PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a client-server coding environment...

Paul Bramscher
September 8th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Here's my situation: I'm a professional LAMP coder, and just switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu as my development box and do work on a big Solaris server. What's a good arrangement for coding PHP?

* My PHP programs are big (like 30,000+ lines). vi is the stone age -- I need something more modern.
* I need a full GUI with cut-and-paste at the bare minimum.
* I need PHP syntax highlighting.
* I don't want to be goofing around with command-line sftp/scp to move things back and forth.
* I can't make changes to the Solaris config, and the sysadmin probably won't do anything to help me.

Here's what I've come up with:
You can go into Konqueror on KDE and type "sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to open a connection to a remote server. Or you can use Kate and open a file by typing "sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to its location.

Anyone else have thoughts? Remember my restrictions above.

-Paul Bramscher

vasdee
September 8th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I recommend SCREEM as the IDE of choice, sounds like it will have everything you need. Maybe consider bluefish too, i've come across a few bugs with the current package of screem (version 0.12) and i think bluefish might be more stable.

I personally mount my remote filesystems (with gnome) and work directly to the remote server - saving the project files and everything to the server- Screem handles this very well.

The other option is setup a local mysql-php setup and do all dev locally then when you are ready you can upload the files to the remote server - again screem does this well.

Paul Bramscher
September 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I recommend SCREEM as the IDE of choice, sounds like it will have everything you need. Maybe consider bluefish too, i've come across a few bugs with the current package of screem (version 0.12) and i think bluefish might be more stable.

I personally mount my remote filesystems (with gnome) and work directly to the remote server - saving the project files and everything to the server- Screem handles this very well.

The other option is setup a local mysql-php setup and do all dev locally then when you are ready you can upload the files to the remote server - again screem does this well.

How do you mount a remote file system (for example, a Red Hat box) with Ubuntu? I try something in a format like this:

mkdir {some mount point}
mount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/myaccount /{some mount point}

And get this complaint:
mount: RPC: Program not registered

Shen
September 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
* My PHP programs are big (like 30,000+ lines). vi is the stone age -- I need something more modern.
* I need a full GUI with cut-and-paste at the bare minimum.

I don't know why you don't want a vi-like editor when vim does all you ask for; you could use one of the GUIficated ones such as gvim or kvim (which have menus and toolbar buttons and lovely stuff like that)

You can go into Konqueror on KDE and type "sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to open a connection to a remote server. Or you can use Kate and open a file by typing "sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to its location.

Vim can do this: ":e sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it will open up the connection and file for you.

LordHunter317
September 8th, 2005, 09:23 PM
How do you mount a remote file system (for example, a Red Hat box) with Ubuntu? I try something in a format like this:

mkdir {some mount point}
mount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/myaccount /{some mount point}

And get this complaint:
mount: RPC: Program not registeredThat means the remote system isn't running NFS. What filesystem does it use to export shares?

Daniel G. Taylor
September 9th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Your current solution doesn't seem to conflict with any of your listed restrictions...

What exactly don't you like about Konq + Kate? (or Nautilus + Gedit for GNOME users like me) Are you asking for a different editor? A better way to access the files on the server?

Paul Bramscher
September 9th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Your current solution doesn't seem to conflict with any of your listed restrictions...

What exactly don't you like about Konq + Kate? (or Nautilus + Gedit for GNOME users like me) Are you asking for a different editor? A better way to access the files on the server?

For instance, KDevelop will complain if you try to open a non-local file with the method I explained above. A regular mount should render that transparent, and all applications will be able to talk to it, command-line scripts, etc.

But I found something interesting with KDE just yesterday -- just add a "Network Folder" via Konqueror and the "fish" protocol. I think KDevelop still complains when opening a distant file, but it seems to offer more functionality than just making a bookmark to an sftp location.

In Konqueror, type "remote:/" or else click the "System" icon in the taskbar, and then "Remote Places". Kate is happy with it. But if you're using Bluefish, the file-open dialog doesn't seem to allow for that protocol. So, again, a mount would be superior. To open a file with Bluefish, you need to first establish a network folder with Konqueror, then right-click it or set up the file extension so that Bluefish is happy with it, but you can't open distant files remotely with Bluefish's own file-open dialog -- at least not that I found.