PDA

View Full Version : "If Linux is so good, how can Windows still be so prominent?" and other questions...

matthewcraig
December 5th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Today, this good summary of how Microsoft's vendor lock-in effects home computer users was published. I enjoyed reading this article's reasoning. I am sure all of you have been asked these questions, when you are excitedly talking about Ubuntu. It is not always easy to put into simple terms and analogies big ideas like software lock-in.

http://handyfloss.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/vendor-lock-in-for-dummies/

aysiu
December 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
That's a good article. Thanks for sharing.

DoctorMO
December 5th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Good article, *hug*

Jupp
December 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi,
Isn't it the inertness of the mass? Buying cheap computers from the distributers with preinstalled Microsoft Windows, the most people aren't willing or able to move to linux.

KillerSponge
December 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The main problem is: how to break this lock-in. People who use, for example, Photoshop, will never completely switch to Linux, because then they can't use Photoshop. So, there is no demand from the Linux market for Photoshop. Thus, Adobe will not make a version for it.

I think Wine plays an important role here. They can make Photoshop users switch by letting Photoshop run on Linux. And if enough of those users do that, there will be enough demand for a native Linux version, and Adobe will eventually create one.

altonbr
December 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Personally, I think it's more: Type-B (including everything the article said about them: better, faster, etc.) cars can work in Type-A gas stations but it's the mechanics and auto-dealers that have no incentive to sell Type-B cars since they're comfortable with Type-A cars and get PAID to sell Type-A cars. Doesn't matter who's is better, "money makes the world spin 'round."