PDA

View Full Version : New Poll: Which bit torrent client do you use?

sloggerkhan
December 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
So it seems like RAV's thread (here) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387120&page=11) might be a bit dated now, so a NEW thread for a bit torrent client poll.

Okay so maybe it's not the oldest thread, but all the deluge fans want to know: Are that many people REALLY using azureus?

Oh, and if you pick the other option, what is it?

Hinko
December 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I just use whatever Opera is using: the built-in client. Works for me.

What's so special about all those bittorrent clients? am I missing something there?

KillerSponge
December 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Ooooh yes you are. The Opera client lacks speed (it's horribly slow), doesn't have encryption, and a whole lot of other small neat features.

Using Deluge myself. Finally a good replacement for uTorrent. :)

Spr0k3t
December 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I ditched Azureus when I started working with Deluge 0.5.1. I've been nothing but impressed with it since. Running 0.5.7.1 now. Thanks to the opensource movement, it's even been ported to Mac and that other thing of an operating system from Redmond. Even running in the latter environment, I prefer Deluge over uTorrent (GASP!), but I don't go there much... only for development purposes at work.

de_valentin
December 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm still looking for a torrent client that has the search integrated like ktorrent, because that is whats keeping me there.

misfitpierce
December 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Deluge and Transmission. Mainly Deluge though b/c of great plugins.

staticvoid
December 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Deluge huh. thanks for your votes :) I've been using ubuntus built in bit torrent client :P

in windoze I used uTorrent though.

sv

daengbo
December 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I use Deluge from work, but at home I use TorrentFlux on a dedicated torrent/file server. I wrote a howto. (http://ibeentoubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/11/setting-up-dedicated-torrent-server.html)

koleoptero
December 6th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Deluge mostly, but transmission too sometimes, cause deluge seems to have some glitches transmission doesn't.

subs
December 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM
i really like azureus....

its pretty easy to use and on the whole it works for me!!

cyclefiend2000
December 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
i use utorrent. familiar with it from windows.

all the fans of deluge have convinced me to give it a go though.... so i may be switching if it is really that good.

i have tried using the built in opera client on my mac. it is sooo slow, and not enough options either.

primski
December 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM
where's qbittorent?

kazuya
December 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
very useful poll. it answered some of my concerns or questions.
(1) ktorrent - used to be my favorite as it seems identical to utorrent(windows) and very feature rich. My issue with it is that for sometime prior to gutsy, I could not launch it from gnome desktop, just kde {This has been fixed}. Else it works impeccably. Just awesome. {deluge may soon fill this spot}

(2) transmission - one of my favorites as is lightweight, launchable from all gui DEs. and almost as functional as ktorrent for ease of use.

(3) azureus - too slow on certain older machines I have. Else, simply incredible. Was a God-send when I first started using it in the windows world a while ago.

(4) Bittornado / bittorrent - very simple, but not too well organized - can't easily resume downloads with these.

(5) Opera bittorrent client - nice, but too slow {for me}, not enough ease of use. - slows the web browsing experience. - the plus is the good integration for users who may not know or care what bittorrent files are and just want to download something(s) - it seems very very promising though.

For windows user, utorrent seems to me the best.

PS: After these polls, "deluge" may indeed be the answer to my thirst for a fully great bittorrent client. This may rise to my number one after trying it. I have been hearing alot about it.

Znort_Ubern00b
December 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Use ktorrent, tried azureus but could not get it to work for the life of me.also tried utorrent in wine and that didn't work at all...once i found the encryption option on ktorrent i found they downloaded a lot quicker.

saying that deluge seems to be popular, might check it out.

Skorzen
December 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Deluge here!

ezphilosophy
December 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Can anyone point out the differences between ktorrent and deluge? What is better? What is worse? Experiences with both?

I have been using ktorrent for quite some time now and have been very happy with it (but am always looking for something better!)
I remember awhile back some users saying that deluge was very buggy. Anyone agree with this? Was it before, but not so much now?

smartboyathome
December 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I use GNOME Bittorrent when on FF, and Opera's client when on Opera.

n3tfury
December 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM
i chose "other". nothing in ubuntu and utorrent in windows.

bobbocanfly
December 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
uTorrent in Wine on my dedicated torrent box (For private trackers and Movies/Flac/Other stuff im going to seed for ages). Deluge on the desktop for ISO's etc.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I use Transmission because it's extremely tidy and slender, though also quite powerful. I Iike to keep interfaces simple and GNOMEly. I had been using Deluge previously, but tried Transmission to get around a temporary bug that made it impossible to manually select files for download.
Other than that, believe it or not, I sometimes use the GNOME BitTorrent client just because it takes a single click to get going.

Skorzen
December 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I have been using ktorrent for quite some time now and have been very happy with it (but am always looking for something better!)
I remember awhile back some users saying that deluge was very buggy. Anyone agree with this? Was it before, but not so much now?

In the past it was, yes. Now the problem is very stable, efficient and lightweight.

It's my choice!

aidanr
December 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I voted azureus in the other poll but have switched to deluge since.

orgilicious
December 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
yup, in my opinion deluge is the best choice. it grew tremendously during the last frew months and is getting better and better. it also has many useful plugins included in its release.

mellowd
December 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
rtorrent, simply the best!

