PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade a stubborn Dad away from the AOL browser?

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
How can I get Dad to understand just how naff AOL is?:(

p_quarles
December 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Run Spybot S&D and show him how much junk it's put on his hard drive.

Lostincyberspace
December 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
show Him fire fox.

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
(Spybot S&D comment)
You mean that's where....?

:censored:!

:lolflag:

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
My mom says AOL is the easiest thing to use in the world and that none of the other browsers get it. I showed her Firefox and Seamonkey, but she just wants AOL, so I don't push the issue.

discoade
December 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Nooo! show him seamonkey!

BDNiner
yeah run spybot and show him the AOL is a virus bent on taking over your entire computer.

stoodleysnow
show Him fire fox.

I did, but he isn't that easily convinced.:(:(

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM
AOL is a virus?
that would explain the warning messages...

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
well better yet show him opera, Opera is a all in one app like AOL is, the only thing it doesnt have is IM.
But it does have a built in mail client, chat client and all sorts of funky quick access stuff.
Did you even try to tell them how insecure AOL is?

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I did, but he isn't that easily convinced.:(:(

As a last resort, you can try buying Netscape 9 for him, though I wouldn't push the issue too much since he is happy with AOL (why use something new when what you have works?).

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM
As a last resort, you can try buying Netscape 9 for him, though I wouldn't push the issue too much since he is happy with AOL (why use something new when what you have works?).

Buy netscape 9???
you know its free right?
Its not exacly free as in freedom but it is at least free as in beer

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Oh, right, I am a little tired right now ;)

DoctorMO
December 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM
My in law has all the AOL garbage all over her computer even though she's using IE. it's such a pitty because the computer could be so much more responsive.

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Sigh. Dad's too busy right now to talk about it.

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Oh, right, I am a little tired right now ;)

Uh huh, its only netscapes internet service that costs, not the browser

Harpalus
December 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Why try to persuade him in the first place? It seems to work for him. He likes it. Is it that important that everyone runs the best software?

To most people, what browser/OS they use is about as important as what colour their pen happens to be. Nobody cares. Trying to force the issue and nag them about it only makes you look like a telemarketer.

Luggy
December 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
People don't like change, especially old people...
Just go with it, it's easier that way.

koleoptero
December 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Try uninstalling it and then telling him "If you want it so much put it back yourself". Perhaps he'll be too tired to do that and just use firefox or whatever you prefer.:lolflag:

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
People don't like change, especially old people...
Just go with it, it's easier that way.

Heh, he's only 44!:)

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Try uninstalling it and then telling him "If you want it so much put it back yourself". Perhaps he'll be too tired to do that and just use firefox or whatever you prefer.:lolflag:

He'll probably come back by wiping Ubuntu off my PC, saying the same thing...
Less drastic measures needed.

user1397
December 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
He'll probably come back by wiping Ubuntu off my PC, saying the same thing...
Less drastic measures needed.if you insist so much...

Don't do anything until he has some time to kill, and is in a good mood. Then proceed to take him to a computer and show him with detailed explanations all the equivalents of firefox to the AOL browser, and then come up with some doomsday-sounding cryptic statements about the security of AOL software, and say that he should just trust you because you are more experienced in these matters...that might do the trick :)

hackle577
December 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM
come up with some doomsday-sounding cryptic statements about the security of AOL software

"See Dad, this AOL browser can overload your EEPROMs, and run a reverse UDP traceroute through your bootloader. Soon enough, all your ROT26-encrypted data streaming through the AJAX buffer will erase your Xorg.conf, at which point you're totally screwed. You should use Firefox."

:-)

user1397
December 5th, 2007, 12:55 AM
"See Dad, this AOL browser can overload your EEPROMs, and run a reverse UDP traceroute through your bootloader. Soon enough, all your ROT26-encrypted data streaming through the AJAX buffer will erase your Xorg.conf, at which point you're totally screwed. You should use Firefox."

:-)Perfect! :)

Mateo
December 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
i didn't even realize AOL still made a browser. Wow, talk about a blast from the past. I still remember the old school AOL browser. The internet sure has changed since those days.

Spr0k3t
December 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Open the hosts file and block *.aol.com. Then go into your router and block the IP range for AOL. Another option would be to redirect all requests for *.aol.com to a public "why aol is bad" article.

Don't get me wrong... AOL is fantastic if that is your only option... however, if AOL is one option of many, only the uneducated demand to use AOL.

macogw
December 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Show him Firefox extensions. The URL Link one is particularly nice (non-linked URLs can be highlighted and opened as if they were linked). Download Statusbar is nice too.

fuscia
December 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
you should just leave him alone. no one likes a zealot. they'd rather do it the wrong way than to do it your way. instead, trying being a jerk about it. shake your head and say something like "so, you raise me to be such and such and you use AOL? LOL! i guess you weren't serious." or, "your mother-in-law loooooooooves AOL".