PDA

View Full Version : Changing my obsolete graphics card

Vic!
December 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM
i was wondering if i could replace my fx 5500 geforce with something newer... i only have a pci slot not the pci express. any help is appreciated..... thanx guys and happy holidays!!

-grubby
December 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM
you might as well stick with the integrated...you can't get a videocard that still runs on PCI.....

mips
December 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM
i only have a pci slot not the pci express.

Sure you don't have a AGP slot ?

igknighted
December 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Whats wrong with an FX5500? It's still fully supported by the latest nvidia drivers, it runs compiz et.al. perfectly well and unless you are gaming rather hardcore probably doesn't hold you back at all. I still use geforce4 's and vanta's on some computers with no issues, so the 5500 should be fine.

Not to mention, PCI is two generations back (AGP was in between). You can find newer cards with PCI interfaces, but the will be bottlenecked and not perform as well, and they will also cost far more than their PCI-E and AGP cousins. Your best bet would be to upgrade the whole thing at once when the situation warrents it.

dnns123
December 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I agree with the one above me. It's better if you upgrade your comp. Theres a nice market right now for bang-for-buck computer parts. Abit, NVidia GF6/7, SATA hdds

red_five
December 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
And, AGP 8x is only slightly worse-performing than PCI-E x16, almost to be basically unnoticeable. PCI, on the other hand...

Now, if someone could help me figure out how to replace the Mobile Radeon 9000 in my Latitude D600 with a GeForce4Go or something, that would be killer!