CPU 0.1%; Mem 0.3MB - This is the current usage, and it's downloading 5 torrents

m0eman
December 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
From the old thread,

ugh, i started using deluge after I voted in this pole (using azureus before), I think a newer version should be started, this one is getting old. I think deluge would fair much better, it has grown so fast!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=632978

new thread so we can see if that many people really are still using azureus.

Thanks! It's already easy to see from the votes that deluge has gained a huge amount of users.

Edit: In other words, I'm bragging that I was right. :D

LaRoza
December 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I just use whatever Opera is using: the built-in client. Works for me.

I rarely use Torrents, but use Opera for them. If was doing more, I might use another.

lvleph
December 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I would use Deluge, but the servers I use don't allow Deluge.

SomeGuyDude
December 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Deluge is amazing. It's like an open-source version of Azureus that doesn't annihilate my system, a full-featured uTorrent that actually works more than 90% of the time.

Spr0k3t
December 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Can anyone point out the differences between ktorrent and deluge? What is better? What is worse? Experiences with both?

I've found deluge to be extremely stable as of late. Particularly the package in the repos for gutsy. However, it's not without random crashes. The package available on the deluge web site on the other hand (0.5.7.1) is quite stable. The only thing lacking in deluge that you find in ktorrent is the integrated web search. With the "Torrent Search" plugin, you can add any search engine you want using your default browser. If you are using gnome, there's no reason to not try deluge.

:KS http://deluge-torrent.org/

prodigalson666
December 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Deluge!

Hinko
December 6th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Ooooh yes you are. The Opera client lacks speed (it's horribly slow), doesn't have encryption, and a whole lot of other small neat features.

Using Deluge myself. Finally a good replacement for uTorrent. :)

OK, I'll give deluge a try then. perhaps Opera is slow....

zachtib
December 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Deluge!

Just wanted to post this for anyone that doesn't know,

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ubuntu gutsy main universe
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ubuntu gutsy main universe

This repo contains up-to-date packages for Deluge.

It also has packages for Feisty and Hardy as well as Gutsy.

Thanks for using Deluge!

:)

zachtib
December 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
bumping b/c i'm interested in the results

Frak
December 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Ktorrent

I'd use Deluge, but I've had Tracker issues with it, so I stick with what works very well. :)

RAV TUX
December 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Other.

I use the built in BitTorrent client in the Opera Web Browser.

(If I ever feel I have a need to use a dedicated bittorrent client I use KTorrent, 90% of the time Opera is all I need)

LookTJ
December 7th, 2007, 02:19 AM
rTorrent still has my vote. CLI and no slowdowns

Xyhthyx
December 7th, 2007, 03:23 AM
rTorrent still has my vote. CLI and no slowdowns

Agreed. rTorrent hands down.

vishzilla
December 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Deluge 0.5.7.1 rocks big time

Mr. Picklesworth
December 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Random question: Why does it matter (and, more importantly, how is it a positive thing) that a bittorrent client has a completely unnecessary web search field?!

As far as my thoughts lead, that's what Deskbar is for ;)

crimesaucer
December 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Deluge 0.5.7.1 rocks big time

Yes. Deluge has been working as good as my uTorrent in my Windows partition.

inversekinetix
December 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM
uTorrent 1.6.1 under XP pro

blows away anything else Ive tried on ubuntu.

SupaSonic
December 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
uTorrent 1.6.1 under XP pro

blows away anything else Ive tried on ubuntu.

I tried Deluge quite some time ago, and found uTorrent to be better. However, yesterday I tried Deluge again... I think it's definitely on the same level, if not better than uTorrent. And it's native too, running a torrent client in wine really isn't the best solution.

shafin
December 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
uTorrent and Deluge.
My browsing seems to crawl when I use Deluge,thats why I had to get back to uTorrent on wine.Used azureus in the past,but it was a big memory hog,used about 150 MB,while Deluge uses about 40 MB and uTorrent 4 MB.

kazuya
December 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I think I made a mistake. I voted ktorrent, but I stand totally corrected. "Deluge" is simply incredible. It is much nicer looking, better integrated into the desktop look and feel and works like utorrent only nicer looking and as feature rich.
Wish i could re-vote. deluge is my new favorite bittorrent app.

kazuya
December 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
uTorrent and Deluge.
My browsing seems to crawl when I use Deluge,thats why I had to get back to uTorrent on wine.Used azureus in the past,but it was a big memory hog,used about 150 MB,while Deluge uses about 40 MB and uTorrent 4 MB.

I agree with you on this. After two days of use, I find ktorrent and especially transmission lighter on RAM and network usage.. Perhaps, it is the ports that need to be changed on deluge.

cml21
December 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I've (mostly) used Azureus. Although, given the numbers on the poll, I'm going to give Deluge a try...

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm still looking for a torrent client that has the search integrated like ktorrent, because that is whats keeping me there.
Deluge has one and you can add more sites too.

