PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Local Ubuntu Support Poster -- Critique requested!

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I own a small Web Development & Design company called Alton Labs up here in Canada and I'm hoping to, on the side, support Ubuntu Linux on the desktop.

I've made a small poster with ripable tabs including my phone number and logo for people to take home.

Can you please give me a critique on style, fonts, content, etc. and give me some suggestions on improvement?

Fonts used:
* Haettenschweiler
* Samanata

Made in OpenOffice.org -- will be printed in black and white

Original: http://altonlabs.com/media/files/pdf/poster.pdf (~81 kB)
Revised: http://altonlabs.com/media/files/pdf/poster-revised.pdf (~83 kB) -- thank you everyone!

dasunst3r
December 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
You should lose one 'o' in "loose" -- that's one of the common grammatical mistakes. While you talk about the benefits, you don't talk about what using Linux really involves as it comes with a steep learning curve. I, for one, would NEVER convert someone to Linux without a consultation to determine that Linux is right for them.

alwiap
December 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
You should lose one 'o' in "loose" -- that's one of the common grammatical mistakes. While you talk about the benefits, you don't talk about what using Linux really involves as it comes with a steep learning curve. I, for one, would NEVER convert someone to Linux without a consultation to determine that Linux is right for them.

yea the 'loose' should be 'lose'

I personally would make the 'Ubuntu Linux' part stand out more, maybe with a different color or make the rest of that sentence not bold and the word 'Ubuntu Linux' bold, it looks funny to me for some reason the way it is. personal preference though.

I also would put the Pidgin part (the second line) at the bottom, I think more people are familiar with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express than AIM, so its like a comfort factor, the word Pidgin probably scares people because they haven't heard of it, but if they see familiar things first their mind can bend :)

Oh, also, maybe instead of Software Replacements, put 'Software Equivalents'? People might think their software gets destroyed or something in the internetwebs.

Just my opinions, good luck!

n3tfury
December 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
yep, definitely lose the extra "o". other than that, good job, looks nice.

Lostincyberspace
December 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I think it needs a more artisitic touch maybe I will try to cook something up for you that is visualy appealing.

popch
December 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
it's not comparible but comparable.

What do you mean by "your current programs can be backed up and converted to Ubuntu" ?

I would think that a program is a piece of software. How do you then propose to convert the user's software to Ubuntu?

Linuxratty
December 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Fonts all uppercase,looks like you are yelling...Boring black letters on white is not attractive. The way everything is written out is also not interesting...Reminds me of a cheap,late night car commercial.
Seeing this would NOT encourage me to try Linux.

50words
December 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Way too much text! Say it with six words or less, and a few, punchy points. You cannot expect someone to stand in front of a bulletin board for ten minutes reading all that.

DoctorMO
December 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I like it, but I think you also need to sell people on the idea that there is a community of people in the local area who can help.

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Darn, thanks!

Well of course I'm not going to talk about the steep learning curve! Does Microsoft advertise the yearly expense of HAVING to purchase anti-virus software?

I personally would make the 'Ubuntu Linux' part stand out more, maybe with a different color or make the rest of that sentence not bold and the word 'Ubuntu Linux' bold, it looks funny to me for some reason the way it is. personal preference though.

Thanks, but Haettenschweiler seems to be too bold in OpenOffice :S I'll see what I can do though.

I also would put the Pidgin part (the second line) at the bottom, I think more people are familiar with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express than AIM, so its like a comfort factor, the word Pidgin probably scares people because they haven't heard of it, but if they see familiar things first their mind can bend :)

Done.

Oh, also, maybe instead of Software Replacements, put 'Software Equivalents'? People might think their software gets destroyed or something in the internetwebs.

Just my opinions, good luck!

Haha, thanks. Done.

I think it needs a more artisitic touch maybe I will try to cook something up for you that is visualy appealing.

Well I actually went to school for graphic design, but I'm in a rush at the moment to get this out the door due to a lack of money ( :(), so think of this as a rough draft. I'll cook something up in Gimp in the upcoming days. I'd like to see your thoughts though!

it's not comparible but comparable.

