PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is all the "best" software for KDE? kclip, dolphin, amarok, k3b....

Mysticle31
December 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Is it true? That's why I've been trying to make Kubuntu work so hard. So I'm trying Ubuntu and see if anything changes. But KDE has all the "best" software for it? I like the "open as root" on the context menu and "command here" and "burn iso to CD" and all those features. Last time I tried Ubuntu 7.10 I could not get ANY bluetooth things to work, including mouse and keyboard due to obex could not find errors. NEver had that problem in Kubuntu.

I've been so frustrated that if this messes up again, this years linux project is over for me. My next 'oh, I couldn't make X work on linux now something has happened and I must reformat' is going to be done with my XP cd...grrrrr.

Sarteck
December 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I don't get it... If KDE works for you, then why not use it? Are you having some problems with it or something?

Vadi
December 6th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I use Ubuntu, but I like amarok & kmuddy.

It's not like it's a crime to use kde apps on gnome ;)

Sarteck
December 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I just like the look and feel of KDE better. I like the placement of things on the menu, where the system settings are, so on and so forth.

I realize that you can pretty much customize GNOME to look and even act like KDE, too, but I figure that as long as it has "*buntu" at the end, it's all good. ;D

Aito
December 6th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Hi
One question : using Amarok (that I like very much too ! :) ) doesn't means you have to install lot of KDE librairies ? (like GT or something ?)

Doesn't look a very efficient way, to install 2 full program system (one for Gnome soft and one for KDE soft).
Perhaps there is no incidence but perhaps not.
If yo could tell me more about it I'll be gratefull !

Aito

LuisAugusto
December 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Hi
One question : using Amarok (that I like very much too ! :) ) doesn't means you have to install lot of KDE librairies ? (like GT or something ?)

Doesn't look a very efficient way, to install 2 full program system (one for Gnome soft and one for KDE soft).
Perhaps there is no incidence but perhaps not.
If yo could tell me more about it I'll be gratefull !

Aito

Yes, but it's so... stupid... to worry about that if you have a decent computer.
If you install Opera in Windows nobody cry because it installs Qt, or because firefox use XUL, or because VLC use Qt, or because Miro uses Gtk, unless it's Java, you shouldn't care.

thelatinist
December 6th, 2007, 06:22 AM
It's also pretty easy to customize KDE apps to look and feel like Gnome apps. I use whatever software does the job best; QT libraries don't seem to slow my computer down significantly. My only complaint with KDE apps is the too Kute for words naming convention and the often complete lack of any relationship between the name of the app and it's function.

FuturePilot
December 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I find the KDE naming scheme Klever and artistiK :lolflag:

Like others have said, if Kubuntu works for you, why not just stick with it?

popch
December 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I find the KDE naming scheme Klever and artistiK

Would't it be a naming sKeme?

eye208
December 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
and "burn iso to CD"
I am pretty sure this is in the Gnome context menu too. By the way, you can customize that menu any time using nautilus-actions.

mdsmedia
December 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I've used Gnome (Ubuntu) for the 2 years I've been using Ubuntu. I installed KDE desktop and used it fleetingly.

The ONLY app that is constantly running on my desktop (other than the terminal running folding@home) is Kontact. It's my PIM of choice and I like it. YES it's a KDE app.

The point is, you don't have to run KDE to run KDE apps. I prefer Gnome to KDE, but I like Kontact.

Linuxratty
December 7th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I just like the look and feel of KDE better. I like the placement of things on the menu, where the system settings are, so on and so forth.
;D

As do I...And the apps are mighty fine...
I'm using Klikit right now,which is based off Kbuntu.

Gadren
December 7th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I'm coming back to Ubuntu after using Vista exclusively for a while, and while I think I need to get used to KDE more, there are certainly KDE programs (or at least Qt programs) which are indispensable. For example, I do a lot of pixel work (well, not that much, but I feel much more at home with such work), and so saying "use the GIMP" isn't helpful to me at all. I wanted an MS Paint clone, and after unsuccessfully trying GNU Paint, which is a depressingly half-complete program, I found KolourPaint, which is simply great.

I don't have as much experience with a lot of other KDE programs, but that's one in particular which I've found to far outshine its other Linux brethren.

-grubby
December 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM
well I certainly prefer Amarok,Kolourpaint, and Kaffeine but Kaffeine is having some funky problems so I just use Totem. Also, I DESPISE Konqueror. I have no idea how anyone could use it. When I'm on KDE I use Thunar for file management

voteforpedro36
December 7th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I've got that vibe too. But I think it's because Ubuntu with Gnome comes with Rhythmbox, while Kubuntu comes with AmaroK. Notice how much more, well, sophisticated AmaroK looks? It has so many more features. KDE is more complicated than GNOME, or maybe it's apps are, or something I can't put my finger on.