Lostincyberspace
December 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I use Deluge now. I used to use azureus but the new interface is terrible and it isn't responsive enough oh and it doesn't tray Deluge.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 10th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Transmission: It's simple and lightweight. I used Deluged for a little bit a while ago, but it kept exiting on me with no explanation, so I switched to Transmission.

ezphilosophy
December 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
In the past it was, yes. Now the problem is very stable, efficient and lightweight.

It's my choice!

I've found deluge to be extremely stable as of late. Particularly the package in the repos for gutsy. However, it's not without random crashes. The package available on the deluge web site on the other hand (0.5.7.1) is quite stable. The only thing lacking in deluge that you find in ktorrent is the integrated web search. With the "Torrent Search" plugin, you can add any search engine you want using your default browser. If you are using gnome, there's no reason to not try deluge.

:KS http://deluge-torrent.org/

Thanks a lot! I'll give deluge a try! :)

Biggus
December 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I just started using rtorrent about a week ago or so, after years of using (mainly) azureus.

Very happy with it so far, does everything I want it to, and is rather efficient. Easy to use too.

m0rphex
December 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah I like rtorrent a lot aswell, who needs a gui for downloads/uploads? Although I can understand that using the console might not be so pleasant for some...

Biggus
December 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah I like rtorrent a lot aswell, who needs a gui for downloads/uploads? Although I can understand that using the console might not be so pleasant for some...

I'm no expert at the terminal myself, but rtorrent is so easy to use, it's just begging to be used.

I use it by:

1 - navigating to a webpage with a .torrent link on it, then right clicking and copying the torrent location
2 - open rtorrent, hit backspace, and paste it in.

So much easier than all that messing around with other clients, and i hardly notice it running

saulgoode
December 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I have setup an old Pentium which is basically dedicated to rTorrent (as well as providing an archive of the files). I just have to copy the .torrent file over and rTorrent automatically starts dl'ing/sharing.

@biggus,

If you modify your .rtorrent.rc file by adding a "watch_directory" line then you could eliminate your copy/paste; just save the .torrent to the watched directory.

watch_directory,5,5,load_start=/pub/Torrents/*.torrent

saulgoode
December 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry, duplicate post.

m0rphex
December 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I have to try that :D

Biggus
December 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
I have setup an old Pentium which is basically dedicated to rTorrent (as well as providing an archive of the files). I just have to copy the .torrent file over and rTorrent automatically starts dl'ing/sharing.

@biggus,

If you modify your .rtorrent.rc file by adding a "watch_directory" line then you could eliminate your copy/paste; just save the .torrent to the watched directory.

watch_directory,5,5,load_start=/pub/Torrents/*.torrent

Wow dude, that looks most interesting, I had always wanted to try something like that on my old doze box, but could never quite figure out how.

That way I could just download loads of torrents all at once, awesomeness!

-grubby
December 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
ktorrent

bufsabre666
December 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
i used to use azureus because it worked for both windows and ubuntu, then i started using deluge for the same reason, but now for windows im back to my favorite utorrent ((which i cant get to work in wine)) and use azureus in ubuntu

m0rphex
December 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
utorrent is awesome since it's so small and still nice, I used to use it when I had XP. It's a good example of a torrent download program that works without being as humongous in size as many others.

s3a
December 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I use limewire because it's the only one that doesn't seem to restart the download from 0%...I use dial-up on Feisty...32 bit and ubuntu...

mellowd
December 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I use limewire because it's the only one that doesn't seem to restart the download from 0%...I use dial-up on Feisty...32 bit and ubuntu...

Torrents resume, they don't restart at 0% all the time

m0rphex
December 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I still haven't ran into a torrent program that started everytime from 0% when you want to resume a download. s3a maybe you should try some other download program, but then again you can always stick to whatever works.

Enginirical
January 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I spent ages, and I mean AGES searching forums and the net for a decent torrent client, everyone was banging on about Deluge so I tried it....and I just didnt get on with it! Azureus=java=urgh so that was a no go to!

Eventually I found this...

http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

I tried it and found it to be awesome, best thing I have tried so far. Itś not overcomplicated, it just works, and itś fast and doesnt infringe on performance of other applications. It has directory scanning with automated download of torrents inside so no manual jumping around torrent sites. It has 5 major search engines pre-installed with loads of plugins available to expand this. All in all I would recommend you at least try it, you never know there might actually be more than just ¨the one´s everyone else uses so must be good¨ out there!

Here´s a blog review that gives more detail comparison with other clients : http://tuxoblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Reviews

new2*buntu
January 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I had been using Deluge, but it crashed too much when I switched to Debian, so I tried Transmission and it was great. I think I will stick with it for a while.

Sockerdrickan
January 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Here's my Transmission SVN script for users who often download and compile the SVN code http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=652246

Biggus
February 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
saulgoode, I was just looking over my old posts there, and I just realised I never thanked you for this one.

Worked like a charm, and I'm now using rtorrent for all my torrent needs, saving myself about 100mb of ram.

You rock d00d!

ruffneck
March 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
I used transmission myself for 1 download and it was very slow. I've since switched to Deluge (based on this poll) and I'm back to blazing utorrent speeds. :D

PurposeOfReason
March 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Torrentflux server. Always running, always working. :)