Bah. Spell check never works by default in OpenOffice.org!

What do you mean by "your current programs can be backed up and converted to Ubuntu" ?

I would think that a program is a piece of software. How do you then propose to convert the user's software to Ubuntu?

I meant settings -- wallpaper, bookmarks, e-mails, contacts, etc. You know, simple stuff like that. So that has now changed, thank you.

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I'll keep you updated!

sanderella
December 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Way too much text! Say it with six words or less, and a few, punchy points. You cannot expect someone to stand in front of a bulletin board for ten minutes reading all that.

I agree with this: the rule for posters is KISS: keep it simple stupid.
:KS

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would say don't advertise anything that doesn't come with Ubuntu by default. For example: "Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express", you should advertise Evolution, since Thunderbird is an email client and outlook is an email/calendar/notes/etc client. Also "Similar look and feel to Windows 2000/XP/Vista" shouldn't be on there, since it doesn't look ANYTHING like it by default. "Fancy 3D effects comparible to Windows Vista that work on an 8-year old computer!" doesn't fit either, since compiz WON'T work on all 8 year old computers. One more thing, people will STILL have to worry about their computer since they have to upgrade it every 6 months (unless your going to be using the LTS releases?).

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Fonts all uppercase,looks like you are yelling...Boring black letters on white is not attractive. The way everything is written out is also not interesting...Reminds me of a cheap,late night car commercial.
Seeing this would NOT encourage me to try Linux.

Well exactly. But when you only have a printer with inkjet ink and one pack of paper, you've got to try and grab everyone you can :S. It appears to me that I'm advertising to proletariats and older men who, typically to me in this area, listen to this kind of advertising.

I'll work on more subtle, professional advertisements when I have a client base and money.

I know! But I want them to feel confident when they call me that Ubuntu Linux isn't some crack-pot operating system. I feel the need to tell people that it's a great alternative to Windows.

I like it, but I think you also need to sell people on the idea that there is a community of people in the local area who can help.

True, but I'm not sure of anyone else in my area that supports it, although I have heard people discuss it over my shoulder. I'll see if I can fit that in, thanks.

daynah
December 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Less words, more pictures!

Make what you're trying to say big and pretty to catch an eye!

On the other hand, if you choose not to follow this advice... having that one splash of color means all the black is going to be printed in color and means things will be crazy expensive. If you do it all in black and white, it will be cheaper. Or if you do more color, the expense will be worth it.

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I would say don't advertise anything that doesn't come with Ubuntu by default. For example: "Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express", you should advertise Evolution, since Thunderbird is an email client and outlook is an email/calendar/notes/etc client.

True enough, but most of my clientele in the past of heard of and prefered Mozilla Thunderbird. Some people might even use Mozilla Thunderbird and therefore understand that Linux can't be too different from Windows (usage-wise) if it runs familiar programs.

Also "Similar look and feel to Windows 2000/XP/Vista" shouldn't be on there, since it doesn't look ANYTHING like it by default.

Doesn't look like it by default? "_ [] x" in the top right-hand corner, start meny, task-bar with shortcuts and clock, etc.

No, it's not blue but I can customize it to their tastes!

"Fancy 3D effects comparible to Windows Vista that work on an 8-year old computer!" doesn't fit either, since compiz WON'T work on all 8 year old computers.

My proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qddueXkD8E

One more thing, people will STILL have to worry about their computer since they have to upgrade it every 6 months (unless your going to be using the LTS releases?).

Well, that's much better than having to worry about viruses constantly is it not? They just have to click two buttons to upgrade Ubuntu every six months IF they choose to do so. If not, they're support for 18 months without LTS.

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Less words, more pictures!

Make what you're trying to say big and pretty to catch an eye!

On the other hand, if you choose not to follow this advice... having that one splash of color means all the black is going to be printed in color and means things will be crazy expensive. If you do it all in black and white, it will be cheaper. Or if you do more color, the expense will be worth it.

Yeah! I know, I am a graphic designer, but here are my limitations: I only have a black, toner-based printer and I have to get this out today... I'll see what I can do in the near future however.

