PDA

View Full Version : Apple makes a new gadget...

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM
As expected Apple has unveiled a gadget that combines its hugely popular iPod music player with a mobile phone.

Announced by Apple boss Steve Jobs the device will be able to store about 100 songs and play them out randomly like the iPod Shuffle.

-snip-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4223938.stm

Thoughts?

xequence
September 7th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I dont like ipods, I dont like cell phones, I dont like iTunes, I wont like that :P

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I dont like ipods, I dont like cell phones, I dont like iTunes, I wont like that :P
We're in the same boat bro :) .

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I like my iPod, but if I had to use iTunes to put songs on it the thing would have been on ebay a year ago.

The problem with iTunes is that it assumes you are an idiot.

mrtaber
September 7th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I have a nice 40Gig 3rd generation iPod. Then I discovered Ogg and FLAC. I'm committed enough to those formats now that I've ripped and encoded over 400 of my CDs into those formats. My iPod gathers dust, while I use my iAudio U2 to play the Ogg files. Now, if only Apple would play ogg...

But, I do really, really like the iPod nano. However...no ogg, no nano for me.

Mark :)

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I like my iPod, but if I had to use iTunes to put songs on it the thing would have been on ebay a year ago.
What do you use to put songs on it?

The problem with iTunes is that it assumes you are an idiot.
Well, it's from apple, so not surprised, but isn't that a good thing?

Every time programmers try to make bigger, better and more idiot-proof applications, the universe makes bigger and better idiots.
/don't know who said that...
//i don't remember the exact words...

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I have a nice 40Gig 3rd generation iPod. Then I discovered Ogg and FLAC. I'm committed enough to those formats now that I've ripped and encoded over 400 of my CDs into those formats. My iPod gathers dust, while I use my iAudio U2 to play the Ogg files. Now, if only Apple would play ogg...

But, I do really, really like the iPod nano. However...no ogg, no nano for me.

Mark :)
nano? I'm waiting for an iPod vi

bored2k
September 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM
/me agrees.

The problem with iTunes is that it assumes you are an idiot.LMAO howcome?

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM
My Creative Zen Micro and my Nokia 6600 are more than enough for me... I don't need to answer mobile phones and play mp3s at the same time...
Plus apple is always overpriced...
And caps at 100 songs... bleh!

Of course Apple won't play .ogg, it is almost worse than Ms in this department.

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
considered response:

Apple wins again in the form-factor wars. This thing is as slim as a poker hand, all stacked together.

My standard gripe applies, however: it doesn't play OGG, and thus it is a clever tool for locking you into apple's iTunes/iTMS/DRM'd environment.

cnayak
September 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4223938.stm

Thoughts?

Nokia had launched a similar product NX-somethiing- and that too with 4gb hdd and pda functionality - a month or two ago.

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Nokia had launched a similar product NX-somethiing- and that too with 4gb hdd and pda functionality - a month or two ago.
yeah, but it's not an iPOD!!!

seriously. the market goes wild for this sort of thing. milky-white, smooth, and Apple.

Apple do "total packaging" very well--putting just enough to be useful, and throwing high-quality industrial design into the mix. It resonates with the people.

The technically minded, who have specific ideas about what they need, tend to go for less beautiful but more functional (as defined by their specific needs) devices. My iRiver H340 is chunky compared to an iPod, but it does everything I want. In the end, I decided that I"d rather have the device that did what I wanted it to do, rather than the device that looked/felt good.

Kvark
September 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Have to agree.

I'll start to like cell phones the day you can chat on IRC, take PNG images and play OGG music files with them. But that'd prolly require replacing whatever OS is preinstalled with GNU/Linux and plugging in a keyboard. :neutral:

Sushi
September 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM
yeah, but it's not an iPOD!!!

Uh, the phone is not an iPod either, it's a crappy Motorola phone with a stupid name.

As it happens, Nokia released a mp3-playing phone FOUR YEARS AGO! (http://nokia.com/nokia/0,,126,00.html)

Brunellus
September 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Uh, the phone is not an iPod either, it's a crappy Motorola phone with a stupid name.

As it happens, Nokia released a mp3-playing phone FOUR YEARS AGO! (http://nokia.com/nokia/0,,126,00.html)
...buh buh buh BUT....

it's not an iPOD!

"phone with mp3 capabilities" is not as marketable as "iPOD phone!"

floppy
September 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
This new thing will make them some more money.

The other day I heard two high school students talking. One said "You know, Apple makes computers too." The other replied, "Cool!"

What I'm waiting to see is their upcoming stab at a media center PC, which I understand is supposed to be out next year.