about the ethos of the company) +1 to opera users ^^

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
wo0t! I thought i was the only one who swore by Opera's superiority (the program's better, idk about the ethos of the company) +1 to opera users ^^

http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=175

RedSquirrel
July 17th, 2008, 01:15 AM

True, but there was something about the key bindings that didn't work for me. It may have had something to do with workspaces, but it was a while ago now so the details are fuzzy... anyway, doesn't matter. :neutral:

cardinals_fan
July 17th, 2008, 04:31 AM
True, but there was something about the key bindings that didn't work for me. It may have had something to do with workspaces, but it was a while ago now so the details are fuzzy... anyway, doesn't matter. :neutral:
I know what it is! Most Xfce keybindings (for app launching) are changed (graphically, that is) through the keyboard window. They are controlled by xfce-mcs-manager, and do not depend on Xfwm. You can launch xfce-mcs-manager in Fluxbox or dwm and still have these settings work. That's what makes Xfce a DE rather than a WM (in my book anyway). Settings for Xfwm, on the other hand, are edited through the window manager settings window. This actually makes a lot of sense, because it makes the DE extremely modular. You can swap out the WM and know exactly which settings to change, because you can tell which settings depend on Xfwm.

urukrama
July 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM
cardinals_fan, will we get to see a screenshot of your bare xfce setup? I'm curious to see what you did with it. :)

I love XFCE too, and use it as my DE at work. I too like its modular approach!

Canis familiaris
July 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
IceWM

RedSquirrel
July 18th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I know what it is! Most Xfce keybindings (for app launching) are changed (graphically, that is) through the keyboard window. They are controlled by xfce-mcs-manager, and do not depend on Xfwm. You can launch xfce-mcs-manager in Fluxbox or dwm and still have these settings work. That's what makes Xfce a DE rather than a WM (in my book anyway). Settings for Xfwm, on the other hand, are edited through the window manager settings window. This actually makes a lot of sense, because it makes the DE extremely modular. You can swap out the WM and know exactly which settings to change, because you can tell which settings depend on Xfwm.

I'd really have to install Xfce to refresh my memory of the specific issue I was dealing with the last time I used it. I remember looking through the entire set of categories under Xfce's configuration, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

I have no plans to install Xfce in the near future. It's a great DE, but I simply don't require all of the stuff that comes with a DE. ;)

akiratheoni
July 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I tried wmii for awhile. I loved it but there were several issues that I wasn't able to figure out (for one, I couldn't find a for-dummies document... I read the documentation but I was still confused, and there was an issue with VirtualBox) so I switched back to Openbox.

LaRoza
July 18th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I tried wmii for awhile. I loved it but there were several issues that I wasn't able to figure out (for one, I couldn't find a for-dummies document... I read the documentation but I was still confused, and there was an issue with VirtualBox) so I switched back to Openbox.

Could you say what you had trouble with? Might be something simple.

cardinals_fan
July 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
cardinals_fan, will we get to see a screenshot of your bare xfce setup? I'm curious to see what you did with it. :)

I posted a pic in the .conkyrc thread along with my new conky config. Here's the link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5400157&postcount=2912).

Sorry that I haven't replied for a while - our ISP decided to "upgrade" the system without telling us - so I've had no internet access for three days.

I love XFCE too, and use it as my DE at work. I too like its modular approach!
From the Xfce home page:
Xfce 4.4 embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that together provide the full functionality of the desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick and choose from the available packages to create the best personal working environment.That says it all :)

cardinals_fan
July 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
*bump*

This was a good thread, I don't want it to die :)

Yes
July 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Does anybody still use those really old window managers, like CTWM or twm? I tried CTWM out just for fun, but I couldn't figure out how to close anything. It was really fast, though :) .

cardinals_fan
July 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Does anybody still use those really old window managers, like CTWM or twm? I tried CTWM out just for fun, but I couldn't figure out how to close anything. It was really fast, though :) .
I used twm for a week on a minimalist NetBSD install :)

RiceMonster
July 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I tried twm for a bit on a Slackware install. I didn't see much of an advantage to using it.

hessiess
July 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
DWM, dosn't waste screen space.

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
DWM, dosn't waste screen space.

Yes it does, try something like xmonad ;)

jaybee99
July 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Yes it does, try something like xmonad ;)
dwm is a tiling wm like xmonad that adds no furniture to windows, no? What are you on about?

RiceMonster
July 24th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I guess he's talking about the bar/panel dwm has. Xmonad doesn't have one of those, and no window decorations, which dwm doesn't have either.

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I guess he's talking about the bar/panel dwm has. Xmonad doesn't have one of those, and no window decorations, which dwm doesn't have either.
Correct.
dwm contains a small status bar which displays all available tags, the layout, the title of the focused window, and text read from standard input

mysticrider92
July 24th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I tried twm for a bit on a Slackware install. I didn't see much of an advantage to using it.

I find it useful when installing Gentoo. When I don't feel like waiting all night for Gnome to compile, X11+TWM gets a usable environment up in about 1.5 hours on my computer.

Personally, I don't regularly use any really lightweight window manager. I like to play around with them occasionally, just to try something different, but I prefer a full-featured (read: without a terminal where possible) desktop.

NullHead
July 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I find it useful when installing Gentoo. When I don't feel like waiting all night for Gnome to compile, X11+TWM gets a usable environment up in about 1.5 hours on my computer.

Personally, I don't regularly use any really lightweight window manager. I like to play around with them occasionally, just to try something different, but I prefer a full-featured (read: without a terminal where possible) desktop.

You should try wmii. It's the best light weight WM I've used! Very powerful.

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM
dwm is a tiling wm like xmonad that adds no furniture to windows, no? What are you on about?

The little bar :-) xmonad has no title bar or panels.

You should try wmii. It's the best light weight WM I've used! Very powerful.

I used wmii and switched to xmonad recently. They are the same in use, with minor differences.

hessiess
July 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
dwm contains a small status bar which displays all available tags, the layout, the title of the focused window, and text read from standard input

which can be hidden using alt+b or completly removed by editing the source.

static Bool showbar = True; /* False means no bar */

jman6495
July 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
the fastest window manager i know is JWM

stanca
August 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
The best window manager is the one you like the most and works in the best way for you.I'm using and voting for E17 and Fluxbox.Rarely over 5% from cpu and ram.8-)

Mark76
August 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
OroboROX (the window manager for the ROX desktop) uses only 0.5% of RAM on my system.

Not sure if it works outside a ROX environment though :(

ThaDoctor99
August 3rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
to me any *box is great, I have played with a lot of different things, for laptops I really dig ratpoison, that is really good at what it is made for, that is keyboard control if you just like emacs already that makes it even better. Well else I have fooled around with Enlightenment, but I really did not like that, with eye candy I think something like fvwm-crystal is great.
My absolute favorite will have to be either openbox or ratpoison. (depending on whether it is a laptop or stationary I am working on.) However I still use gnome all the time, I have set up openbox so that I really like the look of it. But need some small things for making it work really good.

But I really dig *box.
Fluxbox is suddenly also a very nice alternative.

gypsumwolf
September 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I do not like: XFCE or Thunar.

I use: Openbox + feh + fbpanel. I do not use a "Desktop Environment".

stanca
October 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
That who likes you the most!;)