PDA

View Full Version : Leapard is the new Vista (PC World/ToastyTech)

izanbardprince
December 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2223921,00.asp

"A month of using Leopard with the same software I had under Tiger and the OS has dumped six times. That's six cold reboots for Oliver. Apple isn't even honest enough to admit that Leopard is crashing: The OS just grays out my desktop and pops up a dialog box telling me I've got to reboot. Like the whole thing is my fault. I even snapped a picture of it. After all, I HAD PLENTY OF CHANCES! "

http://toastytech.com/guis/osx152.html

"And you can play DVDs right out of the box. Although due to licensing ********, Apple cripples it somewhat disabling the ability to take screen shots with Grabber. Thankfully their command line screen capture utility isn't crippled. They also cripple output to composite (television) video, if you happen to use a converter, by injecting "macrovision" noise that messes up the picture when played back to most VCRs and some televisions."

:lolflag:

And I thought Apple's Mac OS was supposed to be the crash free, media lover's OS, turns out it's crash happier than Vista and has the same Mackerel-vision BS.

And....

No classic app's for you!

http://toastytech.com/guis/osx15noclassic.png

Nano Geek
December 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Simcity 2000 was released in 1993. How long do you expect Apple to support it?

And I believe Apple is trying to block pirates when it doesn't let you take picture of the desktop or play the output on a VCR or TV.

lespaul_rentals
December 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
And I believe Apple is trying to block pirates when it doesn't let you take picture of the desktop or play the output on a VCR or TV.

I laugh at that logic. Seriously. How long will it take for companies to realize that there will always be a third-party program or a way around their protection.

Sp4cedOut
December 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Simcity 2000 was released in 1993. How long do you expect Apple to support it?

Forever? Why shouldn't new operating systems run older programs?

igknighted
December 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Forever? Why shouldn't new operating systems run older programs?

I hope that was in jest...

... but if not, imagine how many old libraries and API's would have to be built in to every OS... yikes

Nano Geek
December 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I laugh at that logic. Seriously. How long will it take for companies to realize that there will always be a third-party program or a way around their protection.And Apple can't stop them, but they try not to make it easy.

Forever? Why shouldn't new operating systems run older programs?No, you have to let go of them sometime. As igknighted said, just imagine how bloated the OS would be if it supported every app that was created for it from the beginning.

edward4130
December 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
if you are attempting to run clasic programs they stopped official support for clasic (os9) over 3 years ago. With the intel development it is time to let it go, Though i do miss a few of my old games like short circut. If you are using classic programs what CPU are you putting this on? Min requirements suggest a G4 1 ghz. OS 9 was not included in my old g4 dual 450 mhz, it is 6 years old or more.

10.5 leopard just like your core install of ubuntuwill not let you do lots of thiings, you add stuff to get that functionality. Conical does not want the riaa and the mpaa to shut them down for alowing easy piracy.. obviously apple has even more attoreneys that want to avoid it as well.

pardon the typos I'm responding on a ubuntu mediacenter that wont play a DVD that my new Leopard system will.... ha!

3rdalbum
December 10th, 2007, 04:59 AM
And people didn't believe me when I said the delay in Leopard was to put HDCP and other video DRM technologies into the operating system.

It's perfectly possible for Apple to support Classic applications on OS X for Intel, with almost no effort on their part. The developers of Sheepshaver offered to give Sheepshaver to Apple for the purpose of running classic applications.

karellen
December 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I laugh at that logic. Seriously. How long will it take for companies to realize that there will always be a third-party program or a way around their protection.

padlocks can be easily broken (sledgehammer, blowtorch). but still they are made and sold ;)

lespaul_rentals
December 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
padlocks can be easily broken (sledgehammer, blowtorch). but still they are made and sold ;)

This is true. However, remember that if I am going to break into my neighbor's shed at night, using such a method would draw attention. Thus, I would have to learn and perfect lockpicking in order to make a silent entry.

The more corporations try to push things like DRM, the more those who wish to destroy it will need to perfect their technique. Perfecting an art form like lockpicking or hacking is enjoyable for those who take it up, which means that they have fun exploiting the protection means in place. The more the "good guys" push for stronger measures, the more dangerous the "bad guys" will become.

