PDA

View Full Version : Programming with a laptop?

roberto22085
December 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I am looking into buying a new PC. One thing I will be doing on the new PC is doing some programming (ATM I am teaching myself Perl). I would like to be able to take my computer with me where I go. So obviously I have to consider a laptop. I have never owned a laptop and have used very few for more than a couple of minutes. My question is, is programming on a laptop less comfortable than using a desktop PC with a 'regular' keyboard?? What are the pros/cons to programming on a laptop vs. a desktop...if there are any!?!?

Thanks in advance!

sloggerkhan
December 7th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I program on my laptop for school fairly often. I have an acer with a slightly curved laptop keyboard, which I find is quite nice. Of course, I now hate regular keyboards, and I'm not sure of what the long term ergonomic impact will be.

I usually use it at a desk hooked up to an external display, and I find programming a fair bit slower when only using the laptop screen instead of both screens.

My opinion is that having 2 displays makes more of an impact that what keyboard.

However, I am barely a programmer at all, so my advice might not be the best.

carl.alv
December 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
In my experience I do not find any advantages/disadvantages when programing in laptops. For me the keyboard has to be really uncomfortable to really notice the difference. Now off course some people need big screens to work, in that case buy one with at least 15' and IMHO you'll be fine ;).

public_void
December 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I need a second monitor when programming, mainly to check definitions and read man pages. I prefer my laptop keyboard because I'm used to the compact layout. But really its personal preference with regards to your setup, what ever suits you best.

rzrgenesys187
December 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
IMHO I would much rather program on a desktop. I would actually rather do anything computer related on a desktop but the portability of a laptop is fantastic. Like he said above it is really personal preference and you could always use your current computer if you are near it, and your laptop everywhere else.

pedro_orange
December 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I have to agree with the chaps here, it's all about personal preferance.
I spent 4 years at university with a laptop as my main machine for all my programming. It wasn't that bad, but since it was only a 15" monitor, let's just say it would be very tiring reading and typing.

It was good for taking to my classmate's houses for team projects and so on. Taking to the library etc. But now I've finished uni and doing development as a career, I only develop on desktops for my comfort's sake. I take my laptop out to site to deploy packages if needed, otherwise I keep well clear.

pmasiar
December 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM
laptop is OK (you know that Dell makes ubuntu laptops, right?) but for programming I prefer 2 big screens, having only 1 screen, desktop or laptop, slows me down.

On laptop, I also prefer to use regular mouse. Saves half-seconds all the time. :-)

CptPicard
December 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I prefer to learn to use keyboard shortcuts mostly so the mouse is not that big of an issue, but for me the screen is, particular if I'm using an IDE. You just can't fit an IDE on anything less than 1600x1200 and at least 19", IMO.

The laptop keyboard is cramped and its biggest shortcoming is the fact that some of the special keys and characters are in weird places, with non-standard key sizes etc. In programming you need to be producing lots of weird characters, using all sorts of key combinations (at least on my Finnish keyboard, not sure if things are easier on the English one), so you just constantly struggle with that until you rewire your brain for how your laptop works.

ThinkBuntu
December 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
An older ThinkPad with the SVGA (1450xsomething) would be a developer's dream machine. I personally don't trust the new Lenovo ThinkPads, but they're still probably the best consumer laptops available. A ThinkPad keyboard is more comfortable than most desktop keyboards.

Vadi
December 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
An older ThinkPad with the SVGA (1450xsomething) would be a developer's dream machine. I personally don't trust the new Lenovo ThinkPads, but they're still probably the best consumer laptops available. A ThinkPad keyboard is more comfortable than most desktop keyboards.

Completely agree with ThinkBuntu. On a T40 myself.

darxoul
December 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Although it is mostly personal preference I would suggest a docking station and a monitor with a laptop if you could afford that. I use this combination at work, so you neither have the burden of a possibly uncomfortable keyboard (+monitor) and you are still mobile. On the other hand at home I don't have the docking station + monitor combination and it causes some back ache time to time if it is too long hours in front of laptop.

Laptop + Docking Station + Monitor (+ Keyboard) (+ Mouse)

No real difference from an ordinary desktop except it will possibly more silent.

kretara
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I have been programming on laptops for years.

I currently have 3 laptops that I use for programming
Apple Powerbook -- OS X
Thinkpad x24 -- Ubuntu
Compaq nc6400 -- windows

The first two I use for my personal programming. The Compaq (what a piece of crap this laptop is) is supplied by my very cheap employer and is my main "work" machine.

Most of the time I have a second monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up to whichever laptop I am using.

I used to use desktops only, but being able to take my code with me and code anywhere is just too valuable to me.

Majorix
December 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Programming with a laptop isn't much different from coding with a desktop. You mentioned something about the keyboards, but who uses the keypad when programming? I don't think they are absolutely necessary.

I stick to my laptop usually, while I use my desktop for mainly gaming under Windows.

aks44
December 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
who uses the keypad when programming?

Many people don't use a QWERTY keyboard........................

Majorix
December 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
You mean they use a Dvorak keyboard or something? I haven't seen one of those, ever; but if you say it is widely used...