PDA

View Full Version : A decent Calendar

wakeboarder
December 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I can't figure this one out.

How come Google can build a Calendar app that rocks in no time and the entire Linux/OSS community haven't been able to build one single calendar in all these years worth the name?

Yeah yeah I know about Evolution, Lightning etc but I just hate them...poor functionality, lots of bugs, etc etc

Whiffle
December 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Have you tried Kontact? I've got it setup to sync my calender between 2 computers via ssh, it syncs with my treo, and does a nice job with email too.

mali2297
December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Have you tried cal?

Feature list:

-1 Display single month output. (This is the default.)

-3 Display prev/current/next month output.

-s Display Sunday as the first day of the week. (This is the
default.)

-m Display Monday as the first day of the week.

-j Display Julian dates (days one-based, numbered from Jan-
uary 1).

-y Display a calendar for the current year.

Screenshot:

december 2007
må ti on to fr lö sö
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

It is ultra-stable, it hasn't failed me once.

bruce89
December 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
5 minutes:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int
main (int *argc, char **argv)
{
GtkWidget *window;
GtkWidget *calendar;

gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

window = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
gtk_container_set_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (window), 6);

calendar = gtk_calendar_new ();
gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), calendar);
gtk_widget_show (calendar);

gtk_widget_show (window);

gtk_main ();
return 0;
}

Nano Geek
December 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I can't figure this one out.

How come Google can build a Calendar app that rocks in no time and the entire Linux/OSS community haven't been able to build one single calendar in all these years worth the name?

Yeah yeah I know about Evolution, Lightning etc but I just hate them...poor functionality, lots of bugs, etc etcProbably Google can build a calender like that due to the fact that they pay millions of dollars to I'm guessing hundreds of developers to make their software.

Incense
December 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Have you tried Kontact? I've got it setup to sync my calender between 2 computers via ssh, it syncs with my treo, and does a nice job with email too.

+1

igknighted
December 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If you like google's calender so much, why not use it? Even if you're not always online, you could use google-gears to still use your calender. Not sure if gears is ready for the calender yet though, but if it isn't it should be soon.

Crashmaxx
December 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
If you like google's calender so much, why not use it? Even if you're not always online, you could use google-gears to still use your calender. Not sure if gears is ready for the calender yet though, but if it isn't it should be soon.

+1

That's what I use, its the best way I've found.

notwen
December 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Have you looked into Rainlendar (http://www.rainlendar.net/)?

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I use Sunbird with the google calendar extention and the ics feed. It works like a charm, and i have an anywhere, anytime calendar.

EmilyRose
December 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I can't get the google calendar extention to install cause' it says I need vs 0.7 but the one in the repos is 0.5 and doesn't find any updates...

pt123
December 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
there is a how to install on this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278206