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I use Leopard sometimes, there r restrictions due to piracy and stuff which I don't like. The one thing I hate is how bad Apple considers Microsoft Windows to be, and the pride they now have. I can bet their pride will be their down fall. Did anyone look at the icon in Leopard for networked Windows pc's. I noticed that first time when connecting my Macbook to my parents computer to transfer some stuff. If u don't know what I am talking about, its that BSOD monitor icon for Windows.

If they don't stop with their dumb pride over Microsoft I am sure some hackers r going to get pissed and start exploiting OS X vulnerabilities.

Sp4cedOut
December 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I hope that was in jest...

... but if not, imagine how many old libraries and API's would have to be built in to every OS... yikes

Considering these old libraries are only a few megabytes, I don't see what the big deal is.

Alfa989
December 11th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Considering these old libraries are only a few megabytes, I don't see what the big deal is.

Making them sit there is not a problem. Making them work with everything else, however, is.

3rdalbum
December 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Making them sit there is not a problem. Making them work with everything else, however, is.

There are plenty of old libraries on my Linux system that work fine with everything else, despite them not being tested with my combination of software. The actual architecture of Mac OS X shouldn't change too much or it would break existing applications, so upkeep of those libraries would be minimal.

But hey. If Microsoft wants to break compatibility and stop all its old Mac users from switching to the latest OS X, then that's its business. Apple shooting itself in the foot? Be my guest. It's just a greater opportunity for the old Mac users to switch to Linux - after all, if the vendor's own upgrade is going to break your existing workflow, then there's no problem considering another vendor.

Alfa989
December 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
It's just a greater opportunity for the old Mac users to switch to Linux.
Mmm... I somehow don't think that's going to happen...

Bromo
December 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Mmm... I somehow don't think that's going to happen...

Happening with me! But I digress .... :P

Bromo
December 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
[...stuff deleted for brevity...]

If they don't stop with their dumb pride over Microsoft I am sure some hackers r going to get pissed and start exploiting OS X vulnerabilities.

I agree, though Steve Jobs made this mistake before with the Apple II. They owned the market, and a combination of arrogance, technical difficulties and price undid them to which they never recovered their market share (not even today!). They are playing in a market niche right now - and are spreading based upon ease of use.

Having owned Apple products since the Apple IIe, I do know that every so often Steve Jobs refuses to be backwards compatible (system 6 to 7, and system 9 and OSX were two that stuck in my head). Now that he's entering the mainstream, it will be interesting to see how they approach these break points going forward.

I started with Linux on an old G3 Laptop - since has bit the dust, and I am looking to do a x86 Linux install and make the system good enough to run Second Life, my current addiction! (And they have a second life Linux client!)

handy
December 23rd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I use Leopard sometimes, there r restrictions due to piracy and stuff which I don't like. The one thing I hate is how bad Apple considers Microsoft Windows to be, and the pride they now have. I can bet their pride will be their down fall. Did anyone look at the icon in Leopard for networked Windows pc's. I noticed that first time when connecting my Macbook to my parents computer to transfer some stuff. If u don't know what I am talking about, its that BSOD monitor icon for Windows.

Apple has always been too proud, it has cost them dearly in the past, Bill Gates saved them at Steve Jobs request in 1997, & only since OS X, iPod & Vista have they really started to take off again.

baxterdog
December 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'm learning tons by reading these, as I am running XP on my work desktop, but Ubuntu and OS X on my home boxes. Furry would be proud. (link later)

AlphaMack
December 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Bill Gates saved them at Steve Jobs request in 1997

MS invested into Apple as part of a settlement over the Windows GUI.

handy
January 2nd, 2008, 02:13 AM
MS invested into Apple as part of a settlement over the Windows GUI.

That is not mentioned in the Time magazine articles.

The way it was presented was that Jobs asked Bill to invest, Bill bought 50% non-voting shares & saved Apple's butt.

From what I have been told, the shares were sold by Bill inside of a 12 month period.