PDA

View Full Version : Switching

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I currently want to take a break from Ubuntu..

I actually want to install Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu because I finally got fedup of the god awful Gnome interface...enlightenment or metacity, I don't like it.

I am now downloading 3 distros, Ark Linux, Simply Mepis, and Pc Linux OS. If none of them go well, I have Cent Os ready as a cd, and if that doesn't go well too, I might try Gentoo..though I doubt it. Probably I will have already installed Kubuntu instead.

One of my pet peeves... that in the Ship-it cds, KDE is not included with Ubuntu. So much free-space...something like 70 mb, surely KDE could have been installed?
Or maybe instead of the Live CD, we could have had a Kubuntu CD? Or betterstill, we could order Kubuntu Cds instead of just Ubuntu Cds...

Anyway, I'll still be on the forums, but not as active as usual.. There is a great community here, but I wish the distro could be improved..

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I currently want to take a break from Ubuntu..

I actually want to install Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu because I finally got fedup of the god awful Gnome interface...enlightenment or metacity, I don't like it.

I am now downloading 3 distros, Ark Linux, Simply Mepis, and Pc Linux OS. If none of them go well, I have Cent Os ready as a cd, and if that doesn't go well too, I might try Gentoo..though I doubt it. Probably I will have already installed Kubuntu instead.

One of my pet peeves... that in the Ship-it cds, KDE is not included with Ubuntu. So much free-space...something like 70 mb, surely KDE could have been installed?
Or maybe instead of the Live CD, we could have had a Kubuntu CD? Or betterstill, we could order Kubuntu Cds instead of just Ubuntu Cds...

Anyway, I'll still be on the forums, but not as active as usual.. There is a great community here, but I wish the distro could be improved..
Ark Linux will likely annoy you. It did me.

Mepis might like you, its a good stable dist.

Pc Linux OS is a great starter, but youll get annoyed at how similar it is to Mandriva, largely because its what its based on.

Cent OS is just RHEL 4 compiled from source, you might as well run Fedora.

Gentoo is a good learning experience , Id install it just to get some knowledge out of it.

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Ark Linux... why did it annoy you? I want to know....

Gentoo... I am afraid of installing it, and school is beginning in 2-3 weeks, and I want a stable pc...

I also don't have Fedora Core 4, and I don't want to download it when I have Cent OS as a DVD (Linux Format cover dvd)

madjo
September 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
you do know that KDE is easily installed even if you have Ubuntu installed? (through Synaptic, or if you prefer CLI apt-get install) :)

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
The Installer was antiquated, didnt like my hardware, package management was a bust, and overall it didnt run the way it was meant too.

Then after it took me a number of days configuring it and getting it the way I wanted, I then ran into some corruption issues.

I think the only best part of my experience with Ark Linux, was the installer's little Tetris game that you can play while its installing that piece of crap.

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
madjo : I do know that.. but I want to start from scratch...

WirelessMike
September 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I have a kubuntu live cd. Looks awesome. I agree-- It should be included on the install cd.

You can kubuntu live here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hoary/kubuntu-5.04-live-i386.iso

Other kubuntu isos here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hoary/

Wolki
September 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM

When i try to install kubuntu-desktop, it'll tell me it needs to get 74 mb from the net. I already have a select few kde apps installed, so i already have kdelibs, qt and soem other stuff. So no, 70 mb wouldn't be enough.

Also, it's good to leave some free space for future additions to Ubuntu. It would suck having applications that are in one release removed in the next to add new programs. (replacing apps is ok of course... i so hope they get rid of the stupid cd player)

Also it wouln't be that great to hab kubuntu included with the ShipIt cds. Not because i'm against Kubuntu per se, but because you shouldn't force someone to decide when he probably doesn't know anything about them. Keep it on one cd, default to only one alternative are what ubuntu does and what many people like about it. If you want many options and everything included, go for multi-cd or dvd based distros.

lgoss007
September 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I was at first put off by Gnome, but I guess I just got used to it because I liked the simplicity of Ubuntu (that and RPM's rubbed me the wrong way). Well Gnome definately doesn't run Enlightenment (well not by default at least). Otherwise your desktop might look something like one of these here:
E17 Screenshots (http://www.get-e.org/Screenshots/User_Submitted/index.html)

Which is what my desktop looks like since that's what I'm running now on Ubuntu :D

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Nope.

Sounds confusing. The eventual goal is to have the Live CD be the install CD.

Qrk
September 7th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Kubuntu is 344MB when you install it through apt.