PDA

View Full Version : I feel odd

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM
The start of this thread is my 666th post. Quick, someone respond to it , so I can get rid of the bad luck.

CTSLICK
September 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM
The start of this thread is my 666th post. Quick, someone respond to it , so I can get rid of the bad luck.
may it be gone!

BWF89
September 7th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Me posting won't change your number of posts.

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM
No but I can reply to a post that has nothing to do with support, ergo dodging any mysitcal karma associated with that number.

Phew,
thanks.

WirelessMike
September 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM
may it be gone!
How awful! Quick-- Tell us what New Orleans celebrity is currently living with LSU starting quarterback, Jamarcus Russell?

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 10:58 PM
The only Louisianan I know of is Bobby Hebert (pronounce Hee-bert, right?), and hes old and washed up.

WirelessMike
September 7th, 2005, 11:00 PM
The only Louisianan I know of is Bobby Hebert (pronounce Hee-bert, right?), and hes old and washed up.
Pronounced "A-BARE"

And yeah, washed up at this point.

The celebrity I'm referring to, though, is Fats Domino. After he was rescued, Russell put him up at his house in Baton Rouge.

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Pronounced "A-BARE"

And yeah, washed up at this point.

The celebrity I'm referring to, though, is Fats Domino. After he was rescued, Russell put him up at his house in Baton Rouge.
How do you get A-Bare from Hebert ?

its gotta be Hee-Bert. =)

WirelessMike
September 7th, 2005, 11:07 PM
How do you get A-Bare from Hebert ?

its gotta be Hee-Bert. =)
Now that's just unkind!

I don't know why they pronounce these names so funny-- Some kinda french cajun thing. Like Thibodeaux, Landreneau and Breaux Bridge. Lots of names like that here. It's not uncommon to hear some old southern Louisianian pronounce Robert "RO-BARE"
:)

CTSLICK
September 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Now that's just unkind!

I don't know why they pronounce these names so funny-- Some kinda french cajun thing. Like Thibodeaux, Landreneau and Breaux Bridge. Lots of names like that here. It's not uncommon to hear some old southern Louisianian pronounce Robert "RO-BARE"
Gotta be the French influence? Look at the Canadians, how do you spell it Roy and end up saying "wah"?

Kvark
September 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
"OMG!!! 1t's 666!!! i7 R th4 B3@Z+z0r!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:"

*sigh* :roll:

skoal
September 7th, 2005, 11:49 PM
KingB, I feel your pain. When I hit that number on other distro forums I just stand upside down, type something irrelevant with my toes, hit submit, admire my 999th post, and look quickly for another thread to post to...

\\//_

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 12:42 AM

There is a great cajun food place near me called Hebert's. I remember it as "a bear's."

WirelessMike
September 8th, 2005, 01:02 AM
There is a great cajun food place near me called Hebert's. I remember it as "a bear's."
My favorite cajun cuisine is at Mulate's in Breaux Bridge (just east of Lafayette). If you ever find yourself near Lafayette, you must try the "Catfish Mulates" at Mulate's. It's grilled catfish drenched in a crawfish etouffee. Mouth watering just thinking about it.

http://www.mulates.com/

There's a location in New Orleans, but you won't be visiting that one for a while.

veratyr
September 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Why would that be bad luck?

qalimas
September 8th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Now that's just unkind!

I'm almost as far south in Louisiana as it gets, in the heart of Calcasieu, I've never heard Robert pronounced that way. This is coming from someone with Thibodeaux as a last name ;) My grandma's last name is Hebert, and yes, it is pronounced 'a bare'.

I remember when a northern friend nicknamed me Thibby, and said it with the h, it's one of those thigns you had to be there for, but it's really funny when someone mispronounces your name so badly XD

[/random nonsense ramble]

WirelessMike
September 8th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I'm almost as far south in Louisiana as it gets, in the heart of Calcasieu, I've never heard Robert pronounced that way.

