PDA

View Full Version : 2.12 Splash Screen Winner

weekend warrior
September 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Here it is folks - the winner for the new splash screen in Gnome 2.12 What do you think?

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/contests/2.12-splash/Splash-GNOMEInSilkEvolving2.png

Personally speaking, well... :-k It's different.

crun
September 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Hmm... I like the 3D logo, but the "2.12" seems a bit out of place. Not sure what it's supposed to represent, or if it's just a pretty picture.

The winning artist's page on art.gnome.org (http://art.gnome.org/users/Xilef)

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
It doesn't do anything for me. I'll probably stick with Blackbox.

Perfect Storm
September 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Well...It's all about taste I guess. But not mine I'm afraid :/

lao_V
September 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I think its quite weak. "Gnome" is not very easy to read and is quite bland along with "2.12" and I can't even figure out what the flaking object is meant to be!! The foot???

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I think its quite weak. "Gnome" is not very easy to read and is quite bland along with "2.12" and I can't even figure out what the flaking object is meant to be!! The foot???

Yeah, it looks like the foot. I think it looks like crap, but I wasn't on the committee. Besides, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to art.

lao_V
September 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Personally, I think, this one looks much better Gnome 2.12 (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/contests/2.12-splash/Splash-GNOMEInSilkSolid.png)

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Personally, I think, this one looks much better Gnome 2.12 (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/contests/2.12-splash/Splash-GNOMEInSilkSolid.png)

I agree.

Lovechild
September 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I'm waiting for them to completely remove the splashscreen, it doesn't present any relevant information, it hurts distro branding (presenting several logos after each other namely bbootsplash, gdm and gnome).

It serves no purpose, it's insane.. please kill the splash for 2.14 GNOME developers.

When all the SoC start up hits CVS, the optimal scenerio would be GNOME just popping up so deadfast we can believe it, without displaying useless crap.

Wolki
September 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM
It's something different... I like it's look, too blue for me though. Gnome 2.10's was better, but that one was a really nice Idea and you can't have that each time. Why not go for something artistic once in a while?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, it's not like Ubuntuers will see a lot of it. I'm interested more in the Ubuntu Gnome 2.12 splash.

TristanMike
September 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Not my taste, but whatever. The thing that bothers me is that it was made with mac/windows software. I would think that the winner of something like this should be created out of Linux only software(Wine/Cedega, etc. doesn't count). Maybe it could never really be proven but still.

bored2k
September 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Personally, I don't like it. It looks like I just barfed at the logo and it dispersed. It also feels like X-Mas.

XDevHald
September 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Sorry to say, but the word GNOME in the background is horrific with that image.

mike998
September 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
One word : YUK!
It's way too busy with the dissolving Gnome Foot (is this a portent of events to come?) I do agree, the non-dissolving foot looks WAY better...
I'll stick with a custom splash screen.

papangul
September 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
The caption by the artist is "simply evolving", but it seems to convey "simply dissipating". Is this art? This is *art.

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM
plop, plop, fizzzz...

the message:

GNOME: JUST LIKE RECOVERING FROM A HANGOVER

weekend warrior
September 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Lol :mrgreen: - I do have to admit that Alka Seltzer was the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/4214/alkaseltzer3ky.jpg

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Lol :mrgreen: - I do have to admit that Alka Seltzer was the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/4214/alkaseltzer3ky.jpg

Me 2.

Spoofhound
September 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
If the intention is to indicate "finally, all of the pieces fall into place" - then it makes sense, but still looks awful.

It could mean "GNOME 2.12 - watch it dissolve in front of your very eyes"....but I think it looks like an ad for a treatment for Athlete's Foot

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM
It could mean "GNOME 2.12 - watch it dissolve in front of your very eyes"....

VERY LOL...i just embarrased myself at a public terminal by laughing too hard.

X-fact0r
September 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Me 2.
LoL, same here :)

I also agree that the splash sucks real time...

manicka
September 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Just awful - to blue and kde like

bob_c_b
September 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Not my taste, but whatever. The thing that bothers me is that it was made with mac/windows software. I would think that the winner of something like this should be created out of Linux only software(Wine/Cedega, etc. doesn't count). Maybe it could never really be proven but still.

Was it made with Win/Mac software? If so, I agree with your feelings.

lao_V
September 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM
We don't all live in an ethical world not do we?
Sometimes, we may need to switch to a practical world too.

TristanMike
September 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Was it made with Win/Mac software? If so, I agree with your feelings.Yeah, the author says on the comments of that image.
I used Cinema4D and Photoshop.
Sometimes, we may need to switch to a practical world too.I'm curious, are you saying that that same crappy Splash Screen couldn't be done in Linux or that Linux can't create crappy Splash Screens, please elaborate. :)

primeirocrime
September 8th, 2005, 05:38 PM
hey! that must be one of the ugliest things Man ever made.

bob_c_b
September 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Situational ethics really don't work, this is a case where F/OSS tools are available and should have been used. Of course there is some software and some circumstances where that isn't possible, but I don't believe this was one.

