PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for paid support?

floppy
September 7th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I've been trying for a few weeks now (when I have the time) to get my Ubuntu installation finished. My network interface (on an Asus K8NE-Deluxe) is apparently not setup properly. I have not been able to get this solved online. I need to find someone in the US who can tweak my installation and get the darm thing working.

Any recommendations? (outfits/people you've actually used, please)

aysiu
September 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Ubuntu itself offers paid tech support:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/supportoptions/paidsupport/

Honestly, though, just try another distro.

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Ubuntu itself offers paid tech support:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/supportoptions/paidsupport/

I must add that that paid support comes straight from the developers.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Can't get rid of me that easy :)

Seriously, I've tried several. All have had problems of varied natures. I have a goodly number of systems and I want to standardize on Ubuntu. All I have to do is get it to work.

I was kind of hoping for a bit more than Canonical's support, primarily because of how long support issues can take to resolve by email. Plus their phone support is very pricey ($250) and I suppose requires overseas calling. I'm not complaining, just commenting.

Anyone have any experience with support alternatives in the US?

lao_V
September 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Have you looked here at the MarketPlace (http://www.ubuntu.com/support/supportoptions/marketplace/northernamerica)
There is one in Atlanta,Georgia called EmperorLinux

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Have you looked here at the MarketPlace (http://www.ubuntu.com/support/supportoptions/marketplace/northernamerica)
There is one in Atlanta,Georgia called EmperorLinux

Yes, I did look there. Unfortunately that outfit supports their hardware only.

Anyone have any actual experience with any paid support?

lao_V
September 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I think if you are looking for paid support then the prices quoted on Ubuntu site are quite reasonable when comparing it with what others distributors charge.

Another option for you might be to contact your local LUG and see if there are any techies who can help you out?

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I think if you are looking for paid support then the prices quoted on Ubuntu site are quite reasonable when comparing it with what others distributors charge.

As I said, I'm not complaining! I'm just looking for quicker, more local support.

The only local group currently is a group of college students about 40 miles from home. I'm sure they wouldn't want some over-50 n00b hanging around. Plus I'm not even at home at the moment; I'm doing hurricane relief. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

lao_V
September 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
As I said, I'm not complaining! I'm just looking for quicker, more local support.

The only local group currently is a group of college students about 40 miles from home. I'm sure they wouldn't want some over-50 n00b hanging around. Plus I'm not even at home at the moment; I'm doing hurricane relief. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

The quickest (mostly) form of support I've found so far is the IRC. Maybe they should do a paid version of IRC.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Paid IRC would be a nice way to go. I haven't had any luck there connecting with anyone who could help. I just don't have the time to hang out waiting.

joker
September 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I have a cheap solution for you, my sister's comp had a similar issue, my solution was to slap in a different network card and viola, Ubuntu recognized it and all was well. Might be worth your money, for under $15 you can be done with it. Just be sure to check compatability before you buy.

lao_V
September 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Usually I've found IRC to be very quick and effective. However, in your case I'm sure you've got better things to do then hang around on IRC. Wish you all the best with all your relief efforts. I hope you are well appreciated :)

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I'm supervising a materials distribution point, which means at the moment I'm drinking coffee and waiting for the next group of truckers to show up. Not a lot of appreciation here because we're not on the "front lines", but I know there's a lot of folks out there thanking us silently. That's all we need to keep going. :)

KingBahamut
September 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
http://gwos.org

Small plug.

auburn
September 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Hummm. I actually don't see this as as much a problem. They *might* be a group of "1337 hax0rs" (elite hackers) but college lugs are also people looking for job possibilities and real-world challenges. I think it wouldn't hurt to ask them... In fact they might even see the problems as on "their turf". & besides, if they're getting paid good money, who cares if you're over 50 and a complete n00b.

GeneralZod
September 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I have a cheap solution for you, my sister's comp had a similar issue, my solution was to slap in a different network card and viola, Ubuntu recognized it and all was well. Might be worth your money, for under $15 you can be done with it. Just be sure to check compatability before you buy.

I'd second this - you get the added bonus of having it "Just Work" if you choose it correctly. If you have a laptop, xircom do a very nice PCMCIA ethernet/ 56k thingummy that is small and neat and can be gotten reasonably cheaply on eBay (I got one for £10 here in the UK) - now, no matter which laptop I buy, I need never worry about getting the modem working again!

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM
if they're getting paid good money, who cares if you're over 50 and a complete n00b.

Ok, I'll confess the real reason why I'm not contacting them. I've heard from several sources locally that the Atlanta Linux group, which is what I referred to in my prior post, is highly political. I fit the profile they don't like, unfortunately. :|

Personally, I'm able to separate a need for assistance from a desire to preach. I also prefer to avoid those kind of fruitless conflicts.

KingBahamut
September 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thats why I was trying to get a LUG together in the area. Too many of the people Ive converted are just normal people. Not activists, not UberGeeks, just normal run of the mill people trying to get used to Linux.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 05:24 PM
And thanks for the switching the hardware suggestions, folks.

Been there. Didn't work. I admit I only tried 3 of my machines, but why beat a dead horse. There's something fundamentally wrong somewhere, I just don't know where.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Thats why I was trying to get a LUG together in the area.

I hope you haven't given up on it! I do believe, despite all the problems I've had, that Ubuntu will be the premiere distro for the desktop. It'd be good to have a local group.

ps: who's involved with the website you posted? There's no info on the company/group.

KingBahamut
September 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Me.
=)

joker
September 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
You have tried to install Ubuntu on all three machines and the network card is not recognized by any of them? And these are 3 different network cards? also how are you detecting that your network is not functioning properly? Network ping fails, error message, trying lo load web pages, etc... are you using a router and what type of internet service do you have? DSL, Cable, T1 line , etc...

This sounds very odd indeed.

rjwood
September 8th, 2005, 07:19 PM
sounds to me like all kinds of reasons not to fix the problem. Sorry to say

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM
And thanks for the switching the hardware suggestions, folks.

Been there. Didn't work. I admit I only tried 3 of my machines, but why beat a dead horse. There's something fundamentally wrong somewhere, I just don't know where.

I must tell you though...as an Ubuntu veteran I still find this the cheapest way to solve problems.

If a piece of hardware won't work in Ubuntu or any other Linux distro paid support won't help much. If the drivers don't exist it will cost you a lot to pay a nerd to make some.

But buying hardware that works to replace hardware that doesn't.....thats the easy way. I call it "the true cost of Linux."

Here is a good guide here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport?highlight=%28hardware%29

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 08:52 PM
This sounds very odd indeed.

It not only sounds odd, it is odd. And it's more than 3 machines I've had trouble with. The only thing they have in common is that they are all Asus motherboards. None of them are the same model.

I think getting into further details of what's been tried is getting off the track of this thread. Thanks anyway.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 08:52 PM
sounds to me like all kinds of reasons not to fix the problem. Sorry to say

I don't follow what you're saying, sorry.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I must tell you though...as an Ubuntu veteran I still find this the cheapest way to solve problems.

There's no motherboards listed in the wiki. I suspect, however, that someone else in the world is actually successfully running at least one of the models of Asus boards I've tried :) Therefore, I'm tempted to look for help.

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Me.
=)

I'll give you a call once I get back home, unless of course a miracle happens and I find the problem! :grin: