PDA

View Full Version : Perfect PIM needed -- like the one I have

gallilaw
December 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I have been using a personal information manager in Windows for many years. Here's what it can do:

When I add a person to my book, in addition to a large number of home and business addresses and phone numbers, I can also assign to the person up to 100 "search keys" that I can make up, such as "lawyer" or "bob's wife" or "Jewish" or "snowboard" or anything else that will help me remember them. I can ALSO assign the person to a "Group" that I make up, such as "plumbers" or "assassins for hire."

The PIM lets me search by last name, first name, a lot of other options -- and also by search key or by group. So, I could recall a list of all the people with the search key "snowboard" and I will get a list of everyone with that search key. I can choose to keep only some of them in the display if I want to. AND I can search for a separate list of everyone in the group "plumbers"... AND I can combine the two lists into one list.

Now here's the beauty part. The PIM adds itself as a menu item in MS Word (I still use Word 97). The PIM helps me make letter, envelope and label templates. From Word, I can select "multiple envelopes" and the PIM opens up, lets me choose the envelope format I want, lets me choose the people I want (using search keys and groups if I want to) and the PIM automatically adds their names and addresses to the envelopes, each of which I can view on screen before the whole bunch is printed.

I bought the first version of this PIM in about 1993, and it has been a very important part of my computing life ever since. It makes putting out letters to a mailing list with envelopes a breeze.

I have been trying to switch to Linux for a while now. My Ubuntu system runs fine, but nowhere can I locate any Linux PIM that will even come close to what my current PIM was doing in its 1.0 version about 14 years ago.

If you can point me to something that can replace it, please do. I am very interested and so far very disappointed.

Richard Galli

original_jamingrit
December 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have been using a personal information manager in Windows for many years. Here's what it can do:
[...]

If noone has any decent suggestions for a PIM, then take a look at "tomboy", a wiki-style note manager that comes installed with Ubuntu.

In it, each note is made of a title and a body. If any words in the body of a note match the title of another note, they automagically become a link to it.

Whiffle
December 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that I could do that all in one form or another with Kontact + Kword. I doubt it works exactly the same, but from a quick look at both programs I think I could do it.

Incense
December 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Kontact should have a lot of the functionality you are looking for. Have you given that a go yet?