@smartboyathome: I've changed it to say "will work on older computers"

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ubuntu upgrades aren't exactly friendly all the time. Also, that video is just one computer that CAN support it, but I wouldn't advertise that it can run on ALL 8 year old computers. The layout of the buttons is similar, yes, but the menu is definately NOT the same (Applications, Places, System anyone?).

"Some people might even use Mozilla Thunderbird and therefore understand that Linux can't be too different from Windows (usage-wise) if it runs familiar programs."

This might mislead them into thinking that their windows programs x, y, and z will work with Linux.

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, just saw you changed it, thanks. :)

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Ubuntu upgrades aren't exactly friendly all the time. Also, that video is just one computer that CAN support it, but I wouldn't advertise that it can run on ALL 8 year old computers. The layout of the buttons is similar, yes, but the menu is definately NOT the same (Applications, Places, System anyone?).

True, so I changed it for you :P

"Some people might even use Mozilla Thunderbird and therefore understand that Linux can't be too different from Windows (usage-wise) if it runs familiar programs."

This might mislead them into thinking that their windows programs x, y, and z will work with Linux.

Well Linux does have Wine which helps run all sorts of programs (such as Microsoft Office 2003 if need be) but I won't add that on the poster else people will ask about running Windows games.

Then of course I know people can dual-boot but yaddy-yaddy-yadda, I could go on and on (and I will for when they call me, just not on the poster).

Het Irv
December 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I think that it is great and I might do the same for my area. I just would make sure that before you do anything to anyone's computer you explain all for the good and bad points of Ubuntu. Don't try to force it on them and make sure that they know what they are getting into.

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I also just changed:

SWITCH TO UBUNTU LINUX AND NEVER WORRY ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER AGAIN!

to

SWITCH TO UBUNTU LINUX
AND TAKE THE STRESS OUT OF OWNING A COMPUTER!

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ok, sounds like it is a lot better. Post a revised version please? :)

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I think that it is great and I might do the same for my area. I just would make sure that before you do anything to anyone's computer you explain all for the good and bad points of Ubuntu. Don't try to force it on them and make sure that they know what they are getting into.

Oh of course. I'm a pretty good computer technician and explain all sorts of stuff to people -- they often like listening because they learn so much about computers that they never knew before.

I don't use or support Linux JUST because it's free, but the whole idea and community behind it -- I WANT to help me neighbour!

And I'll send you my .odt and fonts if you'd like to use mine as a template!

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, sounds like it is a lot better. Post a revised version please? :)

Done :)

Revised: http://altonlabs.com/media/files/pdf/poster-revised.pdf (~83 kB) -- thank you everyone!

Het Irv
December 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
sure, e-mail me here
hetirv@comcast.net

I will post any changes I make to it on this thread.

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Done :)

Much, MUCH better, :) Good job!

DoctorMO
December 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
"works" not "work" although I don't know if anyone will notice. Good luck!

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
sure, e-mail me here
hetirv@comcast.net

I will post any changes I make to it on this thread.

Great! I've e-mailed the required files.

Much, MUCH better, :) Good job!

Thank you for your help!

quinnten83
December 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I would say don't advertise anything that doesn't come with Ubuntu by default. For example: "Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express", you should advertise Evolution, since Thunderbird is an email client and outlook is an email/calendar/notes/etc client. Also "Similar look and feel to Windows 2000/XP/Vista" shouldn't be on there, since it doesn't look ANYTHING like it by default. "Fancy 3D effects comparible to Windows Vista that work on an 8-year old computer!" doesn't fit either, since compiz WON'T work on all 8 year old computers. One more thing, people will STILL have to worry about their computer since they have to upgrade it every 6 months (unless your going to be using the LTS releases?).

Well, they don't HAVE to upgrade.
But should they want to I'm sure the business is welcome :).
Actually I wanted to start a small business like he describes here.
It might have potential and it would give linux more notoriety.
I think it is brilliant idea.
As for the poster, maybe a few more of the regular ubuntu colors in the background. Other than that, I like it.