PDA

View Full Version : Differences With Linux Mint...

shafin
December 5th, 2007, 12:54 AM
As Linux mint is a derivative of ubuntu,what are the main differences between them,also,are the changes in mint ported to ubuntu as packages?

-grubby
December 5th, 2007, 12:57 AM
as far as I know it's only added codecs and done some other minor things (although maybe I'm wrong because I certainly find Linux mint XFCE faster than Xubuntu)

ericartman
December 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I also like Mints remaster disk option for making a live cd of your system, this is in the repositories for Ubuntu though. I agree Mint seems faster though it may just be in my head, ain't sure, haven't been there in a while.

Cart

raul_
December 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Different artwork, pre-loaded packages and repositories?

dward526
December 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM
It is more similar to Ubuntu then Ubuntu is to Debian. Some noticeable differences are the fact that 'restricted' codecs are native, as is ndiswrapper for WiFi. During install you can enable the classic root account or use sudo, and I believe the repositories are different. Still uses Debs and the apt-get base tools for package management.

Certain machines run beautifully with it, others you basically have to de-engineer the OS to close to Debian. It is because it is offering a more tweaked package that it has this problem/advantage.

Hairy_Palms
December 5th, 2007, 02:29 AM
it also has its own menu, the 'mintmenu' that is a modification of usp, its started reinventing the wheel lately though, with its own update tool which (imo) is worse than ubuntus update manager and adding a useless level of abstraction for packages with .mint files with no benefits over gdebi.

kevr
August 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
There are slight changes in Linux Mint over Ubuntu. Deep down, they are the same operating system, but Mint nicely strips some of the default bloat that Ubuntu gives you on certain window managers to slim down the usage.

Linux Mint have developers that program tools for users, to make things a lot easier for the unknowing Linux user. They have repositories for them. They change up the theming method and use different folders in the filesystem to hold some information about the desktop.

Mint is basically Ubuntu with some eyecandy added and some more convenience given. But the Mint developers do have something crafting up as this thread continues, and I think a lot of people will be satisfied of it's outcome.

earthpigg
August 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
the update system and package manager, while not revolutionary on any technical level, are certainly a new take on an old concept.

you can read the reviews of other mint users on a given package from within the package manager, for example. a wiki meets a package manager meets yelp, essentially.

Elfy
August 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
3 year old year needs closing