PDA

View Full Version : just a quick hello and some praise to the ubuntu team

MinoltaLuvR
September 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
i've been an on again, off again user of linux for a very long time... admittedly more off again. my last go around was with Mandrake linux, and while it wasnt too bad to setup, it didnt take me long to notice a whole lot was messed up under the hood, and it felt too bloated.
so i took a long break from linux, untill i heard about Ubuntu. a friend had installed it on his AMD 64, and i thought, why not.

i gotta say, the install was a complete breeze! and after following the Ubuntuguide. i had my AMD 32bit box going well.
at the moment i'm dual booting win2k and ubuntu (and i wasnt affraid to install grub to the MBR either hehe)
i've never been a huge fan of Gnome (always liked Windowmaker) this gnome desktop is great!

every video i've thrown at this os has played, mp3's playback flawlessly without causing system to pause even for a second. and all in all, ubuntu is handling my hardware far better than my MS os.
the only application i am gonna truly miss (besides the occasional windows game) is Photoshop.. Gimp was always cool, i just have to relearn it.

so thanks guys, it looks like i may actually enjoy using this flavour of linux, instead of spending my time configuring it (aka mandrake). i'd post a screen of my desktop, but its pretty much the default install (i love plain desktops with nothing on it).

heres my hardware specs:
1.2ghz Athlon thunderbird
Fic AZ11EA mobo
Hercules Gametheater XP
512megs of PC133 ram
Abit Siluro Geforce 4 Ti4200 64meg AGP
western digital caviar 120gig drive, and a 15gig WD caviar.
Liteon CDRW
some generic NIC card (swapped out a couple of these, Ubuntu configured each one every time)

i hope this is the right section of the forum for this thread, if not, sorry.
again cheers ubuntu team for a job well done i know i'm happy.

cheers
john.

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 02:08 PM
i've been an on again, off again user of linux for a very long time... admittedly more off again. my last go around was with Mandrake linux, and while it wasnt too bad to setup, it didnt take me long to notice a whole lot was messed up under the hood, and it felt too bloated.
so i took a long break from linux, untill i heard about Ubuntu. a friend had installed it on his AMD 64, and i thought, why not.

i gotta say, the install was a complete breeze! and after following the Ubuntuguide. i had my AMD 32bit box going well.
at the moment i'm dual booting win2k and ubuntu (and i wasnt affraid to install grub to the MBR either hehe)
i've never been a huge fan of Gnome (always liked Windowmaker) this gnome desktop is great!

every video i've thrown at this os has played, mp3's playback flawlessly without causing system to pause even for a second. and all in all, ubuntu is handling my hardware far better than my MS os.
the only application i am gonna truly miss (besides the occasional windows game) is Photoshop.. Gimp was always cool, i just have to relearn it.

so thanks guys, it looks like i may actually enjoy using this flavour of linux, instead of spending my time configuring it (aka mandrake). i'd post a screen of my desktop, but its pretty much the default install (i love plain desktops with nothing on it).

heres my hardware specs:
1.2ghz Athlon thunderbird
Fic AZ11EA mobo
Hercules Gametheater XP
512megs of PC133 ram
Abit Siluro Geforce 4 Ti4200 64meg AGP
western digital caviar 120gig drive, and a 15gig WD caviar.
Liteon CDRW
some generic NIC card (swapped out a couple of these, Ubuntu configured each one every time)

i hope this is the right section of the forum for this thread, if not, sorry.
again cheers ubuntu team for a job well done i know i'm happy.

cheers
john.
woohoo.
^_^