PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my printer working when it does not have driver for linux ?

LinuxTryOut
December 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
How do I get my printer working when it is not listed in ubuntu driver database ?

I am having hard time to get my old printer working since i can't find the driver for Ubuntu.

rsambuca
December 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Might help if you told us what it is. Although some of them are, most of the forum community members are not psychic.

Seti
December 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Why is it that I feel a thread about Canon printers coming on???

;)

SuperMike
December 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM
My advice for a Linux noob:

* Avoid Canon or Lexmark printers (except the high-end Canon ones that emulate everything). Yes, I know they're cheap. Yes, I know it would be cool and seems reasonable that Linux support them, but, alas, I see no support.

* Stick with HP printers, primarily, and check compatibility on the printer compatibility list (http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Anyone). And my experience has shown that postscript printers get the greatest support.

* On high-end systems used in offices, your best bet is postscript printers. I've also found that I can get Canon ImageRunners to work by using the Postscript driver for an HP 5MP and the thing emulates it perfectly.

Last, if you haven't updated your Ubuntu to the latest stable version, consider doing this in order to get the best printer compatibility.

rsambuca
December 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM

* Avoid Canon or Lexmark printers (except the high-end Canon ones that emulate everything). Yes, I know they're cheap. Yes, I know it would be cool and seems reasonable that Linux support them, but, alas, I see no support.

It is actually Canon and Lexmark that don't support Linux. Not the other way around.

Ocxic
December 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
look for a program callled turbo print it's cost about 30 or you could download load it from the right places..

that should allow you to get the drivers for your printer, i used it for my cannon i560 until now.
works great.

Steveway
December 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Here is the repository I use for my unsupported Printer.
It uses some modified drivers that came with Canon-printers somewhere in asia.
You can use Turboprint, www.turboprint.de, wich is commercial and costs money.
Or you can add this to your sources.list:
deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./
It works for my Canon IP Pixma something.

rsambuca
December 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Why doesn't everyone just wait until we find out what printer it is. These posts may be completely unnecessary and just confuse matters if it is a different printer.

popch
December 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM

* Stick with HP printers, primarily, and check compatibility on the printer compatibility list (http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Anyone). And my experience has shown that postscript printers get the greatest support.

* On high-end systems used in offices, your best bet is postscript printers. I've also found that I can get Canon ImageRunners to work by using the Postscript driver for an HP 5MP and the thing emulates it perfectly.

Last, if you haven't updated your Ubuntu to the latest stable version, consider doing this in order to get the best printer compatibility.

Also, check Dell printers. Some of them explicitly list Linux as supporting the device. Decent speed and costs as well, for some models.

Spr0k3t
December 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
If you get a laser printer, find one with really good postscript support and you can't go wrong. Check against the information on http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting though just in case.

yatt
December 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
It is actually Canon and Lexmark that don't support Linux. Not the other way around.Either way, the printer doesn't work.

Also, what happened to reverse engineering drivers?