But I despise KDE, although I like AmaroK better than Rhythmbox or Exaile (it's clone in GTK), I like Konqueror more than Nautilus (neither much though). I don't know why, but something feels wrong.

Oh well, I use fluxbox. Opera uses QT, but it has to load a whole 1 lib if I'm right, and it fits in (9.50, that is), with GNOME and fluxbox. I'm using XMMS, which AFAIK isn't built for any WM, it has an option for "Show window manager decerations", which I turn off and use a custom skin.

So... that's my $0.02

Mysticle31
December 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Have you ever found that KDE apps don't really like gnome? I have found that some gnome apps (ex Mythbuntu) did not create a program icon on any of my "start" menus. And when I was trying gnome, I had similar issues.

SomeGuyDude
December 8th, 2007, 02:33 AM
It has some, but far as I'm concerned Exaile is awesome and the only reason I'd use amaroK is if I was already on a KDE desktop (I like keeping things homogenous). There are few KDE programs that are so good I need them on my GNOME desk. k3b/k9copy being the only exception.

ctyc
December 14th, 2007, 06:23 AM
hmm kde does have a lot of nice apps. So just use it.
Gnome apps get better every release just like kde apps.

Incense
December 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I used to use gnome all the time, until I realized how much KDE software I was running. Moving to KDE made it all so much faster, and the level of integration is fantastic. I love how I can control amarok from konqueror, access my feeds, email, and basket notes from kontact; play any song by typing it into katapult.....

Anyway. Yeah, I think KDE has some great applications. Use what works best for you. They all work fine in gnome, but they seem to work much better (IMO) under their native DE.

undine
December 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It's just you.

Epiphany, Totem, Rhythmbox, Pidgin, Gthumb, Nautilus, Evolution, and Gimp are all very fine apps. In terms of office software, I do think that Kword is much better than either Abiword or OOo, but then, I use Lyx/LaTeX anyhow. :popcorn:

LuisAugusto
December 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM
It's just you.

Epiphany, Totem, Rhythmbox, Pidgin, Gthumb, Nautilus, Evolution, and Gimp are all very fine apps. In terms of office software, I do think that Kword is much better than either Abiword or OOo, but then, I use Lyx/LaTeX anyhow. :popcorn:

He didn't say that there was something wrong with gtk apps, he said KDE apps are superior, which is, usually, true.

The GIMP is unmatchable tough XD

Incense
December 17th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Guess you never used Krita have you?

undine
December 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM
He didn't say that there was something wrong with gtk apps, he said KDE apps are superior, which is, usually, true.

I didn't say that he said that. Nor do I agree that the alledged superiority of KDE apps usually holds true.

LuisAugusto
December 17th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Guess you never used Krita have you?

Yes, I have use it, it's far from GIMP Level, even the KDE 4 version ;)

I didn't say that he said that. Nor do I agree that the alledged superiority of KDE apps usually holds true.

Amarok>Rhythmbox/Banshee/Exaile/BMPx

K3b>Brasero, GNOMEBaker

Konqueror>Nautilus

Kaffeine>Totem

Kopete>Pidgin

undine
December 17th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Yes, I have use it, it's far from GIMP Level, even the KDE 4 version ;)

Amarok>Rhythmbox/Banshee/Exaile/BMPx

K3b>Brasero, GNOMEBaker

Konqueror>Nautilus

Kaffeine>Totem

Kopete>Pidgin

Utter nonsense. And your usage of the 'greater than' sign, doesn't win your 'argument.'

LuisAugusto
December 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Utter nonsense. And your usage of the 'greater than' sign, doesn't win your 'argument.'

Do I really need to explain those? I guess most people here have use Amarok, Kopete, K3b and Konqueror.

Amarok is without doubt the most loved music audio player for Linux, the reasons are endless.

K3b is the same for burning.

Konqueror have more features and it's faster than nautilus.

Kopete support more protocols and it have webcam support, among other extra features.

Is it better like that? I can extended it quite more if you want to...

PS: I'm not saying that GNOME doesn't have some applications that are better than their KDE equivalents, but generally KDE equivalent is more powerful. GNOME has a lot of advantages, from my humble point of view as DE is better than KDE 3.5.8, but that doesn't change the fact that KDE application are better (but GNOME ones have been closing fast actually, due to lack of focus in KDE 3 series)

undine
December 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Do I really need to explain those? I guess most people here have use Amarok, Kopete, K3b and Konqueror.

