PDA

View Full Version : Comcast covering? Or can this actually happening?

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM
well I've been having random quick shutdown of my internet. But it only happens for a little bit. I called comcast and they said it was 'cause of me downloading torrents. It overloads something in in the router we have. I was just wondering if that actually happens?

LaRoza
December 7th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Comcast has been limiting torrents, look it up on google, I am sure you will get the full story there.

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I know that. I get horrid upload speeds. But my internet shuts down when I'm not evening running torrents.

hanzomon4
December 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I've had my internet die as well after heavy downloading, bellsouth(at&t now?). Strange thing is the router shows that I'm connected to the internet and my network traffic monitor showed that every few minutes my computer would have dl and ul traffic but I couldn't even ping google! Strange...

misfitpierce
December 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM
It does actually happen. If they see torrent traffic they purge your connection resetting peers etc. Try changing default port and using encryption.

Also if they have seen it recently they may just send a random purge here and there to make sure until they see it no more. Possibility I suppose.

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I've had my internet die as well after heavy downloading, bellsouth(at&t now?). Strange thing is the router shows that I'm connected to the internet and my network traffic monitor showed that every few minutes my computer would have dl and ul traffic but I couldn't even ping google! Strange... Woah! Sounds like the same thing that is happening to me. It must being torrents overloading something in the router. Though I can't remember what it is. I THINK it was a cache or something like it.

chris_nava
December 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
It's quite possible to overheat your home router when pushing large amounts of data. This is especially true for WiFi routers. Check the temperature of your router. If it's hot to the touch put a small desk fan to blow on it. This should lower it's temp and make it more stable. Also, check out your torrent settings and look for a "maximum upload rate" setting. Tune this to about 25Kb/s for cable modem to avoid overwhelming your router.

-grubby
December 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I know this doesn't really help you, but I found this satire article written by MaximumPC to be pretty funny http://www.maximumpc.com/article/comcast_filtering_for_profit_a_three_phase_plan_to _right_size_consumer_bandwidth

n3tfury
December 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
It's quite possible to overheat your home router when pushing large amounts of data. This is especially true for WiFi routers. Check the temperature of your router. If it's hot to the touch put a small desk fan to blow on it. This should lower it's temp and make it more stable. Also, check out your torrent settings and look for a "maximum upload rate" setting. Tune this to about 25Kb/s for cable modem to avoid overwhelming your router.

yep. blithen, when you power cycle your router/modem does the net come back?

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
yep. blithen, when you power cycle your router/modem does the net come back?

When I pull the power from the router it comes back on.

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Funny thing is: I use comcast, and I don't have any trouble with torrents (I actually have downloaded almost all my isos using torrents). I think it is because I use a linksys router though.

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Funny thing is: I use comcast, and I don't have any trouble with torrents (I actually have downloaded almost all my isos using torrents). I think it is because I use a linksys router though. I use linksys >_>
And you guys are over thinking it. It's my router, not comcast.
It probably over heats or something.

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
What model of linksys router do you use? Mine is a WRT54G version 6.

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I have the same one.

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Weird, I don't know why mine would run beautifullly while yours wouldn't. Mine has been on for several months now, btw, and hasn't shut off on me or overheated. It could be yours did, though.

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Weird, I don't know why mine would run beautifullly while yours wouldn't. Mine has been on for several months now, btw, and hasn't shut off on me or overheated. It could be yours did, though.
Yeah. I did A LOT of torrenting lately. (Got onto a private site again :D)
So yeah it probably overheated.

Nekiruhs
December 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I know this doesn't really help you, but I found this satire article written by MaximumPC to be pretty funny http://www.maximumpc.com/article/comcast_filtering_for_profit_a_three_phase_plan_to _right_size_consumer_bandwidth
Lol! It was made even funnier because in my speed reading of it, I dropped the gerund satire the first time round and just read "know doesn't help, article MaximumPc link". Lol. I thought it was serious at first. Then at about the $3275 for BitTorrent mark I figured it was satire. D'oh, I should stop speed reading on forums. :lolflag: