PDA

View Full Version : Dd-wrt

aldenhg
December 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I realize I'm a little late to the open router party, but holy crap. I just came across a broken WRT54Gv4 that I was able to get running again (replaced the radio with a radio from another, differently broken WRT54G) and I loaded up DD-WRT. Right now I'm downloading the Alternate Desktop cd through Bittorrent at 1MBps (that's megaBYTES) + while my girlfriend is listening to high quality streaming audio. On a 5 Mbps (megabit) pipe. This router is obviously breaking the laws of physic to deliver far more bandwidth than I actually have. I don't know how or why or anything like that - all I know is that Linux has once again proven that it's the best thing to ever be stored magnetically.
/rave

matthew
December 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Agreed.

I have dd-wrt up and running on my wrt-54g and it rocks!! Linux FTW!!!!!!!!!!

n3tfury
December 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Agreed.

I have dd-wrt up and running on my wrt-54g and it rocks!! Linux FTW!!!!!!!!!!

wrt54gl + dd-wrt = yay

Scotty Bones
December 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
This is definitely a project that has me excited as well. After installing it (WRT54GS v1.0), I noticed a considerable increase in LAN performance. Transferring large files, accessing shares and even a stronger more responsive wireless connection. It's got more options than i can shake a stick at. However, I seemed to lose all WAN functionality :(. I couldn't connect to (http,ftp, etc.) or ping anything thing outside my LAN, though it seemed to have picked up all the proper settings from the modem to do so. (I'll have to play with it more later, when I have more time :) )
I also found another neat little open source project called openSlug for my NSLU2. I'm even tempted to try NSLU2/Debian. Oh, the joy.

D-EJ915
December 6th, 2007, 03:15 AM
make sure you put in your DNS addresses

aldenhg
December 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Or use OpenDNS. It's faster and they filter out phishers for you.