I should probably have added "in jest" to that. The only times I've heard it, it was usually some old-timer havin' a little fun with Robert, a guy I used to work with. Typically, it was Mr. Broussard that would call him that (he's from Cecilia, but lives in Breaux Bridge). He'd laugh and then call him Rob. He didn't come up to my town very often, so it's easy to remember stuff like that about him.

(I don't mind calling him "Mr. Broussard" online-- You know there's at least a thousand Broussards in south Louisiana)

KingBahamut
September 8th, 2005, 01:50 AM
So really, its not Hee-bert then....ok....I was sure it was.
=)

weekend warrior
September 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM
What a shame it seems la langue de Molière is dying off or already moribund in Louisiana. It was one of the things that made it so distinctive in a land plagued by indistinctiveness. Welcome Loiusiana, to Anywhereville, USA.

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 08:36 AM
What a shame it seems la langue de Molière is dying off or already moribund in Louisiana. It was one of the things that made it so distinctive in a land plagued by indistinctiveness. Welcome Loiusiana, to Anywhereville, USA.

Crawfish boils. You can never take away the crawfish boils.

N'Jal
September 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
666 isn't bad luck, it is simply the number of the best in he biblical book revalation, it's name is unknown by man but is represented by the number 666. If you think it will be bad luck it will be, much the same as if you think walking under ladders is bad luck it will be, i walked under a ladder the other day, and I am fine, i was infact rather lucky that day. Almost had a rusty nail go through my finger, but it only pierced my first skin layer. Didn't actually draw any blood. So I'm fine.

xmastree
September 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Walking under a ladder isn't bad luck, it's just a bad idea since someone might be up there and drop something on you. Likewise passing on stairs, could be dangerous.

As for the 666 thing, I heard it wasn't the number 666, but 6^6^6 which if calculated and written on paper would cause the paper to catch fire. Maybe if you wrote it with a match...

N'Jal
September 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
As for the 666 thing, I heard it wasn't the number 666, but 6^6^6

Read revalations, the 666 thing is in there. I'm not supersticious, in any away, my family pass each other on stairs all the time.

WirelessMike
September 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
The "number of the beast" is in Revelations 13:17-18

primeirocrime
September 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM
can't wait for my 666 post. Maybe I'll see the devil or have a beer.

Kvark
September 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM
can't wait for my 666 post. Maybe I'll see the devil or have a beer.
Well, you survivded post 13 so why not. And when you reach 1337 then you'll be soo cool.

But even though I think the number hype is worn out, kinda childish, very worn out, a bit overdone and also worn out by now... There is one interesting thing about 666. The Bible says that you won't be able to buy or sell anything without the number of the beast. Almost everything in the stores today is barcoded. The first, middle and last sign in all barcodes is two thin lines, that sign stands for the number 6. So the number of the beast is indeed on almost everything we buy and sell today.

skoal
September 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
So the number of the beast is indeed on almost everything we buy and sell today.
Nope. Read carefully where that passage says that mark will be. Wait for the RFID's to be implanted into your forehead or hand when currency becomes impractical, through Anthrax contamination, global marketization, or otherwise. I don't plan on being here when it does...

\\//_

DancingSun
September 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Didn't Oxford recently found out that the number is not "666", but in fact, "616"? And that the number of the beast had nothing to do with the devil, but instead, a numerical puzzle in Greek that is meant to refer to a name, possibily the Roman emperor Nero?

Be not afraid of 666. :grin:

Reference:
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/11134

MetalMusicAddict
September 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Dude. If you were Metal, this would be a good thing. http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/punk.gif

KingBahamut
September 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Dude. If you were Metal, this would be a good thing. http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/punk.gif
I knew an Iron Maiden fan would have to chime in at some point, who can resist a number of the beast post?

Ujontu
January 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM

You'll never get rid of the number 666 as long as you're using Ubuntu. The Ubuntu logo means 666 in Maya numerals. Look it up.:D