PDA

View Full Version : BT Speedtest Terminology? IP Profile?

MonkeyBoy
December 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I have been doing the speedtester.bt.com test for Pipex, my isp, because I have been having problems with my speed. I keep getting results like:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6976 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 112 kbps

Can anyone explain what these terms actually mean? I just spoke to Pipex tech support and they were a bit condescending but I got the impression they didn't know what these numbers mean either.

I am particularly interested in what an IP Profile is as I suspect this has some deep relevance in my problems.

Apologies if this would be best posted elsewhere.

Lostincyberspace
December 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Could you put up a link to it so I can check the above mention address doesn't work. But I think that is the speed you should get.

I think it is made up though for them because a real Ip profile is like your Ip address.

mips
December 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Basically says:

Actual physical line speed is 448kb/s up, 6976kb/s (6Mb/s) down.

The actual speed you are getting is 112kb/s which is way below what it should be.

MonkeyBoy
December 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Sorry I put the wrong url there. It should be this (http://speedtester.bt.com/). The IP profile is the mystery part really. I get the impression from googling it that it is some sort of choke on my speed but I'm not sure.

gn2
December 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

OK here goes:

IP profile: this is the speed at which the exchange will attempt to communicate with your router.

DSL Connection rate: This is the fastest speed attainable on your line.

Actual throughput rate: self explanatory.

You have a simply dreadful speed result there.

Lots of useful UK ADSL info at www.kitz.co.uk

MonkeyBoy
December 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Cheers! That is excellent gn2. That link explains it all. I suspected it was something like that but couldn't get confirmation.

It sounds like Pipex need to get BT to reset my profile so I can build it up to a reasonable speed again. I don't know why it went that low though. I use to get 5000-6000 until last week.

gn2
December 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
It sounds like Pipex need to get BT to reset my profile so I can build it up to a reasonable speed again. I don't know why it went that low though. I use to get 5000-6000 until last week.
Could have been any number of things.
Has there been any alteration to your phone wiring or extension cables?
I had an upgrade to Sky+ yesterday and the engineer left the Sky+ phone line unfiltered.
I was not amused when I came home from work and the internet speed had dropped to 1meg :(
Had a look behind the sofa and found the adsl filter lying on the carpet.
Plugged back in and normal service resumed :)

You need to continue doing more speed tests through the BT Speedtester and keep a file of the URL's of the results then e-mail Pipex support with them and get them to extract the digit regarding the profile.

You may also have fallen foul of the FUP/AUP if you've been downloading heavily?
Some ISP's will dramatically throttle you for downloading what they deem as too much.