Amarok is without doubt the most loved music audio player for Linux, the reasons are endless.

K3b is the same for burning.

Konqueror have more features and it's faster than nautilus.

Kopete support more protocols and it have webcam support, among other extra features.

Is it better like that? I can extended it quite more if you want to...

PS: I'm not saying that GNOME doesn't have some applications that are better than their KDE equivalents, but generally KDE equivalent is more powerful. GNOME has a lot of advantages, from my humble point of view as DE is better than KDE 3.5.8, but that doesn't change the fact that KDE application are better (but GNOME ones have been closing fast actually, due to lack of focus in KDE 3 series)

Ok, now I understand your point of view. For my part though, I don't necessarily agree with the 'more features = superior software' philosophy (which is probably why I like GNOME so much in the first place); for instance, I greatly prefer Epiphany over Firefox or Opera. On the other hand, I can see why other people would like their applications to be tricked out with all sorts of neat features.

bruce89
December 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Ok, now I understand your point of view. For my part though, I don't necessarily agree with the 'more features = superior software' philosophy (which is probably why I like GNOME so much in the first place); for instance, I greatly prefer Epiphany over Firefox or Opera. On the other hand, I can see why other people would like their applications to be tricked out with all sorts of neat features.

Thankfully someone else has my view.

Linuxratty
December 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM

As do I...Ive used KDE from the start and briefly used Gnome when I had the Dell (which got sent back).
If you prefer KDE,than by all means,use it...The Linux desktop police are not going to come banging on your door...Really. :biggrin:

wolfen69
December 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM
in case anyone hasnt noticed, i can use these "superior" kde apps in gnome. i can eat the cake without having to buy it.

Incense
December 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
in case anyone hasnt noticed, i can use these "superior" kde apps in gnome. i can eat the cake without having to buy it.

I don't think anyone ever said otherwise.

garyedwardjohnston
July 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It's not just you, it's true!

I'm relatively new to Linux and chose Ubuntu because of its popularity. Soon I realized that I was installing more and more KDE applications because they are...well...WAY BETTER.

In my opinion gnome is for noobs, businesses and minimalists.

I'm pretty much a software junkie and have studied this quite thoroughly.

Now you're gonna say that KDE apps run fine in gnome. Not true. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. For sure, appearance, file directories, compatibility and performances suffers.

I just wish Canocial would pay more attention to Kubuntu. I'm going to try openSUSE because I've heard they are the best distro for the KDE. Second was PCLinuxOS, then Kubuntu. Surprising they got 3rd because Canocial is very popular. I would have thought their popularity would have inflated their figures. Maybe 3rd place is inflated, lol.

cardinals_fan
July 31st, 2008, 02:03 AM
Slackware is the best KDE distro.

Just wanted to say that ;)

Barrucadu
July 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
In my opinion gnome is for noobs, businesses and minimalists.
Err, and of course, AmaroK (picking a random KDE app to make fun off) is for noobs - it can't even start playing music when the computer starts up!? Mpd is much better! :P

garyedwardjohnston
July 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Err, and of course, AmaroK (picking a random KDE app to make fun off) is for noobs - it can't even start playing music when the computer starts up!? Mpd is much better! :P

Yes it can.

Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Resume playback on start

:)

Barrucadu
July 31st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yes it can.

Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Resume playback on start

:)

And that works before KDE loads does it?

garyedwardjohnston
August 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
And that works before KDE loads does it?

I don't know exactly what you mean but on my Kubuntu desktop (soon to become opesSUSE) the programs that were running at shutdown, start again when the computer is booted.

This means that if Amarok was open it will reopen at boot time. If this option is selected then playback will start also.

Barrucadu
August 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean but on my Kubuntu desktop (soon to become opesSUSE) the programs that were running at shutdown, start again when the computer is booted.

This means that if Amarok was open it will reopen at boot time. If this option is selected then playback will start also.

I mean that mpd will start playing as soon as the daemon is loaded - before X, GNOME, KDE, whatever starts, whereas AmaroK wouldn't.

carolinason
August 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've been so frustrated that if this messes up again, this years linux project is over for me. My next 'oh, I couldn't make X work on linux now something has happened and I must reformat' is going to be done with my XP cd...grrrrr.

Hm sounds exhausting. Run whatever ya want.

starcannon
August 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I have no problem installing K software on my Gnome desktop /shrug, one of the things I love about linux, its all so compatible.