And if the artist was going to completely ignore the F/OSS culture the least he could have done was make something less..... insert your own description.

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Not for something as simple as a splash screen. It should have been done using OSS tools, it doesn't matter THAT much.

escuchamezz
September 8th, 2005, 08:00 PM
that splashscreen sucks so much, imagine these guys taste on women LOL

weekend warrior
September 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Well I can see I didn't need to add a poll! Looks like 100% "bleh!" so far. Interesting in such a diverse forum, nobody has come out in full-blooded support for this splash screen.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the Gnome 2.12 LiveCD and the splash screen currently in 2.12 isn't Alka-Seltzer. It's one with a vertical solid foot to the left side that mimics the wallpaper and much nicer.

One thing I find a bit odd is that Gnome 2.12 has been released with a bugged Clearlooks default theme. The top window corners are rounded and pointed at the same time. That's pretty careless imo. If it were one of the others then fine, but the default theme...?

Ride Jib
September 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I have had bowel movements that look better than that thing.

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
One thing I find a bit odd is that Gnome 2.12 has been released with a bugged Clearlooks default theme. The top window corners are rounded and pointed at the same time. That's pretty careless imo. If it were one of the others then fine, but the default theme...?

Its because of Cairo I think. A new Clearlooks theme is being made just for Cairo.

racecat
September 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Wow! Seems like some of us really don't like this. I personally DO kind of like it. Why is it important?

I guess I'm missing the point.

Bill

xequence
September 9th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I dont really like it... But heh.

But is it just me or do we not see a gnome splash screen? Keep it that way ;)

benplaut
September 9th, 2005, 03:05 AM
I'm waiting for them to completely remove the splashscreen, it doesn't present any relevant information, it hurts distro branding (presenting several logos after each other namely bbootsplash, gdm and gnome).

It serves no purpose, it's insane.. please kill the splash for 2.14 GNOME developers.

When all the SoC start up hits CVS, the optimal scenerio would be GNOME just popping up so deadfast we can believe it, without displaying useless crap.

it's easy to remove, but, still, it'll never be removed by default :roll:

Lux Perpetua
September 9th, 2005, 04:20 AM
My thoughts:

1) The 3D dissolving/whatever foot is a good idea and very well executed.

2) Why are the ends of the word "Gnome" cut off? Much of the word is also obscured by the foot. The composition is botched. If you look at the artist's page on art.gnome.org, interestingly, there are various versions of this same image, and none of them really gets it right.

3) Who cares if he used proprietary software? Maybe he doesn't want to spend eternity learning a new program, having already mastered another suitable one (and having a deadline to meet!). Maybe he's tried the open source alternatives and just prefers this one. I'll stop speculating here, because it doesn't matter why he used what he used. Come on, people, let the artist choose his method. If children start dying or the air turns brown or you lose your job, then get worked up about it; otherwise, let it be.

TrailerTrash
September 9th, 2005, 04:31 AM
well...I guess its OK.. O:)

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Written by poofyhairguy
Its because of Cairo I think. A new Clearlooks theme is being made just for Cairo.
Fair enough then, especially if they're working on reducing the pixelation of those rounded corners.

TristanMike
September 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
3) Who cares if he used proprietary software? Maybe he doesn't want to spend eternity learning a new program, having already mastered another suitable one (and having a deadline to meet!). Maybe he's tried the open source alternatives and just prefers this one. I'll stop speculating here, because it doesn't matter why he used what he used. Come on, people, let the artist choose his method. If children start dying or the air turns brown or you lose your job, then get worked up about it; otherwise, let it be.And maybe there were other just a suitable choices that the artist decided to use F/OSS software. But you're right, it's not a problem, just a dissapointment.

bigzak
September 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Like most people in this topic, I am really not impressed with it. Alka Seltzer was the first thing that popped into my head too.

1) The 3D dissolving/whatever foot is a good idea and very well executed.

In what way is it a 'good' idea specifically? It's an idea, but I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to represent - hangover cures or a desktop that falls apart. Combine that with the fact that I had to conciously figure out what it was before I realised that it was supposed to be the Gnome foot, and the word GNOME being almost entirely obscured by the particles and low contrast, and you can see why many think that it's not been very well executed :)

Lux Perpetua
September 10th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I just think it looks cool, and it's nicely rendered with good highlights and shadows. In that sentence, I wasn't including the "GNOME" in the background. (I agree, that part is poorly executed.)

Totzo
September 10th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I think that I've seen some inspired splash screens in my time and this one just looks crap in comparison, how it won anything is amazing to me!

egon spengler
September 10th, 2005, 03:08 AM
It took me a few seconds to discern it was supposed to be the gnome foot but I think it's a nice render. Not sure if I'd agree that "Too blue" is much of a criticism and I don't think that the word Gnome being partially concealed is much of a hinderence. I mean it's far from the first instance of that style of composition ever being used so I don't know where the shock comes from, plus anyone who ever sees that splash screen is either going to know that they are using Gnome or not care that they are using Gnome so I don't think it's that important